Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I installed the TB CAI and i love it! however, my only concern is that of the ECU... Since the ECU was cooled down by the original Air filter box, wouldn't now that the box is removed make the ECU get 2 hot to the point that it fries out? i tend to just put the box back and the scoop just for that reason... not reconnecting the old filter so i still get my air from the TK CAI

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put the old box back and removed the filter just to be safe. Wait a few months till summer is here and see If anyone has fried the ecu due to heat. If all is good I'm removing all the stok stuff!!

2,213 Posts
So you're leaving the CAI in, but keeping the intake tube from the front of the car to the filter box, but taking the filter out so fresh air goes to the ecu?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kept the original filter in the box this way no sediments exhaust out of the opening on the top. ill take pictures eventually, if i didn't work 50 hours a week... im sure you can substitute this whole procedure if u can manage to install like a computer fan that can b powered from a 12v source... i will admit that puting the original intake will make a tight fit with CAI but it works just fine! Also that will give more stability to the ECU! WIN WIN in my book.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Let say it's 40ºC outside, your engine is running, your stuck in trafic. I would guess that having NO air box should be better as the rad fan will move enought air (in engine corpartment) to cool the ECU compare of beeing trap in a box with no air moving around!!!
My 2 pennys

Last summer I had ZERO issues with my ECU (Air box remove, about 35ºC in trafic with air con. on).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yup, I have the injen CAI and with that kit you get a new louvered cover for the stock air box so you can keep all the stock tubing in to cool the ECU. Better safe than sorry! It dont look too bad either!

·
Registered
90 Posts
had it all out last summer, drove hard on a pretty warm day, when i got home i touched the ecu it ended up being COOLER then with stock stuff on, you wont feel any difference in the ECU temp vs outside temp... i honestly doubt the ECU can even reach the point of being over 60 degrees C, i just dont see how it can... how much Watts does an ECU need to be powered anyway? cause i dont think it consumes alot of power, which means it wont produce alot of heat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts