Kia Forte Forum banner

TPS adjustment procedure (throttle mod.)

83K views 146 replies 57 participants last post by  Acura_Kal 
#1 · (Edited)
*note: This post covers the accelerator position sensor (APS) not the throttle position sensor (TPS).

Here's a brief tutorial on my method of adjusting the APS (accelerator position sensor) on a Kia Forte.

Step 1: Gather your tools

A. Multimeter (set to DC voltage- 20 scale)
B. A pin or needle (mine have alligator clips attached to them)
C. A small phillips screwdriver

Step 2: With the engine off, locate and remove the connector from the top of the APS sensor (attached to the left side of the throttle pedal)

Step 3: Insert pin or needle into the third wire from the left (orange). When inserting, make sure that you stick the needle where the wire comes into the connector (the side with the yellow retainer)- not the side that plugs into the APS sensor. This is called back-probing.

Step 4: Plug the connector back into the APS and connect the multimeter (positive to needle on APS plug and negative to a good ground).

Step 5: Start the engine. Your multimeter should read ~ 0.78 volts (that's what mine was). If your multimeter is reading 0 volts, check your connections- you may not have a good connection with the wire inside the connector.

Step 6: Loosen the 5 screws circled in red, but don't remove the sensor ( I borrowed this pic from the original tutorial).

Step 7: While watching the multimeter, rotate the APS until you read close to, but no more than 1.0 volts. Mine started out at 0.98 volts, but decreased to 0.94 volts as I re-tightened the screws (I feel that 0.95 volts is ideal, but 0.94 volts is close enough for me). It may also take some wiggling/ more loosening of the screws to get the voltage to change.

Step 8: Re-tighten the 5 APS screws, holding the sensor in its new position as you tighten (voltage will drop some).

Step 9: Remove the needle from the connector.

Step 10: Put your tools away! It's time to enjoy your work! :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Here's a brief tutorial on my method of adjusting the TPS (throttle position sensor) on a Kia Forte.

Step 6: Loosen the 5 screws circled in red, but don't remove the sensor ( I borrowed this pic from the original tutorial).

Step 7: While watching the multimeter, rotate the TPS until you read close to, but no more than 1.0 volts. Mine started out at 0.98 volts, but decreased to 0.94 volts as I re-tightened the screws (I feel that 0.95 volts is ideal, but 0.94 volts is close enough for me). It may also take some wiggling/ more loosening of the screws to get the voltage to change.

Step 8: Re-tighten the 5 TPS screws, holding the sensor in its new position as you tighten (voltage will drop some).

:)
:)Great write-up for the masses!

Step 6: Like to point out that the fifth (upper right) screw is a set screw -- may have to remove it or loosen it quite a bit to allow for adjustment. The other four screws just need to be loosened a bit.

Step 7: 0.94 volts is really the most you want at idle. It will get rid of the "dead spot" completely -- having it a 1.0 and up volts can cause erratic idling.

#12 ·
Oh mannnnn, this has to be the best thing ever, well not the best but its up there. Thanks for the DIY. was extremely easy. Got it set at .94v Threw a couple codes, but not a biggie. Went to work and used the GDS (kia scan tool) and found codes P2122 (Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "D" Circuit Low Input) A P2127 (Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "E" Circuit Low Input) and a P2104 (Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle ) Just cleared the codes. took it for a rip and rescanned the PCM and found no codes. MINT

#113 ·
I got the same codes as you did and it wont let me clear them for some reason? I have the P2122 and P2104 codes. I tightened everything back up and it is idling and running great. Any ideas?

#14 ·
New user been reading this site for a while.

Just wanted to say thank you for the write up, night and day difference. I set mine to .9 volts.

And for those asking yes this works on the auto's, now it actually feels like a manual shift into second using manual mode :) And as someone else said which I will back the effect its like driving a new car.

I just wish I would have known about this before I would have gotten the manual over the auto but its all good..

Thank you again!

#16 ·
"Step 4: Plug the connector back into the TPS and connect the multimeter (positive to needle on TPS plug and negative to a good ground). "

sorry for my ingorance...what would be a good ground?? i never used a voltimeter before...so im a litle confused :S

BTW: does anybody checked if with this mod, with cold engine at the start the revs will go further than usual? and by using the A/C ???

#17 ·
on the sedan sx's there is a bolt in the floor kinda right between the brake and gas pedals. you should see a couple of wires bolted to the floor. that would be a good ground.

#24 ·
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMNNNN!!!! PERFECT! im so happy right now...no ankle pain during bumper 2 bumper traffic no more!!!
btw: any of you that did this mod....i feel that the car has improved acceleration....could this be posible?
Could be due to the sensation that you don't have to push the throttle as much to get the same acceleration. You could be used to your foot position before adjustment -- now when you have your foot in the same place you actually are opening the throttle up a bit more...this make sense?

#26 ·
btw...i managed to set the pedal in 0.96 v .... the dealer checked this with the corporation procotols or something like that (i didnt knew what the heck he was talking about) and told me that its totaly under kia regulations....even if you set it at 1.0 v.... so for my total happiness this mod is under warranty :D

#27 ·
well I tried to do mine and right at start I have 1.2v and it stays there , after much of pushing, pulling , found out that it was already set to the lowest point , which is 1.2v:eek: what gives?
after the whole thing done had an engine check lite , so unplugged the battery and plugged back in , engine lite off :) but I'm a little concern on the reading 1.2v ...... any advise ?
thx

#36 · (Edited)
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

I have never driven a more difficult manual trans. I have driven everything from 3 speed on the tree (Column shifter) to Corvette 350 5-speeds)

I have 350 miles on the car and was starting to doubt my decision to get the SX 6-speed Koup. The stalls were really starting to ... me off.

This mod really helped. Feels like a different clutch entirely.

I saw one post about engine light. Just make sure you turn off the ignition switch in between each rotation adjustment. My biggest problem was finding the .94 - .98 sweet spot. My trick was to have the volt meter say 1.02v then tighten screws. .97 when complete. Wonderful mod!!!

.74v before making mod.

Thanks again :):):)