Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new guy here.

First thing, a little about me. I use to be a mechanic (ASE certified). I also use to auto cross. I’ve built my share of cars (cars, trucks, and jeeps). Current toy is a 1990 Grand Wagoneer. The reason I bring this up is because I’m no idiot when it comes to mechanics. I’m not saying I know it all, I know I don’t. But no matter the car, the basics are the same. So with that here’s my gripe.

I have a 2011 sedan with the auto and eco. So far I've put 1700 miles on the car. I know the car still has some time and miles to full break in. But this car is horrible! The fuel mileage is crap. I drive 30 miles one way to work and back. In the mornings it’s open and clear, running 60 to 70 with no traffic. In the after noon it’s rush hour. In my 08 Kia Rio, I’d go 300 miles per tank in those conditions. Some weeks I could get up to 31+ mgps, tipping 315-320 mpgs. But in this car, on that same route, I’m getting only 26-27 miles per gallon. While this is inline with the city mpg listed on the cars invoice, that is city only. My driving is 50-50, to 30-70 city and hwy use. This does not change. Even if I start out driving just hwy miles for the first half of tank, buy the time Monday comes around and I hit rush hour traffic in the afternoons, the mpgs drop back to 26 mpgs. When I fill the tank and average the miles driven by gallons used, it still comes to 26-27 mpgs.
Now I know I should have done a little more research before I bought. But I got suckered into it. I felt the Rio was such a great buy, and so good on gas that I just assumed that KIA would be as honest with the forte as they were with the Rio. When I bought the car, they already had the window sticker off. So I really didn’t see the numbers. The sales man assured me I’d get better mileage in the forte then I got in the Rio. And again, I was so happy with the Rio it just never dawned on me that it wouldn’t be true. Between the tv ads and the sales guy both claiming 40 mpg hwy, I figured I’d get at least 30-35 mixed. That with the fact it’s bigger, has more power, and features, I figured why not. I took it on a short test dive and liked it.

I should have taken it for the weekend. Not only did the TV and sales guy lie, the car itself is crap. The handling is horrible, almost to the point of unsafe. I had to hit the breaks hard and I had to ask myself if the car had ABS. Not to mention the body roll and bouncing around the rear end does on rough roads. My parents live in the country. I don’t feel comfortable driving the speed limit because the back end feels like it wants to come out from under you. Then there’s the engine. There is NO low end power. From a stop, it feels like it takes for ever for the car to start moving. I had to jump into traffic from a stop the first week I had the car and thought I was going to get hit before it could get to speed.

Sure there are some things I like about the car. The blue tooth, the home link, I actually like the size and feel of the interior. The radio is crap though. But I am bias on the audio. I’ve always had custom systems and if I don’t get rid of it, this one will to.

But there are far too many issues with the way this car performs. I know this is a long post, but I wanted to know your thoughts on it. Do you feel the same? Is it just me?

Thanks
Bryan

PS, I'm not proofreading this. I'm at work and got to go.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have had the EX sedan with eco package, an EX sedan without eco package, and currently have the SX koup. Yes, the SX has a bit more power, and handles quite a bit better due to the sport tuned suspension that the EX does not have. If you do not like the body roll you can buy some struts from some of the sponsors on the site to eliminate most of the body roll. The rear end of my car never seems to bounce or anything, and I have taken an on ramp at about 45 mph with no problems, without even pushing it. 1st gear should have quite a bit of torque, and if you put it in tiptronic from a stop and make good use of 1st gear you should easily be able to jump into traffic.

