Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving around 100 mph on a cold highway, the TPMS light came on and off by itself when I slowed down. This is not the under inflated warning light but the letter "TPMS".

It seems like the light comes on when the speed is high and goes off when I drive with the normal flow.

I checked the air pressure on the 4 tiers and they were fine. I checked the value stems for any movement and they were solid and not moving.

I guess something inside the sensor must be loose a little bit and maybe the high speed would cause it to move (like battery connection in the TPMS sensor itself ?) and trigger the warning light. It's not worth my time to visit the dealer yet, since it's so hard to replicate near the dealer !

·
Registered
289 Posts
TPMS is tire pressure monitoring system. It tells you when your tires are showing a drop in pressure. I don't know what the cut off pressure is but perhaps with the cold temp it shows less pressure. With speed the tires will heat up and cause the air to expand and bring the pressure up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The actual "TPMS" light indicates an issue with the actual TPMS system, not the tire pressure. The light indicating low tire pressure looks like a flattened knobby tire with an exclamation point inside.

Take it to your dealer and have them check it out if it occurs frequently.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You dont need to worry about that. I have the same issue. I took it to the dealer and told me that since the weather is cold, the tire tend to lose some pressure. Nothing wrong with it. But just to be safe and take it back to the dealer and make sure there is no nails in your tires.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to be clear, it's NOT the under inflated warning light, but the actual TPMS system warning light. The tire pressure was normal all the time.

Has anyone seen TPMS light come on and off by itself during normal driving and on highway ?

I could not reproduce the problem driving around suburbs. I won't take it to the dealer until it's reproducible. Furthermore, I really don't depend on TPMS system anyway. I frequently check tire pressure - especially with the winter temperatures fluctuating over 10 degrees F. I noticed Forte is VERY sensitive on ride quality if I over inflate by 1 psi and somewhat sluggish if I under inflate.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,174 Posts
If you read the owners manual it tells you that things like radar, microwaves, etc. can set the TPMS light off. It just means the TPMS is getting mixed signals. My TPMS light was going off-and-on during my first long trip in my sedan SX -- it turned out the TPMS system lost contact with the rear wheels. The dealer did a relearn and I haven't had the light come on since. This is not something you can do yourself -- take it to the dealer when you can and let them check it out. Better to be safe.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When driving to NJ from St Catharines a few months ago my TPMS light (not the ( ! ) light) came on, it was on for about 2 minutes then went back off, I've not seen it since, however.
Wish I could report the same. Mine has periodically had the low pressure flash/stay on/go out since the vehicle was new. Dealer reports "nothing found" yet the completely unreliable TPMS system has randomly triggered false readings for years. Anymore, it's just something to ignore.
I do not buy into the "radar, microwaves, ect" claim since the light does not trigger at specific points of travel like on a particular hilltop or in a specific area and there is no correlation with speed or temperature.
It's just an inefficiently designed system or poorly written code.
I even asked the dealer to disable the system so the light stays out. They won't.
In reference to the OP and his TPMS light - It's possible the high speed and centrifugal force within the tire sensor caused a failed battery connection and the system reported a failure since the signal was lost.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Something to consider. On Hyundai and kia. Esc/abs also communicate with the tpms systems. A fault with one of the other two nodes can cause the tpms system fault light to come on.

I can go into detail how the system works. But that's another subject.

Reactions: 17929
1 - 9 of 9 Posts