Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tire Pressure Monitoring System light went on. I checked all four tires and they are all filled to recommended capacity [32PSI]. I would like to avoid a visit to the dealer [half a day wasted] . Is there a 'reset' function?

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Tire Pressure Monitoring System light went on. I checked all four tires and they are all filled to recommended capacity [32PSI]. I would like to avoid a visit to the dealer [half a day wasted] . Is there a 'reset' function?
Probably not without a OBD-II code reader or something. Is your service dept really that bad that it would take half a day to do this? For my regular services i call them up and either get a loaner or have them pick my car up at work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had the same problem. I think it has happened to me 2 times. Both have been while i was driving and the light has went off before i had time to get somewhere to check it. ?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Mine went off yesterday when I started the car up but it was truly low. I'm thinking with the weather change. Most were down to around 25ish and one was actually at 20!!

Low profiles are really misleading as visibly they all looked fine

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I did a drive to Ohio in July, TPMS went off, stopped all tires were fine, detoured to nearest tire shop to verify. No issues.

200 miles later, TPMS went off again, Checked no issues.

last weekend I did a 2hr drive out to my Uncles, TPMS went off again. Checked, no issues.

In doing a bit of talking and research I found out something that could be playing a role. On newer cars there are 5 TPMS sensors, 4 on the ground and the spare in the trunk. If the difference is too great between the 5 the alert goes off. I am starting to wonder if the spare is either too low, or too high. I have noticed that the TPMS warning is only going off when I am doing some 75+ long term driving, it goes back off within 15 minutes or so of sub 75.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have same problem on Forte SX at 15000 miles. Happened twice once for a couple secs after stop sign, then driving at 65 MPH on highway lasted for a minute or 2. I took it in and they found no issues and reset the codes a week ago. It just happened again driving through the city and stayed on for 5 or 10 minutes. Taking it back to dealer on Monday. All tire pressures are normal at 34-35 PSI (not sure about spare as someone mentioned). Oh yeah and it started happening just after I took it into dealer for wheel rotation.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you have regular 02 in your tires or Nitrogen, if you have plain ole compressed air, it might have condensed a little bit and shorted out the TMPS, just a thought, its happened to me on some other cars

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,906 Posts
TPMS 101:

When the TPMS light comes on it is telling you there is a possible problem with the TPMS -- not that your tires are low.

If your tires are low the tire light will come on.

There are other things that can set off your TPMS light -- radar, microwaves, etc. It can also be due to a loss of sensor reading from one or more of the tires. Best to take it to Kia and have them look at it. Mine did it on a long trip and the technician found it had lost contact with the rear tires...they did a relearn and it hasn't come back on, even on another long trip.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My tire pressure light has gone on twice this week, then goes back off. Once, when I parked, my TC went off too, and I could not manually turn it on. I'm getting it looked at on the 27th, but I'm monitoring the pressure and treads till then. Just found it odd that other TPMS and pressure sensors have been going off too, but it's kinda good to know it's not just my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dealer told me that alarm systems and airports make the TPMS light come on, that's why it'll come on and then go off after a certain time or distance once you leave the area... Mine comes on, in particular, every time I go near the air base here... Eventually it goes off, usually when I'm a few miles out of the area...

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,906 Posts
My dealer told me that alarm systems and airports make the TPMS light come on, that's why it'll come on and then go off after a certain time or distance once you leave the area... Mine comes on, in particular, every time I go near the air base here... Eventually it goes off, usually when I'm a few miles out of the area...
yep...those things can set the TPMS light off...but, the next time you're at the dealer have them check it -- could still be a problem. When mine went off it would turn off and come back later - it did turn out to be a lost signal with the rear wheels. Hasn't come back since they did a relearn months ago.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
From what I understand, the TPMS can also reset itself by driving next to car that have TPMS as well.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
From what I understand, the TPMS can also reset itself by driving next to car that have TPMS as well.
Misunderstanding...the system has to be told to relearn. It doesn't reset on it's own. My guess is it is possible that another car's TPMS sensors could set your TPMS light off -- if their signal is close to the wavelength of your TPMS sensors...it could confuse your computer.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Misunderstanding...the system has to be told to relearn. It doesn't reset on it's own. My guess is it is possible that another car's TPMS sensors could set your TPMS light off -- if their signal is close to the wavelength of your TPMS sensors...it could confuse your computer.

"if there is a failed tire sensor, it is possible for the tpms to temporarily learn a replacement sensor if closely driven to another vehicle that is also equipped with tpms."

That's from the owners manual, and from what I'm getting from it is that it doesn't fix your sensor, but rather it believes the other cars signal is yours, thus your car thinks the problem has been fixed.

Also, the manual clearly states to take it in as soon as possible to your KIA dealer, so I'd just take it in.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
"if there is a failed tire sensor, it is possible for the tpms to temporarily learn a replacement sensor if closely driven to another vehicle that is also equipped with tpms."

That's from the owners manual, and from what I'm getting from it is that it doesn't fix your sensor, but rather it believes the other cars signal is yours, thus your car thinks the problem has been fixed.

Also, the manual clearly states to take it in as soon as possible to your KIA dealer, so I'd just take it in.
That makes sense...if you have a failed sensor and are driving next to a car with a sensor that has the same signal wavelength as yours does it would think everything is okay. But the system is not relearning -- it keeps looking for a correct signal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Folks,

I don't care how you look at it the TPMS system on any car is a piece of junk. I have owned a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS and the TPMS on that car will tell you which tire is low. I have had to replace three tire sensors in 60,000 miles of driving. I actually both a spare just as a back-up. I have had to reteach the system every time I had the tires rotated because most places didn't do it correctly. These systems are just worthless to me. I have been driving for over 40 years and never had to worry about tire pressure as long as I checked the tires visually and on occasion used the handy-dandy tire pressure gauge.

Nitrogen is another joke. Don't you realize that the oxygen we breath, and put in our tires under pressure, is 70+ percent NITROGEN!!! (It's actually about 78 % nitrogen.) Why do you need that additional 22% percent? You don't, You're not driving a NASCAR car at 160+ mph for 400-500 miles.

Off my soapbox.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.