As per gas mileage, I average about 28 mpg in my SX koup, I averaged even higher with my EX sedans, but to me the extra power and handling + styling was worth the few mpg loss I took coming from the sedan. When I have gone on trips I easily average over 30 mpg, usually around 32-33 mpg.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm starting to get that quesy feeling in my stomach that I jumped to fast. I was driving a 2009 Elantra Touring 5 spd. before I traded for the Forte 5 door. 90% of my driving are highway miles here in New Mexico and with the Touring I could average 33 mph. With the Kia I'm only getting 27-28 on the hwy. And yeah, the dealer fed me the same 40+ number on the hwy. mileage. I also miss the handling on the Touring vs. the Forte Ex. And I know someone is going to step in and say why did'nt I buy the SX model and the reason is I wanted to stay within the same price range as the Touring I had. The EX met the same price range but, is less equiped than the Touring.
I really needed a car with auto transmission for my two bad knees and presold myself on the Kia because of the success I've had with two previous Hyundai Elantras. Hence the reason to jump to another sister hatch with Hyundai components.
The jury is still out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Maybe it's just you and your style of driving. Or maybe you think you do more "highway" driving then you actually do. I do 70% highway driving to and from work w/ A/C running everyday to and from and average 32-34mpg. I run my tank to ~400+ miles. Sounds to me like someone bought the salesmans BS and didn't do any research. When someone says "It gets up to 40mpg" that could mean it only gets 3mpg. "Up to" is anything from that number down. The salesman was using a play on words with you and it seems like he got you good.

As far as handling, you bought an economy car. What do you expect? KIA just recently took on an interest in racing. I'm not quite sure why you would expect the handling to be all that great. It's an economy car made to get you somewhere and back at normal driving speed and conditions. I have had several cars with the works done suspension wise and I'm not complaining about the handling of my Forte. It is where it needs to be for what it is. Not to mention we don't have an IRS. It's a rear beam. You cannot expect much response from a beam suspension.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
40+MPG?? wow. I was never told that number from any salesman plus the sticker was on each windshield. But I mostly did my scouting online on the kia site and other reviews before stepping into the Kia dealer. Best I can get on 100% highway is around 38MPG but thats with a CAI and being really gentle driving it. My Koup doesn't feel that way on gravel roads but then again maybe the Koup handles differently. I am looking at getting the strut tower brace bar for added stability on cornering. I love the softer feel driving on these rough roads. Engine power wise I am happy, I can out accelerate most daily driver cars but I also have a standard tranny. This EX outperfoms all of my previous rides in everyway and I love its looks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe it's just you and your style of driving. Or maybe you think you do more "highway" driving then you actually do. I do 70% highway driving to and from work w/ A/C running everyday to and from and average 32-34mpg. I run my tank to ~400+ miles. Sounds to me like someone bought the salesmans BS and didn't do any research. When someone says "It gets up to 40mpg" that could mean it only gets 3mpg. "Up to" is anything from that number down. The salesman was using a play on words with you and it seems like he got you good.

As far as handling, you bought an economy car. What do you expect? KIA just recently took on an interest in racing. I'm not quite sure why you would expect the handling to be all that great. It's an economy car made to get you somewhere and back at normal driving speed and conditions. I have had several cars with the works done suspension wise and I'm not complaining about the handling of my Forte. It is where it needs to be for what it is. Not to mention we don't have an IRS. It's a rear beam. You cannot expect much response from a beam suspension.

As I said, I know I should have. And to be honest I deserve the keyboard lashing. But don't kid your self. I know what a car should feel like. I just got rid of my eco friendly Rio (meaning gasser). It would drive circles around this car and it was an econo box.

Looking at the car at a glance, the Kia with me in it is around 24/1 weight to power.
The Forte is close to 20/1. That alone should put them in a closer race as to mpgs.

There is also this funny fact. Now I know the MPG gauge is not and I repeat NOT totally accurate. But when I feel up, at the beginning of the tank the gauge will go as far as saying I’m getting 37 MPG. But by the time I have to fill up its back to 26-27.
Also, the fuel gauge is crap. I can get (per the gauge) 200 miles on the first half of tank. But once the needle crosses over the other side I only get 100 miles to the half. It appears that the AVG readout correlates to the fuel gauge. During the first half of tank the gauge will show a high mpg avg, anywhere from 30-37 mpg. But during the second half of tank it shoots down, any where from 25-27 mpg. Now at that point the car should actually get better. Less weight in the car means better mpgs. But not in this car.

Now as for my driving. Look, I’m a grown man. I have a clean record. I’ve learned a long time ago that racing is for the track. I just sold my 78 chevy C10 that I built a 383/350 combo putting out 400hp+ 460ft tq to the wheels on a dyno. I know speed. I also know this car isn’t fast. I didn’t buy it to be fast. I also know it isn’t a sports car. As I stated, I use to auto cross. I also know how to build a suspension system. But with to day’s cars and to day’s tech, I would expect better. My Rio handled better than this heap and it was only 10k!

So no, it’s not my driving. When I accelerate I try very hard to make sure the eco like stays on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No argument on above posts. the fault lies completely with my impulse decision and that I did'nt do due diligence before purchasing. In regard to the 40 mpg comment in my post, I felt that with the Kia having a 6 spd vs.Hyundai 5 spd transmission I would get at least 33 or better with the Kia as it is, I believe a lighter vehicle than the Touring.
As to handling, again it's subjective on my part and the observations are my own. The Elantra had a kinda "point and shoot" feeling that that I don't notice on the Kia especially on the canyon roads and the tighter curves here.
Til then I will continue to drive the Kia and will decide at some point whether this is the car for me or wait and see what the 2012-13 Touring looks and drives like and this time be a little less impulsive.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There is also this funny fact. Now I know the MPG gauge is not and I repeat NOT totally accurate. But when I feel up, at the beginning of the tank the gauge will go as far as saying I’m getting 37 MPG. But by the time I have to fill up its back to 26-27.
Also, the fuel gauge is crap. I can get (per the gauge) 200 miles on the first half of tank. But once the needle crosses over the other side I only get 100 miles to the half. It appears that the AVG readout correlates to the fuel gauge. During the first half of tank the gauge will show a high mpg avg, anywhere from 30-37 mpg. But during the second half of tank it shoots down, any where from 25-27 mpg. Now at that point the car should actually get better. Less weight in the car means better mpgs. But not in this car.

Wait... You are basing your mpg assumption on the car's computer telling you? I really hope not. If so, anything you just said is 100% meaningless. Do the math yourself to figure out your mpg. Just the fact you even consider going by that makes me question your opinion.

Now as for my driving. Look, I’m a grown man. I have a clean record. I’ve learned a long time ago that racing is for the track. I just sold my 78 chevy C10 that I built a 383/350 combo putting out 400hp+ 460ft tq to the wheels on a dyno. I know speed.

Uh... Congrats?

I also know this car isn’t fast. I didn’t buy it to be fast. I also know it isn’t a sports car. As I stated, I use to auto cross. I also know how to build a suspension system. But with to day’s cars and to day’s tech, I would expect better. My Rio handled better than this heap and it was only 10k!

Could be the point you haven't fully become used to the handling of the car. You are comparing something you drove for 10's of thousands of miles to something you haven't yet put 2,000 miles on.

So no, it’s not my driving. When I accelerate I try very hard to make sure the eco like stays on.

See above comment about going off of car's computer... Seriously? That's nothing more than something to help sell the car to people who buy into that BS.

Sounds to me you are having a litlle bit of buyer's remorse. I have never had the feeling of the car being unsafe. Mine does well on all types of driving conditions. I never feel as if I'm going to lose control and have my rear end come loose.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My driving is 50-50, to 30-70 city and hwy use
what does the 50-50 mean?

are you saying you drive 30mph-50mph city?
50mph-70mph hwy?

cuz if thats the case, driving 40-50mph locally kills your gas

i would say my koup is pretty accurate

i noticed my avg mpg for city is about 23-26
hwy is about 30, sometimes i hit 32

city i drive anywhere from 0-40 (when i hit high 30s, my gas gets killed)
hwy i drive 50-80..

·
Registered
227 Posts
also 1KIA,

my gf owns the same car as you, and she had hers before i got my koup...thats also a reason why i bought a koup cuz i love how her car runs and the car is good on gas which is one of the main concern for me

it sounds to me that you didn't even look at the specs on kia's website for the mileage

there was no way it even came close to 40mpg...and you bought the car salesman's bs

40mpg is something a hybrid can do...
did you not read the sticker on the car? it even tells you the city/hwy mpg with the AVERAGE

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

50mph-70mph hwy?

hwy i drive 50-80..
50/50 usually means 50% city (stop and go with traffic lights) 50% highway (constant highway speed for extended periods)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sounds like the same type of salesman that said the 2.0 Turbo Genesis had a 3.8L engine (standing right in front of the sticker) and then that the elantra had 184hp. I test drove an EX and liked it and then an SX and loved it. Lesson learned too late which has already been mentioned was do the research. If you are a mechanic, why would you not do more research or test drive the car a bit more? Not trying to cut you down, just curious...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Always assume you know more about the car than the salesman...you usually do.

For me, SX trim makes the car. It's a bargain and has some necessary upgrades for it to compete with other cars in the class.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sounds like the same type of salesman that said the 2.0 Turbo Genesis had a 3.8L engine (standing right in front of the sticker) and then that the elantra had 184hp. I test drove an EX and liked it and then an SX and loved it. Lesson learned too late which has already been mentioned was do the research. If you are a mechanic, why would you not do more research or test drive the car a bit more? Not trying to cut you down, just curious...
exactly what i thought...

not to offend you, 1Kia

but considering you ARE a mechanic, wouldn't you know the engine and how much mileages you SHOULD be getting? and i assumed you test drove your car, shouldn't you had felt it instantly?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sje0123,
Ok, like I said before. I already know I messed up and I can accept that. But your starting to sound like one of THOSE guys.

I let you know about my last build so that you could understand that I didn’t buy this car to go fast. I know what fast is and if I wanted speed I would have kept the truck.
And if you would have actually read and understood what you read, you would have remembered that I stated I actually DO calculate the distance to fuel used! I was simply stating that there was a BIG difference between the computer and what really happens. Also, being a ASE certified mechanic, I specialized in suspensions and break systems. I’ve ran multiple shops and built many of auto cross cars for people. That being said, I’ve driving plenty of cars. I feel confident in myself to know how a car should feel like.

It’s great your car seems to drive well. Maybe you got lucky, or I was unlucky and got a bad egg. You almost sound like a KIA rep on here. I’m curious to see what your other posts look like.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Always assume you know more about the car than the salesman...you usually do.

For me, SX trim makes the car. It's a bargain and has some necessary upgrades for it to compete with other cars in the class.
For the most part, I feel like I do know more than the salesman. Its really bad when they are close enough to read off the sticker and give you wrong information, haha. My salesman at the Kia dealership I got my car from has made me think that there are some good sales guys out there...honest and genuinely cares about your purchase.

1Kia...I really hope the situation improves whether you get yet another car or that you get used to the car and it feels safer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

50mph-70mph hwy?

hwy i drive 50-80..
Sorry, thought people would get that. 50% city 50% hwy. I have to feel up on Friday afternoons. Sat and sundays are all hwy driving. 80 miles one way. That usually will net me on the weekends around the 200 mile mark. Then I cruse the rest on a 60 mile perday drive to and from work.
As I posted before. To work in the mornings it's an easy drive with no traffic. I leave early. So I consider it hwy miles. Non stop for 30 miles at 60 to 70 mph. Only in the afternoons do I have traffic.

But on the weeks where I start off filling up with gas during the week, I still only see traffic about 30 to 40 % of the time due to my drive times.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
also 1KIA,

my gf owns the same car as you, and she had hers before i got my koup...thats also a reason why i bought a koup cuz i love how her car runs and the car is good on gas which is one of the main concern for me

it sounds to me that you didn't even look at the specs on kia's website for the mileage

there was no way it even came close to 40mpg...and you bought the car salesman's bs

40mpg is something a hybrid can do...
did you not read the sticker on the car? it even tells you the city/hwy mpg with the AVERAGE
Yep, I know. I saw the tv ads and bought it hook line and sinker. But I figured if my rio did what better then the sticker.....
Yea, hind sight you know. It's a bitch. I'm curious as to your alls age and how many other cars you've had? Now I know there is no way to know if any of you will be honest about that. But if all you have ever driven is a econo car you really can't compare.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Your MPG should certanily increase as the vehicle breaks in... you've mentioned this. What MPG are you looking for? I can't imagine more then 35 hwy and 27 or so city. Combined that would be around 30 or so. Right now you are getting 27. So the difference is around 3 MPG. I'm not going to do the math (you are welcome to) but I'm guessing that is about a $3.50 difference per fill up. Perhaps that is around $12/month?

My point is that your MPG will increase so this whole thing is moot. But until then, you are only spending an extra $12/month. But it's really not "extra" anyway as I don't think you should be expecting any more anyway.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts