Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some research for the Sorento on rotational mass and unsprung weight I came across as discussion on Tire Pressure vs Rolling Resistance.

Tire inflation pressure seems to be another variable that most do not address on a regular basis. I am now running my Sorento and Koup at 40psi and I can say it doesn't have to work near as hard to move the vehicles. What a difference @ part throttle--especially in the higher gears. The car just feels easier to push.

The articles I read said that most SCCA cone racers run this setup on both street and strip. I am sold.

PS: Look at the MAX Inflation Pressure on the side of the tire. In this case I went 9-10psi under the limit for safety. It should be noted that the articles spoke of alignment techs using max inflation Pressure to properly align the wheels.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at the door placard and see what the reccomended psi is which I believe that it's 32 psi and if you over-inflate the tires and run that for a long period of time you will ruin your tires and completely wear out one half of your tread and not the other which means new tires alot..
Have you heard the news? Other cars with these exact tires running 32psi only make it to 30K. Tires over 30K are ugly and have to go on my vehicles anyways!!

Besides, Like other SCCA racers these are *my tires* and I choose performance and ecomomy (increased MPG) over all tire life. The car is much more responsive now in acceleration and handling.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I almost forgot...

The rule is 1psi per month per tire of leakage if not corrected. My Miata has sat for a many months and was down to 19psi from 30psi. You have to stay on Tire Pressure 1-2 times a month minimum.

The Sorento benefited the most from this exercise as it has 20x9.5's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.