Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a forte koup and have a question about the TPMS. The tpms light comes on occasionally during longer trips and was wondering if this is something to get checked out. It goes off shortly after it comes off. I know that this light means the system is malfunctioning and was wondering if this is a common occurrence. Thanks in advance for helping out a non car person!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have had my EX sedan since Feb, and have not had any issues.

Hopefully we'll get more posts on this thread, but if not, you can check out:
Kia Global Information System (KGIS) for all of Kia's Service Bulletins. I do not recall seeing anything about the TPMS, but I haven't looked in a week or so.

My only question would be when was the last time you checked the air pressure in the tires? Is it up to spec? If you are low on air, you might get the light then as the tires warm up (and if you aren't using N2 in the tires) the light would go away...

·
Registered
522 Posts
it is not normal the tmps light comming on means that the tmps system is failed
possibe that there is a tmps sensor droping out need to take it to the dealer sorry this is not normal operating condition!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
let me be clear is it the tpms light or the low tire pressure light , the tpms should go to the dealer, the low tire pressure lght you need to check the tire pressure
sorry i work for a honda dealer and we have a big problem with the low tire pressure system and the tpms system( thank ford for this system), sorry

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I had my Tpms light come on once for like 5 mins on a long trip then the light went out and I've not see the light come on and stay on since. that was when the car only had 60 miles on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
let me be clear is it the tpms light or the low tire pressure light , the tpms should go to the dealer, the low tire pressure lght you need to check the tire pressure
sorry i work for a honda dealer and we have a big problem with the low tire pressure system and the tpms system( thank ford for this system), sorry
Right, like my forte koup said, that's what I meant to say... really... lol.

just adding to my list against the blue oval... hahaha...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a forte koup and have a question about the TPMS. The tpms light comes on occasionally during longer trips and was wondering if this is something to get checked out. It goes off shortly after it comes off. I know that this light means the system is malfunctioning and was wondering if this is a common occurrence. Thanks in advance for helping out a non car person!

I have the same thing happen to me i go out of town a lot for work. i have took it to 2 different dealers the TPMS light comes on if there is to much air in the tires. The light comes on about 36-38 lbs of air the last trip i took i droped the air down to 30 lbs and i didnt have the light come on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. It is the tpms light not the low tire pressure light. The car is brand new with only 1500 miles on it, all of which i have put on. I am using N2 in my tires so it sounds like i might need to make a visit to the dealer. :(

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
If you read the owners manual on this you will find that the TPMS light can be set by a number of things -- radar and radio signals, for example. My TPMS light came on several times on a recent trip (never in normal around-town driving for one year now). I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong but did see where the signal was interrupted at the rear wheel TPMS sensors. They did a TPMS relearn just in case and I haven't seen the TPMS light since.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I'll give it a shot anyway. If I was to purchase new rims and tires online I see that the online retailer tells me I can have TPMS sensors installed for and extra $400 which is CRAZY!!! or I can re-use my currect ones. If I were to not have these installed and just put the tires and rims on my car would it matter? Obviously I won't have the sensor to tell me whatever the hell they are supposed to tell me, but is that all? I just can't see spending $400 to have some little sensors installed on my tires. I was looking at these rims as well... any good? http://www.elementwheels.com/prodimages/dr11black.jpg

·
Registered
522 Posts
You can try and reuse the factory sensors but they may not fit in the wheels but if they due they need to go in the same location on the car that they came off , good luck!

·
Registered
204 Posts
You can try and reuse the factory sensors but they may not fit in the wheels but if they due they need to go in the same location on the car that they came off , good luck!
Well yes, but do I have to use them? Can't I just have rims and tires with no sensors?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yea you can but the low tire pressure and the tmps light will be on all the time ,, any of the systems in the car which need input from the sensor will not work. For examble if a honda crv has a tmps light on it will shut off the 4x4 system and run in 2 wheel drive only!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
hmm... I see. This makes replacing rims and tires a even more expensive job if you have to account for these damn sensors. Seems like modding this car out in any particular way is so damn expensive!

Any idea how this sensor works? I imagine it is some sort of wireless thing going on there.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
I know on Tire rack . com (take out spaces) they list whether or not you can reuse the factory TPMS sensors on the wheels they sell.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know on Tire rack . com (take out spaces) they list whether or not you can reuse the factory TPMS sensors on the wheels they sell.
Yep, I did notice this. I wonder if they have the rims I wanted above... I'll have to have a look.

EDIT: They don't....

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
^^Ditto...LoL!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well, I think one of the things I'll do is get a set of dedicated winter tires and put them on the stock rims once the snow arrives. Then i guess I'll buy a set of spring/summer/fall rims and tires and those damned expensive sensors. I'll prolly hold off on the rims this year and lower the car first, I'd like to do that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts