Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Forte LXS came with 16" aluminum wheels and 205/55 R16 tires, like all others of this variant. Kumho Solus TA31 H-rated tires were installed. Last fall, the two passenger-side tired blew out catastrophically, when I got right up to the white line on the edge of a twisty road in New Jersey, and the road was in poor condition with a lot of ruts. One of the two wheels bent. The cracks in the road were deep, and because I was going 40mph, no suspension parts were damaged; just big noises from the two simultaneous and very sharp blowouts. To the car's credit, it retained balance and I had no problem slowing down rapidly and turning off the road, and neither me nor my 16-year old son were ever in danger.

Anyhow, I decided to get completely new set of tires because of my non-confidence in the Kumhos. I purchased a set of Continental TruContact Tour, in the same size: 205/55 R16 91H. Check out the specs on Continental's website or TireRack. We had a lot of snow in NJ this winter, and the tires handled it admirably. I think the TA31s may have very slightly higher cornering limits on dry ground, but the Continentals are much better in the wet and snow. I think these tires are a perfect match for the performance limits of the vehicle. They cost approximately $105 to $110 each plus mounting/balancing and the other BS.

Just so you know, this is strictly personal experience--I have no business or financial interest in Continental or any other tire manufacturer!
Best,
Ed

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I think what you experienced could happen to any tire. Mechanical damage sometimes cannot be avoided no matter what brand you have.

I personally had very good experience with Continentals and Generals. Not so much Michelin, Bridgestone, and the worst were Falkens (nice to look at but very poor overall).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts