Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To everyone that is wanting to know, can the 5AT Forte be turboed, the answer is yes. Absolutely. I personally have TK's kit pushing 9lbs on my 5AT. It is currently not tuned, seeing as i am working to find a time place and people to fly BTR down to Texas. The 5AT trans had concerns, but i assure you that i have had no issues with the trans with a turbo on it. Most people with the 5AT have experienced the hard shift that tends to happen, that occured far before the turbo. That has played no serious issue with my 5AT and the Turbo on it. Mind you, again i am pushing 9lbs, and have gotten on her PLENTY of times, so if the trans was gonna blow, she would have blown by now. This thread is more so to reassure those that are on the fence about a turbo and the 5at or just plain thought it wasnt possible. It is possible my friends, and it is FUN. Be smart with the turbo and dont blast her with 14psi right off the jump, i personally, eased into it. I started at Wastegate pressure of roughly 4PSI, then i felt it was holding plenty good so i upped it to 7PSI, then again felt she was holding fine so i upped it to 9PSI. It is still holding plenty strong, i would like to push it to 10 and just might after i get a tune. But, yes, everyone the 5AT can be turboed. Mine has been for months and running excellent. Keep watch on everything and be smart about the decesions....oh and kiss the warranty good bye =P but then again if you have a turbo in mind warranty is the furthest thing from your thoughts.

If any have questions about it, feel free to PM me or post here and i will try to get back as fast as possible.

TK, AWESOME job with the Kit. cant praise it enough.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm i wanna say 22-24. I can get about 220 miles per tank, city and highway combined.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Good to know! Were you the original tester with this configuration? How many months have you been running with the turbo and roughly how many miles have you put on it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i am the only 5at turboed that know of but if i am then yes i was the original 5at doing it, but again not for sure. at the time i was warned to take caution doing it but i said heck why not. i have had it on for a good few months now if i can remember correctly i put it on in mid to late summer, so a few months with her on, and no issues. i still need a custom tune, but seing as its takes a bit to get btr to travel i am still waiting. however the piggyback that comes with the kit is holding just fine. it has a few hiccups but nothing that makes her un driveable. and i do drive 60+ miles a day. hope this helps a bit. now also to advise, i started out at waste gate pressure of 4psi, rodeit for a few weeks uped it to 7psi rode er like that for maybe a week and now have her 10.5 (even tho sig says 9 i see 10.5 daily). its addicting as can be with the pushin more boost so be careful. everyone said the 5at cant hold the boost and i assure you the transmission is NOT keeping me from pushing more boost. before i got higher i want to go forged internals, but thats a long shot for sure

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Then change the signature! lol! ;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol no video camera but she flippn quick and yea i need to get into my sig and change that ur right lol

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
use your phone then and get some vids i wanna see it and hear it

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will try and see what i can do but the blow off valve sound is pure sex =)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
i know i had an SRT-4 i miss the sound and feel of a good hard turbocharged pull

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
i saw you posted and got all happy and thought my early christmas present was gonna be a sweet turbo forte vid but alas it wasnt here yet...lol

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hahahaha sorry if i had a video camera id post somethn up...or a friend with a fast enough car to keep up and video it =P

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
u got me again...lol...next time i wont be so easily fooled

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I was ready for it this time.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Torture! Jon-michael please do not post on this thread again until it's a video! Lol!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Post up a vid tomorrow it would be a great christmas present...lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts