Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need to get a new set of tires, but am wondering what size I can go up to from stock size on stock 17 inch rims,

Current size is 215/45/R17 but i want a larger sidewall for a littel more cushier ride.

can i go 225/45/R17 or 235/45/R17?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Even the larger 235/45R17 will only give you 5MM additional sidewall - you'll hardly notice the difference.

I went to 16" wheels on my 2010 SX Sedan to get a SLIGHTLY softer ride.

Fact is my daughter's 2010 EX with 15" wheels felt like it was floating on air compared to the 16" and 17" wheels and tires.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
If you go wider to get larger side wall, you will not gain anything as the width of the tire will take away any gains. Wider becomes stiffer overall (more area to hold the car).
I would rather go 205/50x17

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hello,

I need to get a new set of tires, but am wondering what size I can go up to from stock size on stock 17 inch rims,

Current size is 215/45/R17 but i want a larger sidewall for a littel more cushier ride.

can i go 225/45/R17 or 235/45/R17?
If you want to keep the 17” wheels and get more sidewall I’d suggest 215/50-17. That is a 25.5” tall tire (the stock 215/45-17 is a 24.6” tall tire). This will give you almost 1/2” of extra sidewall.

I know for a fact they will fit. I’ve run both a 225/45-18 tire (25.9” tall) and a 215/45-18 tire (25.6” tall) on my 2011 SX hatchback. Both those tires are taller than the 215/50-17 tire I’m suggesting.

Pics: (wheel is a 18x7” 54mm offset from a 2010 Kia Soul Exclaim)

Tire size:

Passenger side front:

Passenger side rear:

Passenger side front looking rearward:

Passenger side rear looking forward:

Leading edge of passenger side front turned full left:

Trailing edge of passenger side front turned full right:

Passenger side front strut clearance:

These tires have just been replaced with 215/45-18 tires However both the tires pictured and the new tires are taller than the 215/50-17.

Reactions: ForteSX2.4

·
Registered
465 Posts
If on the 17'' wheel, the difference because of sidewall is marginal at best. You can choose a more comfort oriented tire, which has a bit softer sidewall, but even that, will not change the characteristics of the suspension that much. Having said all that, some tires will be more bouncy and feel harsher, because of how they react, recover, if you hit a bump. Certain tires will bounce back and thus, amplify the bump. Like ForteSX2.4 has mentioned, going to 16'' will give you a bit softer ride. Frankly, I'd not bother changing the rims. Steer clear of performance tires, including all season ones. One of the quietest and most comfort oriented tires is the Bridgestone Quiettrack.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies. It looks like i'll just stick with the factory size. I have 16's for winters on steel rims.
I was initially looking at Pirelli P7 all season PLUS 2 tires, I'll check to see availability on the bridgestones. do some more reading.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thank you for the replies. It looks like i'll just stick with the factory size. I have 16's for winters on steel rims.
I was initially looking at Pirelli P7 all season PLUS 2 tires, I'll check to see availability on the bridgestones. do some more reading.
I actually have the P7 AS Plus on the Sedan and they are great on the Forte, much quieter than the original Nexens and comfort level is good, too. I also have a 2nd generation Koup, which has PZero AS. Those are bit stiffer and a bit overkill for the Forte, but amazingly good rubber.

Reactions: wheresmystuff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@joachimkazmaier

Where did you get yours (P7 AS Plus)? Costco doesn't carry factory size. I got a quote from tires23 for $770 all in. Trying to find something local rather than driving down to Mississauga.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I got mine from our Kia dealer. That was about a year ago. They had (or perhaps still have) a price match guarantee, and when I gave them the Costco price, they matched it. They are about 5 minutes away from my house, so no brainer. All other things, like mounting and balancing were the same.
Pirelli had a cash-back promotion, and the only difference with Costco was, Costco gave you a coupon.
I did opt for 225/45-17 but not because I was looking for better comfort. Rather, they are closer in circumference than the 205/55-16 which the car normally came in (2015 EX Sedan), and fill the wheel well better. I have P7 AS Plus. The AS Plus II is now the one to go for, improved performance in the wet is the difference.

I am in Montreal, on the West Island, and sure wouldn't drive to Mississauga for tires. :)

770$ all in is fine, if without taxes, if taxes are also in, that's spectacular. Just the tire, figure about 175 bucks in 215/45-17 91V for one. Plus mounting, balancing, environmental charge (not sure in ON), then plus tax. Voilà.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts