Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the top speed anyone has gotten out of there Kia Forte GT? I got 132mph, but I feel like there is more in the tank. May try again some time. 馃ぃ

Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake

Registered
So what is the top speed anyone has gotten out of there Kia Forte GT? I got 132 mph, but I feel like there is more in the tank. May try again some time. 馃ぃ
This isn't important at all. 132 mph is well short of the car's maximum velocity.

I am not going to even tell you how to get to 155 mph it's superficial.

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This isn't important at all. 132 mph is well short of the car's maximum velocity.

I am not going to even tell you how to get to 155 mph it's superficial.
Damn, that鈥檚 crazy. It felt super fast at 132. Couldn鈥檛 imagine 155. 馃く

Registered
'21 GT Manual
Hypothetically, I took a road trip recently and got a few chances to stretch it's legs. (Everyone who hasn't driven through South Dakota can F off with their speed rants) As mentioned, the most impressive thing about the GT is the way it gets from 60-130mph. With the manual trans, the car is running 5,500 RPM in 6th at 130 and really doesn't want to go much past that. The turbo is made to give the most between 2,000 and 5,000rpm. I'd guess the manual tops out at 140 on a flat, 145-150 with a bit of a down hill and a tail wind.

I'm frankly stoked. This is my idea of the perfect daily and road trip machine. PLENTY of passing power for the highway, good handling with the Michelin Pilot Sports for the twisty roads especially with the independent rear suspension, but the car sips fuel when you're not on the floor, doesn't complain when you feed it 87, and still has plenty of space. Good car. Great job Kia, I suspect Albert Bierman had a role in the creation of this car.

Registered
Hypothetically, I took a road trip recently and got a few chances to stretch it's legs. (Everyone who hasn't driven through South Dakota can F off with their speed rants) As mentioned, the most impressive thing about the GT is the way it gets from 60-130mph. With the manual trans, the car is running 5,500 RPM in 6th at 130 and really doesn't want to go much past that. The turbo is made to give the most between 2,000 and 5,000rpm. I'd guess the manual tops out at 140 on a flat, 145-150 with a bit of a down hill and a tail wind.

I'm frankly stoked. This is my idea of the perfect daily and road trip machine. PLENTY of passing power for the highway, good handling with the Michelin Pilot Sports for the twisty roads especially with the independent rear suspension, but the car sips fuel when you're not on the floor, doesn't complain when you feed it 87, and still has plenty of space. Good car. Great job Kia, I suspect Albert Bierman had a role in the creation of this car.
It doesn't like 91. I don't know where you missed it but the car makes 10 whp more across the entire power band with E20, IE 20% E85 mixed with 91/92/93 stock tune.

190 whp on 91 and 201 on E20....

What you are running into literally is more air aka drag, the car makes peak power around 6000 rpm. It takes more than the car makes stock to overcome 140 mph and continue to accelerate briskly to it's maximum speed.

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I feel the same with your comment. Plenty of passing power. Even going up normal hills you don鈥檛 need to downshift. Like u said, 87 octane, a little easier on the wallet.

Registered
I feel the same with your comment. Plenty of passing power. Even going up normal hills you don鈥檛 need to downshift. Like u said, 87 octane, a little easier on the wallet.
Have you done the math? Around here (Southern California) 91 is .20-.25 more a gallon than 87.

In the grand scheme of things the cost isn't much more, maybe a couple of hamburgers, not trying to minimize it but that's what would come down to.

I might suggest installing a Aquamist water methanol system. Direct port to ensure equal flow, post inter-cooler and pre-turbo for the max intake temperature reduction.

The reason I recommend this kit over more simple systems from AEM is it can take the input from your direct injector system and pulse with the injectors to add enrichment and cooling.

That way you could get away with running 50/50 self mixed and 87 octane, two gallon tank will last you months.

Problem is the car does a octane/fuel quality check at startup during high idle.

You would need 3-4-5 3rd Gear WOT romps to get the maximum ignition advance back up. Which makes the car more fun to drive part throttle and out of Sport mode, which is why I run E20 minimally and E30 ish most of the time.

I am not a minimalist but I have done the intake, down pipe, exhaust thing on previous turbo cars. What I have done with the Forte, it's already faster trap speed wise than the Focus ST (102.6). It's almost as fast as my Neon SRT-4, a few more tweaks I will past the fastest it's run which is 104.3 mph (12.74).

What I have learned is to address the problems directly. The other stuff just adds more noise and only a little more power.

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you done the math? Around here (Southern California) 91 is .20-.25 more a gallon than 87.

In the grand scheme of things the cost isn't much more, maybe a couple of hamburgers, not trying to minimize it but that's what would come down to.

I might suggest installing a Aquamist water methanol system. Direct port to ensure equal flow, post inter-cooler and pre-turbo for the max intake temperature reduction.

The reason I recommend this kit over more simple systems from AEM is it can take the input from your direct injector system and pulse with the injectors to add enrichment and cooling.

That way you could get away with running 50/50 self mixed and 87 octane, two gallon tank will last you months.

Problem is the car does a octane/fuel quality check at startup during high idle.

You would need 3-4-5 3rd Gear WOT romps to get the maximum ignition advance back up. Which makes the car more fun to drive part throttle and out of Sport mode, which is why I run E20 minimally and E30 ish most of the time.

I am not a minimalist but I have done the intake, down pipe, exhaust thing on previous turbo cars. What I have done with the Forte, it's already faster trap speed wise than the Focus ST (102.6). It's almost as fast as my Neon SRT-4, a few more tweaks I will past the fastest it's run which is 104.3 mph (12.74).

What I have learned is to address the problems directly. The other stuff just adds more noise and only a little more power.
Found out it鈥檚 about 65 cents a gallon difference between regular and premium where I live at.

Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
I know it鈥檚 not a GT, but my FE manual with the 2.0 is electronically limited to 123 (or so I鈥檓 told). I鈥檝e had it up to 120 and it did not feel like it had much more in it. Acceleration past 115 is comically slow, and it got a tad squirrelly at those speeds on the tall-sidewall all seasons that come on the base model

Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know it鈥檚 not a GT, but my FE manual with the 2.0 is electronically limited to 123 (or so I鈥檓 told). I鈥檝e had it up to 120 and it did not feel like it had much more in it. Acceleration past 115 is comically slow, and it got a tad squirrelly at those speeds on the tall-sidewall all seasons that come on the base model
It seems like with the GT even at 132mph, it felt solid as if I was going 55mph. I have the Michelin Sport S tires on with a speed rating of Y, which a max speed of 186. This thing is totally different from anything else so have ever had. Never felt that in any other car. Even though this is a Budget Performance Car, it is my first performance car. I love it! Thanks for the reply! 馃憤

Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
It seems like with the GT even at 132mph, it felt solid as if I was going 55mph. I have the Michelin Sport S tires on with a speed rating of Y, which a max speed of 186. This thing is totally different from anything else so have ever had. Never felt that in any other car. Even though this is a Budget Performance Car, it is my first performance car. I love it! Thanks for the reply! 馃憤
I love mine too, even if I have the zero option spec. I think a lot of the instability at those speeds comes from the wheel/tire combo (and possibly the torsion beam rear end as opposed to the independent setup on the GT). Once spring rolls around I think I鈥檓 going to get new wheels and tires for mine to help out the looks and handling

Registered
I love mine too, even if I have the zero option spec. I think a lot of the instability at those speeds comes from the wheel/tire combo (and possibly the torsion beam rear end as opposed to the independent setup on the GT). Once spring rolls around I think I鈥檓 going to get new wheels and tires for mine to help out the looks and handling
The biggest improvement overall in handling and braking will be tires.

Plus Two upgrade to 225/45-17 and 17x7.5 wheel would look good, especially with a 1.5 inch suspension drop. You can go with 17 inch steel wheels to save some money about $70 a wheel. Not too heavy if you color in the lettering on the tires it would be good budget setup.

Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
Be safe out there...

Lyrics from a song on this: "Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy"...LOL

The Eagles Take It Easy - YouTube
Keep in mind that Jackson Browne also did that tune since he co- wrote it with Glen Frye. And being an old fart, I got most of my speed fixes in my late 20's and early 30's when I drove an 84 Laser XE Turbo and a Honda V-45 Magna. I used to drive 120 plus every chance I got. I haven't pushed my Forte over 110 since I bought it and that was plenty for me.

Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
The biggest improvement overall in handling and braking will be tires.

Plus Two upgrade to 225/45-17 and 17x7.5 wheel would look good, especially with a 1.5 inch suspension drop. You can go with 17 inch steel wheels to save some money about $70 a wheel. Not too heavy if you color in the lettering on the tires it would be good budget setup.
That was exactly the goal. Probably going to get some 17鈥 lightweight Enkeis or something in the spring with some good UHP all seasons or mild summer tires (I鈥檓 in a pretty cold location generally). Probably Sumitomos or Michelins since I have had good luck with both of them on my Volvo. Suspension drop (probably with lowering springs) is also in the plans once spring rolls around. My goal is eventually get my FE to be like a 鈥渂udget GT鈥 - a 2.0, torsion beam version that handles and drives like a stock(ish) GT with less power and better mileage

Registered
Budget GT? Way down on power and as I've said before likely better over uneven pavement than the torsion bar suspension on the regular Forte (and previous generation cars).

I'd be careful about dumping money in your commuter car, if that's what is. You are better off keeping the Forte stock and trade-in the Volvo for something sportier.

Premium Member
2021 Forte GT- Currant Red - GT2 Package - Ambien Lights
So what is the top speed anyone has gotten out of there Kia Forte GT? I got 132mph, but I feel like there is more in the tank. May try some time again. 馃ぃ
I got to mine to 130mph. I've driven faster in a different car鈥140 mph straight at a local track and once up to 167 mph on the highway. The GT feels like it can go a little faster, but it will take a lot of time. Without any scientific test, I believe it can go up to 140 mph in a very long straight.

Some two decades ago, the Subaru STI was the cult around here. They were fast but died about the same speed as the GT鈥攁bout 140 mph. Once at 140, I continued to 167, and the Subaru was way, way, way back.:cool:馃榿

By the way, does anyone know of better (for me, aggressive first bite) pads for the GT?

Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
That was exactly the goal. Probably going to get some 17鈥 lightweight Enkeis or something in the spring with some good UHP all seasons or mild summer tires (I鈥檓 in a pretty cold location generally). Probably Sumitomos or Michelins since I have had good luck with both of them on my Volvo. Suspension drop (probably with lowering springs) is also in the plans once spring rolls around. My goal is eventually get my FE to be like a 鈥渂udget GT鈥 - a 2.0, torsion beam version that handles and drives like a stock(ish) GT with less power and better mileage
The rear torsion beam can make the rear end a bit unstable. I noticed that in my rental elantra. Power isn't everything, so if you like the power levels, keep it. Perhaps you can find wrecked Elantra Sport or GT hatchback and do a rear suspension swap?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts