Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've thought of buying a casita camper to take on trips and I read on their website that it can be towed by a car of any size. I'm looking at the 13' version and it weighs 1,800 pounds. Obviously gas mileage would go down the toilet, but do you have any idea what that would do to the engine and/or transmission of the car?

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
KIA doesn't recomend towing at all with the Forte. I've seen hitches and wiring on eBay available but nothing from KIA. I suspect that if you did tow anything with it your max weight would be 750-1000lbs. If anything broke, I bet KIA would not honor the warrranty as it says right in the owners manual you are not meant to tow with the Forte.
Towing capacity is dependant on a number of factors, engine power, vehicle weight, tire load capacity, braking capacity and frame strengh to name the main ones.
To tow 2000lbs you would probably need a V6 in a heavier car or minivan. (I tow my 16' boat and 1400lb dry weight tent trailer with an '07 Sonata with the 3.3 V6)(BTW, not at the same time lol!)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess one way to gauge how much you can tow is try dividing the weight you are towing by the amount of extra bodies you can reasonably put in the car.

So I weigh 160 pounds and my lady weighs 140 pounds, and then there are three empty seats in the back and the trunk with maybe 10 pounds of stuff. Now let's pretend our car is filled with nothing but gigantic fatfucks who all weigh 300 pounds and there are 50 pounds worth of suitcases in the trunk. That gives a total weight of 1550 pounds (the five 300 pound lardasses and the 50 pounds of stuff in the trunk). That means we should be able to add ~1240 pounds and still be okay!

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
A long time ago on these forums, someone tried towing, ruined their fortes transmission and voided their warranty.

Dig deep, you might find it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts