Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what the Forte's reaction is to having no TPMS sensor to read. Does the light just stay on? Does it chime continuously or just when the car starts etc??

I ask because I want to replace my rims and don't want to spring for another $400 just for TPMS sensors. I can measure my tire pressure the good old fashioned way, with a manual pressure meter. I just want to know in advance what warning signals Ill get and how annoying they are.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,885 Posts
On a recent 600+ round trip the TPMS light came on 6 times. There was no chime/warning sound, the TPMS light just came on and went off. I checked the TP 2 times before just ignoring it. When I got it to the dealer they could find nothing wrong but did a relearn anyway. Haven't seen the TPMS light since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a recent 600+ round trip the TPMS light came on 6 times. There was no chime/warning sound, the TPMS light just came on and went off. I checked the TP 2 times before just ignoring it. When I got it to the dealer they could find nothing wrong but did a relearn anyway. Haven't seen the TPMS light since.
Thanks, good to know. I can live with just the light coming on. I can spend that $400 for sensors on guns and ammo!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,885 Posts
Don't forget to try and reuse your original TPMS sensors on your new wheels...they fit some aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't forget to try and reuse your original TPMS sensors on your new wheels...they fit some aftermarket wheels.

That's the 25,000 dollar question that I'd like to see answered myself and that question is: "Exactly on what type of wheels will the stock monitors fit?" We need a thread dedicated to this topic...:D

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Whoevers putting your new wheels on should be able to answer that question pretty quickly. I bought new wheels and didn't need to replace the sensors, just a relearn.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
That's the 25,000 dollar question that I'd like to see answered myself and that question is: "Exactly on what type of wheels will the stock monitors fit?" We need a thread dedicated to this topic...:D

On tirerack.com they list whether or not the factory TPMS sensor fits on the aftermarket wheels. Not sure if the other wheel sites do.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If indeed your factory sensors can be re-used. What does this re-learn entail? Do you have to go back to the dealership to do this or can the people who install your tires take care of this?

There is no way in hell I am spending $400 extra for stupid sensors that I could just as easily do without. It's kind of bullshit that this comes standard in my opinion. Your not even given a choice. I see the benefit of course but tires are expensive enough and these sensors could cost almost as much as a full set of tires. Does that seem right to you? I would just rather disable the light if I knew how. Is this something that would make you fail an inspection?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know exactly how the TPMS works on the Forte's, but some vehicles have a monitor in the ABS system that only monitors the rotations of each tire and report a problem if there's a difference in any one tire. Other vehicles have a sensor in each wheel that actually reads the pressure in each tire. Most of these vehicles have a display that you can select and see the pressures in realtime. Obviously the later version would come into play if you were looking at aftermarket wheels. Just a guess, but since Kia's are relatively inexpensive and the TPMS is only a warning light...my feeling is we have the former type of system.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't know exactly how the TPMS works on the Forte's, but some vehicles have a monitor in the ABS system that only monitors the rotations of each tire and report a problem if there's a difference in any one tire. Other vehicles have a sensor in each wheel that actually reads the pressure in each tire. Most of these vehicles have a display that you can select and see the pressures in realtime. Obviously the later version would come into play if you were looking at aftermarket wheels. Just a guess, but since Kia's are relatively inexpensive and the TPMS is only a warning light...my feeling is we have the former type of system.

Correct, the TPMS will let you know when you have a low tire, you just have to figure out which one it is. There is a sensor in each individual wheel though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Apparently there is a sensor in each wheel and to get new ones is not cheap. I plan to get new rims and tires and use my old rims for winter tires and leave the sensors in the old rims. I do not plan on spending an additional $400+ to get new sensors for my new rims. That's crazy. Anyway, I will just learn to live with a little light coming on to remind me I am cheap and didn't spend the extra cash to turn this little light off :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am some glad they don't have TPMS sensors in the Canadian version!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
i like the fact that they have the sensors... ive had 4, yes count it 4, nails in my different tires and the light has told me the air was getting low which lead to me finding the nail. i would have thought nothing of the tires otherwise. when i get new wheels, i plan on getting either new ones for the new wheels and tires or re using these.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i like the fact that they have the sensors... ive had 4, yes count it 4, nails in my different tires and the light has told me the air was getting low which lead to me finding the nail. i would have thought nothing of the tires otherwise. when i get new wheels, i plan on getting either new ones for the new wheels and tires or re using these.
Well if your prone to nails then the sensors are worth it for you ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts