Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a quick question as my search is coming back with 8 pages of results.

Got my Black Edition CAI today from TurboKits. I thought I had read something several months ago about a need to remount the ECU so it doesnt overheat, as the air filter box was cooling it in its stock position. After installation I didnt notice the air filter box doing anything but holding it. I would prefer to leave the filter box in, and just leave the ECU mounted to it as is. Shouldnt be any problem right? TK just sends the bracket to put in replacement of the filter box to simply hold the ecu if you were to remove the box?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping you would reply because i wanted to leave it in after seeing yours. Did you just pick up replacement tubing to connect the air box back up?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
sorry for the thread jack, but i didn't buy the tk cai, just assembled my own. and i want to make my own ecu mount. what is the proper method to remove the ecu?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for the thread jack, but i didn't buy the tk cai, just assembled my own. and i want to make my own ecu mount. what is the proper method to remove the ecu?
Looks like two screws on the air filter box and then four screw holding the ECU to the side of the filter box. Simple.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally Posted by justinadams
(sorry for the thread jack, but i didn't buy the tk cai, just assembled my own. and i want to make my own ecu mount. what is the proper method to remove the ecu? )

First: remove the negative battery terminal then remove the ECU plug. now u can relocate the ECU.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I would say first shut off the car take keys out and wait for 15 minutes or so to try and not repeat what happened to one of our members that fried his ECU unclamping the negative terminal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
you can leave the box in but unless you're racing the car in 100+ degree temps. I don't see you having any problems. I have had no box all year in Las Vegas and it never got any hotter than with the box. There were days when the temp of the ecu was cooler than the air temp outside of the car. Honestly, if the box was completely closed then there would be problems with the ecu overheating. That's why they have the box cooling it. remove it and there is still enough air flow to keep the ecu cool.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Its not necessarily an issue of cooling. Without the stock airbox there is a "hole" in the bay that kind of bothered me. I like maintaining the stock look while getting to enjoy my CAI.

However if I get a turbo that airbox will be looking for a new home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts