Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, I've been off this site for many months, still check in once and a while, but haven't been an active member really. Still, I'd appreciate some thoughts or advice on my question.

So, my 2010 Forte SX Sedan is in great shape, just rolled 20,000 kms (Canadian model) last week. I bought it last December 2009 and 2 weeks after I drove it off the lot I was rear-ended by a woman driving 60km/hr while sitting at a red light. The trunk, rear doors, gas tank, exhaust were all replaced along with numerous other parts. It was repaired by CarStar and only Kia parts were used. No problems with it at all over the past year.

My question is if anyone feels that I will get a good trade-in value for my car on a new 2011 Forte 5 SX with the Luxury package (nav, push button start and electronic mirror). I know that the cars are around $4500 difference in price brand new, but is it worth it to try and trade in mine for a new '11 Forte 5? I'd do it if my payments went up even $80-90 a month for 7 years.

What do you think? Am I pipe-dreaming or is this do-able?

Thanks,

Jibbs

·
Registered
218 Posts
First off, I've been off this site for many months, still check in once and a while, but haven't been an active member really. Still, I'd appreciate some thoughts or advice on my question.

So, my 2010 Forte SX Sedan is in great shape, just rolled 20,000 kms (Canadian model) last week. I bought it last December 2009 and 2 weeks after I drove it off the lot I was rear-ended by a woman driving 60km/hr while sitting at a red light. The trunk, rear doors, gas tank, exhaust were all replaced along with numerous other parts. It was repaired by CarStar and only Kia parts were used. No problems with it at all over the past year.

My question is if anyone feels that I will get a good trade-in value for my car on a new 2011 Forte 5 SX with the Luxury package (nav, push button start and electronic mirror). I know that the cars are around $4500 difference in price brand new, but is it worth it to try and trade in mine for a new '11 Forte 5? I'd do it if my payments went up even $80-90 a month for 7 years.

Thanks,

Jibbs
Only way to know is to check Edmunds or KBB and see what a "clean" trade-in value for your car and the average selling price for the 2011 5 door would be. Then do the arithmetic. Sadly, I suspect you'll be disappointed with the difference. Dealers don't want to give anything for used vehicles unless they are super hungry.

I have one but personally, I don't view the navigation and push button start to be worth the extra money. My SX has only the sun-roof and it is otherwise perfectly equipped. I would not accept less than the SX because of the standard options.

Sorry, I would not be optimistic over the difference you anticipate. But just so you know, go to a dealer you trust and see what the price they shove across the table at you. Then you will know. And be prepared to walk out the door. You must be willing to do that. If you are looking at payments as a deal maker, you will wind up getting the shaft. That is something I can guarantee you. Sorry, but I am just giving you the straight scoop. I've been through this drill too many times.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have looked at trading up to the 2011 Koup SX Luxury edition and it does not work in your favor at all. I maninly want a few of the upgrades but my payment would be way more and I to have less than 20k on my car, plus the mods i have added. I even went to the dealership I trust best.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your car is practically brand new, If you just want to trade because of the "technology package" I don't think its worth it, I don't think its a good idea to trade in you car for anything else really (specially this early in the game) because you will lose way too much money.

Your car is about $14-$15k CA trade in price (+-1000) because of the crash report...(15k is a realistic figure)

And the New 2011 Forte5 will be around $26,000 (-500) rebate.

You'll be around $11,000 CA down just for an upgrade that for me it doesn't make sense which if I can calculate will be around $150-170 CA EXTRA A MONTH (add this figure to your current monthly payments x 72 months).

Just like the salesman at my dealership told me..."its your money, and you can do whatever the hell you want with it".

But if it was me, I'll just wait a few more years (2 more ideally) or just do like me and sell right before the warranty expires that way when you'll get another car it will have full warranty.

Believe me if you are always buying and trading and losing money I don't think thats being financially healthy.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't really understand the "TRADING UP" thing honestly...and I am not hating on anyone...I just don't understand it....Personally I would rather install allot of the new technologies myself once it becomes available rather than get killed by losing out and having a higher payment....

Another thing you aren't thinking about...The cars been in a accident...Would that not decrease the value of the car even more? I don't know much about that so please correct me if I am wrong....

·
Registered
196 Posts
He wasn't just looking at the technology package the other more major factor was the 5 door. I think doing a trade in would not work out for the dollars wanted but a private sale might make it work.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your input. There is more to the trading up idea than just extra features. In the past year I've gotten a large dog and have been protecting the back seat by putting down a blanket every time he is in the car. The 5 door is more practical for him so that he can have an area that he can jump in and out of without worrying about damaging the leather, getting the interior dirty, etc.

