Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought my 2010 Koup about 3 weeks ago with 30 miles on it. The first week or so I was still getting used to it so I was driving extra carefully and didn't notice any flaws. Well the next week when i drove more confidently I noticed that the car seemed to pull to the left slightly but I didn't think anything of it.

Well that weekend it snowed and after the roads were cleared I went out for a little roadtrip with the boyfriend. When we pulled down his street the TPMS light came on. He read up on it and sometimes it can be triggered by cold or snow (wtf?).

Anyway, the next morning we went to take it to check the tire pressure but the light had gone off. When he checked the tire pressure is was at 25 and he said it should have been at 35. We filled up the tire and it hasn't pulled to the side since.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anybody else had a similar problem with the tire being low or with the TPMS being temperamental. It just seems odd that a car with 30 miles on it would have had a tire that low. I LOVE my car to death and I just hope this isn't a sign of many problems to come. It's only been 3 weeks after all!

·
Registered
695 Posts
When you check air pressure you are supposed to check with "cold" tires. When the car runs the tires get warm and that affects the tire pressure. With the snow the air in your tires will vary, the sensor may go off and if it does just check the pressure to make sure if everything is ok. If it continues to happen and the pressure is correct bring it to the dealer to make sure the sensors are fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, i was hoping it just had to do with the weather. It hasn't been acting up since so *crosses fingers* it won't happen again. I was going to take it back to the dealership because we read that there's a lot of problems with that sensor, but the next morning it went right back off. If it happens again it will be going right to the dealership lol

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well I had my sensors on my original wheels and they worked fine, tripped when one of the tire pressure was low on one or more wheels. I have transfered them to my new tires and wheels and had no problems or complications. If you dont feel comfortable, the dealer should always take care of it.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
The rule of thumb is for every ~10 degrees of temperature change it's about 1PSI. So if it was a nice balmy 10 degrees C when you picked up your car and it's around -5 Degree C now that's enough to set your TPMS off.

It's also possible you hit a nail and there's a slow leak.

·
Registered
85 Posts
same problem here minus the snow. i got the koup with 61 miles. drove it, love it, but it pulls to the left like a mofo. one day i go for a spin and the lights on, so i check the pressure and they are all roughly 25 and the tire says 44. so i fill everything up to about 40. all was good with the pressure but the car still pulls to the left. i think my issue is alignment, not tire pressure

i feel/felt your pain :)

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Use to happen all the time on my Honda CR-V, To high in Summer, to low in Summer. Got Nitrogen and never again! Love it! Got it right away in the Koup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts