Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried a 255/35R18 on the GT's stock wheels/suspension geometry? They're .1 inch less in diameter, but 1.1 inches wider, not too shabby...

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are probably too wide and will rub on suspension stuff. You’d also want different wheels
Exactly why I was asking if someone has tried the size... As for the wheels, the stock ones should do just fine as they're 18x8s a 10" wide tire isn't too extreme and would actually provide good lip protection especially compared to those "stance" enthusiasts that try to fit a narrow tread on a wide tire! I'm putting 18x10s on my FD with 275/35R18s front and 295/35R18s rear, and that rear tire is nearly a foot wide. I've seen all kinds of folks online with Fortes rocking the stock tire size with aftermarket 18s and an offset to make it more flush, so the wider tire should fit without rubbing in the any outer surfaces. Inner fender wells and the suspension components would be the other concern.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
244 Posts
Exactly why I was asking if someone has tried the size... As for the wheels, the stock ones should do just fine as they're 18x8s a 10" wide tire isn't too extreme and would actually provide good lip protection especially compared to those "stance" enthusiasts that try to fit a narrow tread on a wide tire! I'm putting 18x10s on my FD with 275/35R18s front and 295/35R18s rear, and that rear tire is nearly a foot wide. I've seen all kinds of folks online with Fortes rocking the stock tire size with aftermarket 18s and an offset to make it more flush, so the wider tire should fit without rubbing in the any outer surfaces. Inner fender wells and the suspension components would be the other concern.
Yeah I was thinking inner stuff. I don’t think outer would be a concern. I also forgot the GT has factory 225s - my FE has 195s. So maybe you could make it work? Someone with a GT could probably chime in

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 2020 Kia Stinger wheels and tires on my 2021 base model Forte FE (235 / 40 -19 in front & 255 / 35 -19 in the rear). It really makes the car "pop" visually and handle 10X better than the stockers.

Reactions: noturbonoproblem

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes, please show us!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
AND I was wrong on the front tire size. They are actually 225/40-19 not 235/40-19. Rears are 255/35-19.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AND I was wrong on the front tire size. They are actually 225/40-19 not 235/40-19. Rears are 255/35-19.
Those definitely look great! Is there a significant stance difference on a FE to GT anyone to help gauge the fit? I'm really starting to think a 255/35R18 would clear just fine, fill the wheel well some, and get a bit more grip!

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
244 Posts
Those definitely look great! Is there a significant stance difference on a FE to GT anyone to help gauge the fit? I'm really starting to think a 255/35R18 would clear just fine, fill the wheel well some, and get a bit more grip!
The FE sits a little taller stock, and has a torsion beam rear end as opposed to the independent setup in back on the GT. The front suspension is the same

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The FE sits a little taller stock, and has a torsion beam rear end as opposed to the independent setup in back on the GT. The front suspension is the same
Roger, so then not apples to apples... I might have to pioneer this one I guess. I'm sure the rear would fit without issue, just concerned with the steering geometry with compression. It's not a ton more tire, but they look beefy on a 8" wide rim, pretty popular with the BMW crowd...

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I spent some time under the car and was able to watch the tires turn from lock to lock and there definitely is some clearance on the outer sides, but the inner is very close to the struts and I think there's a chance (especially under added compression) that the 255s would rub the strut. I'm going to try 235/40R18s instead to be safe. At .3" taller and .4" wider, they should easily clear and are technically more appropriate on an 8" wide rim. It's not a ton more tire, but it is bigger and there are a ton of great options around the $150 mark. Does anyone have a set of GT wheels they're decided to part with? I'd be interested (if the price is right) to get them and expedite trying this option out. I'm thinking of trying ADVAN Apex V601s for the long summers here and running the stock tires and replacing them with all weathers the rest of the year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts