Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv only noticed this 3 times in the past couple months but every so often my traction control light will come on and stay on even if i push the TC button to turn it on or off

today i noticed it happend on my way into work when i went around a turn on an off ramp at about 70 merging onto another expressway i didnt loose traction or slide thru the turn at all

Also then when i got to work i shut off the car turned it back on and the light was off so just to see if i could find the source i zipped around the parking lot and found when i would turn hard (swerve) while accelerating the light would flicker....

Also i have been told i need an alighment but im getting rims in the spring and dont want to pay for 2 alignments becuz the current alignment isnt off the much... i also have snow tires on (General Altimax Ice) if someone thinks that could be the purpose

p.s. the roads were perfectly clear and dry this morning

sorry for the long post

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I had the same problem about a week ago... :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Me too

I also had this happen to me last Friday as I was driving home in the rain. When I got home I restarted the car and the light reset itself. I'm hoping it's a one off but after reading here that others are experiencing the same issue It has me wondering. I'll be watching this closely.

Mark

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do u need an alignment also? or did it just happen?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmmm...

I hope not. It's only a month old. However I do notice that on the highway it does tend to want to pull to the left a little. I think what is happening is that the cars esc system is detecting a small traction loss, stabalizes the car, and then for some reason is not resetting the esc light? What I'm curious to know is when this happens is it just the light thats failed to reset or has the entire esc system locked up?

Mark

do u need an alignment also? or did it just happen?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya im going to call the dealership on monday and try and figure out the issue

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've had this issue as well. I can start the car and the light will come on and when I push it, the light still stays on. I then turn it off and sometimes it will be off but sometimes it will stay on even after restarting. I'm taking it to the dealer when I get a chance. Also, I can have traction control on but I can still makes the car spin the tires on wet roads, I can do this for 50 ft. or more and then after that the traction control will engage and stop it from spinning. I just don't get that, other cars I've driven will spin for maybe a second and then the traction control will engage as it's supposed to. I just think the traction control on the Forte's is junk.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My TCS light doesn't come on, but I have noticed that my almost 2 month old Koup does pull to the left a little.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i went to the dealer today because this has happened a few times also, i got the card of the manager of the service dept and im callin him in the morning about it. ill post up what he says!

ok let me add now that i see what forum this is in.. i did a search on traction control because i have this issue and just posted w/o seeing where this thread was. I do not have a koup, i have an EX sedan.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i went to the dealer today because this has happened a few times also, i got the card of the manager of the service dept and im callin him in the morning about it. ill post up what he says!

ok let me add now that i see what forum this is in.. i did a search on traction control because i have this issue and just posted w/o seeing where this thread was. I do not have a koup, i have an EX sedan.
this happened to me too, it says in the maul a couple of remedies but I figured it out i think. If you sit in your car with the keys in in ignition and the engine off for a prolonged period of time sometimes it offsets something with the traction control light and it will stay on. i drove a couple of miles and was pissed that i couldn't get it to go off. i came to a light turned the car off and turned it back on and problem was solved. no worries

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its been happening to me too for couple of days now after a year i have my car never happened before I'm taking it to the dealer this weekend

·
Registered
427 Posts
if you are keeping your keys in your ignition for prolonged periods of time before starting your car this will happen. try not doing that it may help and you might not have to go to the dealership. i guarantee thats what u guys are doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ill have to test your theory JR, i spoke to the service tech at the dealer and its goin in mainly for my steering wheel stereo control going wacky on me(lowering the volume turns bluetooth on lol) but he said it could be a relay thats not communicating correctly with the TCS.. but we shall see, i hope its something stupid like my key being in the ignition to long lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine just started doing this...the TCS does not engage when it should, instead the light comes on and stays on. Won't shut off with the button, but goes off if I restart the car. I can duplicate the issue by taking a sharp turn that would normally activate the TCS...sure hope the dealer can figure it out.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I never pay attention to that light lol! I guess I should be a little bit more aware from now on.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine has been doing a lot here lately. Sometimes even turning off the car and turning it back on doesn't help. I'm not sure what it's doing and I don't sit in there with the keys in the ignition so I don't think it's that. Debating on going into the dealer or not now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
OK so I took mine to the dealer this morning...they replaced the brake light switch. Said it was a common problem. Apparently they had a bad batch of brake light switches that have an intermittent fault that causes the TCS warning to come on, you will also have no brake lights when this occurs. It affects quite a few Kia and Hyundai models that use the same part number for the brake switch, they had over 30 replacement parts in stock...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Oh wow... Well I guess I will be taking mine into the dealer this Saturday then. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had two brake lamp switchs replaced in 1 year they have a defective plunger. The car wouldn't shift out of park I had to have it towed to the dealer. The first time it wouldn't shift out of drive my husband took it to the dealer for me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.