With that being said though, it still doesn't really make a lot of sense to pay another $150-$170 a month for roughly the same car. I was hoping it would be within another $100/month and that would allow me to get out of a car that was in an accident as well as get some new features that I was wanting on my original purchase and satisfy my need for a "doggie area" in the new vehicle. I think it would just be best to wait for a few years to make it more sensible. I may just give the dealer a call and see what they are willing to offer me. Isn't this the time of year is when they are hungry for a sale?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,830 Posts
I've considered upgrading too -- trading in my 2010 Koup for a 2011 Koup to get the 6-spd auto and paddle shifters and LED tail lights. Not at all in our favor to do so. The trade-in value is SO LOW that it is not worth it.
My .02: In the end if it is what you want to do -- try to sell your 2010 yourself, don't get hosed by trading it in...LoL!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks all for your input. There is more to the trading up idea than just extra features. In the past year I've gotten a large dog and have been protecting the back seat by putting down a blanket every time he is in the car. The 5 door is more practical for him so that he can have an area that he can jump in and out of without worrying about damaging the leather, getting the interior dirty, etc.

With that being said though, it still doesn't really make a lot of sense to pay another $150-$170 a month for roughly the same car. I was hoping it would be within another $100/month and that would allow me to get out of a car that was in an accident as well as get some new features that I was wanting on my original purchase and satisfy my need for a "doggie area" in the new vehicle. I think it would just be best to wait for a few years to make it more sensible. I may just give the dealer a call and see what they are willing to offer me. Isn't this the time of year is when they are hungry for a sale?
It can be a good time and the best time is when there is a raging snow storm or a frog strangler is raging outside the dealership. I would simply explain to the dealer that your needs have changed and you need a five door. Maybe he will shoot you a deal you can't turn down. Expecially, if this one sale is one that allows him to make a special bonus. They also have a 3% holdback in the U.S. they can dig into for "emergencies" and have something in excess of a $1,000 markup so on a $20,000 car U.S. they have about $1,600 so far. As I recall you pay about double for freight which I don't understand offhand. Typically that is additional profit for the manufacturer or dealer. The dealer might get an extra five grand to make a quota so if you time it perfectly, you could make out like a bandit. It all depends on two things. How deep are your pockets and how bad is your itch? Speaking for myself, I'm never satisfied until I get exactly what I want. That's why I made up my mind on the five door SX which has pleased me no end. It's a pure joy to drive.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey Jibb......it has been a LONG time since weève seen or heard from you!
Firstly.....of course wishing you a wonderful new YEAR!

It would be beneficial to check with the dealerships now....they have the quite a few GOOD deals happening, and they may be hungry for a sale. I'm sure you will take a hit for the trade in, however with the 'offers' KIA has, it may make up the loss.....

Maybe even check out some dealers here in T.O. (I'm trading my wife's Sedona for a Seronto....and got an awesome deal!)

Will you be heading this way anytime soon? Let us know :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
You have a great reason for the 5 door along with some other features you want. My advice would be to at least check it out and get some numbers from your dealer then decide if it is good for you. The worst thing would be to keep thinking you should have traded up and beat yourself up for not going the next mile and seeing what kind of a deal you could get.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was just in a similar situation but with no dog but kids, i traded my Koup for a Soul Sport Special Edition and seriously if youre willing to trade in with the dealership youll looking to lose big money, i just wanted this model and went for it, but like some of the guys said if your pockets are deep or cant hold the itch go for it, youll be satisfy at the end when you drive your clean brand new car off the lot. After all keep paying your current car for another 2 years means loosing money sooner or later specially with the huge depreciation these cars get as time pass by.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Thanks,

Jibbs

The issue is not the depreciation on the car but the fact that by your description of the accident the claim through the insurance is more than $3500, which creates a problem for the dealer because it MUST be disclosed to whom ever buys it. That said, fire me off a PM with how much you owe on the car and I'll see what I can do for you.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, after getting an idea on what this may end up costing me, I'm not too interested in upgrading. It looks like it could cost me around $200/month more than I'm paying now on a 7 year term! That's more than twice what I was thinking, so the dream ends here! :(

It's not that I don't love my SX Sedan, but my needs have changed slightly and the new features on the 2011 have made it more desirable. Anyway, I'll stick to my current ride and just keep enjoying it for a while.

Thanks for all of your opinions and thoughts on this.

Jibbs

Oh, and I will try to post more on the site. I haven't made plans to travel up to Toronto any time soon, but if there is another meetup, I may just have to come up from London!

·
Registered
1 Posts

How's the dog doing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts