Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going to order a second set of tpms for my summer rim/tire set up. F*CK THAT!!!! you have to reset your ecu! Way to much work just to change tires! Not to mention it's like $350 for 4 new sensors. Soooooooo I'm putting the tpms on the new rims, and just putting regular tire valves on the old ones. So I have to drive around for a few months with a flat tire sensor on, it's a lot less annoying then reprogramming my ecu twice a month.

Anyone else try this or am I the only one with 2 sets of rims?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am going to do the exact same thing this spring when I get my wheels put on....That dummy light is so small, not like some of the cars I've had in the past seemed like it was practically yelling at you...I can ignore it for a few months....

·
Registered
536 Posts
My thoughts exactly...besides it's not like the "Check engine" light is on and I don't know WTH is goin on...I can save the $$$$ and buy quite a few extra toys for that price...

·
Registered
312 Posts
No, shit. When I found out that my brother had to buy tpms for his new rims/tires, I was like "what the fuck". But also having to reset the ECU, thats bullshit. I told him to just run without the monitoring system, yeah it's annoying, but so is dishing-out $350 plus having it reflashed.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^^
I don't understand.. I put new tires/wheels on my koup with new tpm sensors and have no issues at all, I did not have to reset anything.
and I've checked them if I drop the pressure to low sensor goes off so I don't see why you have to reset ? * got tires & sensors from tirerack* they said you may have to have your dealer program them,but nope works fine.

So I'm curious now, explain why you need to reset the ecu?
Note, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk I'm just really not sure what the logic of this is

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well see I think you are reading into it a little much. Read the whole paragraph where it says:

This requires a new sensor to be fitted and the ECU to be reprogrammed with its unique ID and its position on the vehicle.
To me that is only for the vehicles which notify you specifically which tire is low. Ours only specifies that psi it low but doesn't state which corner it is.

Not to mention that's not a genuine KIA website. That's a website to sell the programming tool.

They have one for each manufacturer.

acura-tpms.com
subaru-tpms.com
hondatpms.com

so on and so on.

Take that info with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
312 Posts
^ makes sense. Again, tpms shoulda been an option, but I guess it's a law now. FML.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Girlfriend's Cobalt sport has the tpms which states which tire and such. What a crappy system. Did a 1k km trip last week and it was reading different tire pressures at start of trip so I checked the tires with a guage and they were all around 32 but the tpms stated differently. When we got back there was a warning that the left rear was low and I checked it and it was fine. Meanwhile she was all worried that something was wrong with the car. Brought into dealer and they reset the system yesterday.
TPMS = tire PMS

Funny thing on the way back, I was passing this woman who was driving with a flat tire at 110km/h! I looked at her in disbelief while passing on a 3 lane and she just glances at me and then looks straight ahead, you can plainly hear the loud noises the tire was making. About a km down the road I noticed in my rearview mirror the tire disintegrated and a large piece of it flew across the lanes where I had passed her, luckily no one was passing her at the time. It was her rear driver tire so she pulled over without incident.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey, I used to have a chevy colorado and a lot of guys were taking the TPS and putting them in there spare tire.... The idiot light doesn't come on, and you don't have the ugly looking valve steam either... However it does render your spare useless but it is an option I suppose.

2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^^
I don't understand.. I put new tires/wheels on my koup with new tpm sensors and have no issues at all, I did not have to reset anything.
and I've checked them if I drop the pressure to low sensor goes off so I don't see why you have to reset ? * got tires & sensors from tirerack* they said you may have to have your dealer program them,but nope works fine.

So I'm curious now, explain why you need to reset the ecu?
Note, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk I'm just really not sure what the logic of this is
You have a link? All I see are aftermarket ones with the whole system.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
ok tried to link Tire rack but, link not going to happen

Just go to tire rack chose a set of wheels and they'll offer tpms as a add on there about 350 dollars for a set.
I think if you called them you could just get the sensors alone with out buying wheels..
Not sure but I'd bet they'd sell them too you

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
People I bought my tires from are giving me a whole set of new TPMS in each tire for 65 each. Though you have to CALL them and ask specifically for it. The man I talked to says that he is 95% sure that the TPMS they are giving me works WITHOUT REFLASHING THE ECU. He said that it takes about 2 or 3 miles for the car to adapt to the new system, but after that I should be good to go. And its a 100% guarantee for wheel fitment and stuffs, and they are endorsed by the BBB.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts