Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have driven trucks for five years now (I drive salt trucks for the state) so I am used to big 8-10 speeds but I can honestly say up until getting this Forte that I have never driven a passenger car that was a standard so I'm sort of new to it.

I know the basics of how to drive one and have test driven others but this car has gotten me baffled. Is the clutch what is so sensitive or is it the touchy accelerator? When I start out from a stop, I can't seem to get it to start out smoothly, it's either very quick which gives you whiplash or it gets jerky and I look like a real idiot when I do this. Tips on driving this thing?

My wife rode home with me and she says she will never ride with me again! LOL!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
What is your problem then!?!?!?;)

You'll need time to adjust to it and there's a gas pedal adjustment you can do to improve it.... search here!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have driven trucks for five years now (I drive salt trucks for the state) so I am used to big 8-10 speeds but I can honestly say up until getting this Forte that I have never driven a passenger car that was a standard so I'm sort of new to it.

I know the basics of how to drive one and have test driven others but this car has gotten me baffled. Is the clutch what is so sensitive or is it the touchy accelerator? When I start out from a stop, I can't seem to get it to start out smoothly, it's either very quick which gives you whiplash or it gets jerky and I look like a real idiot when I do this. Tips on driving this thing?

Check this out: http://www.forteforums.com/forums/forte-sedan-general-discussion/685-cdv-what.html

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I find the throttle to be too aggressive on my car, with no dead spot, and too light. The clutch has broken in nicely now at 1700 miles, but I still can't get used to the throttle. I would like to make the throttle pedal stiffer, but have not come up with a way, yet. I experimented yesterday, but my external spring idea didn't work well. Has anyone come up with a way to make the throttle pedal stiffer?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,871 Posts
If you haven't looked into the TPS (APS) mod I'd recommend that first. There is a known dead spot (about 3.8") before the engine responds to the pedal and this can lead some to think they are revving the engine as they let out the clutch off-the-line -- of course, the engine begins to bog down or sputter and then you instinctively push more on the pedal and then all of a sudden zoom -- you feel like a NOOB...LoL! With the throttle mod there is very little dead area and the engine responds nicely. Those that have used only manual trannys have had the same stalling problem with this car...and liked their Forte even more after adjusting the accelerator pedal switch. Remember not to set the switch full forward -- the engine will "think" the pedal is pushed at idle!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I haven't noticed any dead spot at all. In fact, the throttle responds too enthusiastically when I just touch the pedal. It makes the car seem lively, but it's harder to shift smoothly. I went from a BMW 528i to the Forte and the BMW has a very linear throttle and is stiffer. I would be satisfied with the Forte pedal just being stiffer. When I'm driving down the highway, I have to touch the pedal so lightly, it's uncomfortable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny the first two weeks I got my Forte I had the same problem. After a while like they have been saying you get used to it. All it takes is practice I guess.

·
Registered
436 Posts
This dead spot gives the illusion that the throttle's too sensitive. I adjusted the dead spot out of mine and now I can finally drive this car like a sane person. I've been driving 5-speeds since 1986 and this car is a bitch to learn on. Do the pedal adjustment...you'll love your car so much more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts