Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Kia TPMS sensors can be reprogrammed?
I recently purchased winter tires. I used the same rims which were on my Stinger which I sold. The rims have Kia TPMS sensors. However I'm getting a warning on the dash stating check Tire Pressure Monitoring System and no pressures are displaying. Could it be that the Stinger sensors are not compatible with my Forte?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Probably needs a reset or relearn to match the sensors with the system. I do not know the Stinger vs. Forte systems, if there are differences. Basically, there are two types, in-wheel sensor vs. indirect sensors.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The factory sensors can't be reprogrammed but you can buy ones that can be. If you pay the dealer to reprogram your Forte to accept the Stinger sensors, you'll have to pay them again in the spring when you replace your winter tires with the originals.

What I did was purchase an Autel TS401 TPMS scanner/programmer and a set (4) of Autel programmable sensors. I used the scanner to read the codes from the original sensors then programmed the Autel sensors with those same codes. I installed the Autel sensors in the wheels for my winter tires. This way both my winter tires and my summer tires have the exact same TPMS codes so the car doesn't know anything has changed when i swap tires.

The scanner was about $135 on Amazon
The sensors are about $120 for a set of 4 on Amazon

So you're looking at $255 to set yourself up. That may seem like a lot but you won't have to go to the dealer every time you swap your tires and pay them to change the programming in your car. It made sense for me because I have 5 cars that all have winter tires. I purchased the scanner over a year ago and bought 5 sets of programmable sensors. I swap tires at will.

Also, the sensors are available with metal or rubber valve stems. Personally I prefer the rubber valve stems. ANd make sure to get the ones that are dual frequency (315 MHz and 433 MHz)

Reactions: Acura_Kal
1 - 5 of 5 Posts