Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tinted my tail lights today. Wasnt sure i was going to do it. normally dont like messing with paint but figured i would give it a shot. They turned out great. Went with 2 coats just wanted them tinted not blacked out. Here is one pic taken with my phone so not great quality but you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Nice. Looks darker than I thought for just 2 coats.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Looks nice, looks like you used 2 medium-thick coats. usually with nite shades, you do 2 extremely light coats, then a medium coat.... then add more if you need.

2,213 Posts
clear coat them, they look so much better. 2 shots of clear coat, let it dry over night, then wet sand em with 1500 grit, then use some polishing compound, comes out really good

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K i will work on the clear and wet sand on sat. And i would agree i used about 2 med coats. I like the look of them alot. they are not blacked out like others i have seen. you can still see they are red just darker. The picture is def darker than they really are.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think i want them to be a little more shiney like the factory finish on the tails. Should be good. will post up some good pics this weekend when i get done with the clear coat and wet sand. Then i will have my good camera that my wife left at work last night :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks good.. One of the 1st things I did to mine. The clear coat is key. Especially in the 1st years.. It makes it look factory. And more "leagal" depending on the state/country..

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Just so you know,

To clear coat them:

1. wet sand with 1500 or 2000 grit
2. Apply a light coat of clear
3. apply a medium coat
4. apply a third coat if necessary.
5. wait for it to dry. (most cans have a time on it that you have to wait before sanding)
6. Wet sand with 2000 grit
7. Buff it with meguiars scratch x 2.0
8. Wax it (if you feel like it)

2nd, legality:

I don't know about legality in Iowa, but in PA, the law is that your running lights and brake lights have to be visible from 100 Ft away at any time. (morning or night)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i picked up a sheet of 2000 and 2500 this morning on my way to work and will get them done when i get off at noon. I am not sure what the law here in iowa is but i can tell you they can been seen from way over 100ft way. Looking at them in person they still have a red tint to them not blacked out like i have seen on other cars. Even backing into my driveway last night i could see behind me with th back up lights on so i know they are well bright enough.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well here are the updated pics. turned out good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What kind of spray did you use anybody got pics of tintied headlights?????

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is what i used. I would not use any tint other than maybe yellow on the headlights. you dont want to dim your headlights at all.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm almost positive if I did a search I would come up with a billion threads on VHT. Now posting pics would have been the best thing to do. Since I don't know how the Bright Silver looks with tinted tails and I want to do it to mine.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am jealous man that looks real clean.

I am removing mine. Can't get my car inspected anywhere in MA with tinted tails =( SADNESSS..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya i love the way the turned out. Pics are way darker than they are in person. In person you can still see some red shining thru when the sun is brite.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts