Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that some of the reviews of the Forte talk about TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System).
I can't find anything the sales literature in either Canada or the US.

Does anyone know if the Forte is equiped with it?:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
yes it is standard

Standard Kia Motors Safety Forte offers a class-leading level of standard safety equipment, with features such as active front headrests, advanced two-stage airbags, front seat-mounted and side curtain airbags, four-wheel disc brakes with an antilock brake system (ABS), electronic stability control (ESC) and traction control (TCS), and a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).

Kia Media

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I'm not mistaken TPMS is standard in USA and unavailable in Can.
That makes sense as I can find no reference in my Canadian brochure. I prefer not to have it, makes wheel and tire changes a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I've ask the question at my local dealership. Canadian version do not come with tpms.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it a bad thing that it doesn't have it or really no big deal?
For me it's preferable not to have it. I've from people who have it in other makes and their seems to be a lot of misreadings and false warnings with these systems.
Also, there are some tire shops (Walmart here for one) that won't do tire changes on TPMS equipped wheels.
The sensor are also expensive if they fail or get damaged.

So for me, I'm happier without them. I just keep a good tire gauge in the car.:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
For me it's preferable not to have it. I've from people who have it in other makes and their seems to be a lot of misreadings and false warnings with these systems.
Also, there are some tire shops (Walmart here for one) that won't do tire changes on TPMS equipped wheels.
The sensor are also expensive if they fail or get damaged.

So for me, I'm happier without them. I just keep a good tire gauge in the car.:)
the new models with tire-up TPMS on wheels are stinky,the old system with level control was nice

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine has already started acting up a bit in different temperatures. Was never really a big fan of these kind of systems, seem like they are more annoying then they are helpful most of the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I must agree, my tpms malfunction light comes on once in a while, but by the time i get to the dealership, to have them check it out, the light goes off. it's very annoying at times.

·
Registered
2021 Forte5 GT Ltd
32 Posts
I'm glad that my Forte doesn't have TPMS because just now I realize the disavantage of have them. I also have a Dodge Journey 09 and they are equipe with TPMS (metal valve), and some tire shop will not change the tires because they are not equipe to change them without the chance of dammaging the unit. Or other tire shop will charge more for the hassle. And if I wanted to buy winter rims and install TPMS for my new rims, they are 80$C each plus 110$C for OE rims...OUCH!!!

Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
TPMS is mandatory in the US now. That's because Americans were to lazy to check their tire pressure, so now we have the TPMS system which cost about a grand for each car produced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine has already started acting up a bit in different temperatures. Was never really a big fan of these kind of systems, seem like they are more annoying then they are helpful most of the time.
That is due to the fact that your tires have less Tire Pressure when cold. There is a specific PSI that the TPMS is set to alert you at. Chances are that the pressure you have is enough so that when cold, it is below the alert PSI, but once you start driving, and the tires warm up (and the air expands), the sensor shuts off. Put about 3-5lbs more in there when they are cold, and I'd bet that will solve your problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know if this is a standard Kia thing or not, but the dealership here in London uses Nitrogen in the tires as it is supposed to last much longer than standard air inflated tires. It is supposed to be better in all temperatures and the salesman I dealt with (not that you can really trust a car salesman) told me that they didn't have TPMS in Canada because it wasn't mandatory like it is in the US. He told me that the Nitrogen injected tires do away with the need for tire pressure monitoring.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I don't know if this is a standard Kia thing or not, but the dealership here in London uses Nitrogen in the tires as it is supposed to last much longer than standard air inflated tires. It is supposed to be better in all temperatures and the salesman I dealt with (not that you can really trust a car salesman) told me that they didn't have TPMS in Canada because it wasn't mandatory like it is in the US. He told me that the Nitrogen injected tires do away with the need for tire pressure monitoring.
You are right Jibba, there's no federal rules about TPMS in Canada, may be provincial rules but none in Quebec.
About nitrogen, I do fill my tire with 80% nitrogen ;) and it work greath!

·
Registered
66 Posts
TPMS is mandatory in the US now. That's because Americans were to lazy to check their tire pressure, so now we have the TPMS system which cost about a grand for each car produced.
Tire Rack sells them for $380 for 4 tires, in volume they must go for around $200 then, not $1000.

·
Registered
283 Posts
the new models with tire-up TPMS on wheels are stinky,the old system with level control was nice
I agree with you ,i had the level system on ford windstar and was realy great,don't need tothink about on tire changing now on the new focus that my wife has is with tire-ups and is realy stinky,150 bucks each,and i have rims for summer and wheels for winter so by the spring to falls not working i don't want to spend 600 bucks for this crap wich is even malfuntioning with the big diference of temperature

canadian forte don't think to have it i don,t even seen it on board,but i can told you that on the highway is realy helping,especialy if you have expensive rims and tires!!!:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Temperature dropped from 50F to 25F within a day. TPMS alarm on my Forte and wife's Suzuki. Checked all wheels (I carry a compressor), they were 2-3 PSI low. After filling the alarm stayed on until it got warm again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts