Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question is:

Has anybody installed a trailer hitch onto their Forte yet? If so, what brand? Was the install easy?

Now the rant:

What's the deal with people that pull up really close behind you at a traffic light? I'm not being paranoid - these dimwits feel like they can't leave any space between their front bumper and my rear bumper. I simply see no reason for this - what I can see is one of these morons making a mistake (shocking), or simply dropping their foot off the brake for an instant. With such a small space in front of their car, these idiots have removed any margin for error. The result of this intelligent driving would be my rear bumper with nice impressions of their license plate bolts/etc. No big deal... until the multi-hundred dollar bill from the body shop to fix the finish on the bumper.

In an effort to mitigate such stupidity, I've begun to leave a bit more space in front of my car so that I can inch away from these morons once they've come to a (often screeching) halt. Of course, when I inch away from them, the morons often just pull up close again. Maddening.

I'm seriously considering a trailer hitch so I can mount a big 'ole trailer ball behind my bumper... or better yet, a big spike, right about at radiator level, pointing to the rear. :D

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like a good stupidity deterrent but I've read stories about how rear end accidents have lead to frame damage on the car with the hitch ball installed. Of course this isn't an issue with those creeping on you at stop lights but it might turn into a bigger headache if someone happens to slam into you.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good point... and one of the main reasons why I'm hesitant to try this. I just hate the idea of some moron ruining my painted bumper with no damage to theirs. Creeps that "go through life by braille" drive me nuts. I wish there was some way to discourage this kind of careless driving.

I can't wait until winter with icy streets...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've already had a bad experience with this in my Koup. Kid in a TC pulls up close behind me at a light and his foot slips off the brake for a tiny bit (idiot wasnt wearing shoes, only socks) and gives my bumper a nice little crack. Oh well, sucks for him as his insurance paid for it. I'm sure his parents weren't too happy :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay - I found something that would REALLY get some idiot's attention. Farm equipment FTW! :D

I also found this on another website. This has to be the weirdest receiver hitch attachment I've ever seen!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I mainly get people pulling up close read what my emblem says since there is no other badges. :)

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
i drop it in reverse whenever they creep up on me. (half way drop it, you know how in the sticks you can activate your reverse lights without having it in gear) .

as for the trailer, there's one for the koup on ebay... or your local U-haul will have one.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
This has to be the weirdest receiver hitch attachment I've ever seen!

you HAVE to get this and run around with a calf on it!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I installed a Curt receiver hitch on my 2010 Forte EX. It was easy to install...probably around 30 minutes. Bolts to factory holes with welded in nuts in the frame, and to the factory tow loop in the center. Hardest part was supporting the hitch while installing, as it's pretty heavy. I used a jack under the opposite side I was working on. The rubber exhaust hangar has to be temporarily removed, as the hook goes thru a hole in the frame. I bought it online, around $120. Included receiver hitch, all hardware, and ball mount.
I used an adaptor harness for lighting that plugs in between the tail lights and tail light wire connectors. 30 minutes to install the wiring kit.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that information, weedhopr! I was looking at the Curt since it seems to be the only option out there right now. Glad to hear that the install is somewhat easy - I always worry that the holes won't line up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I feel I need to contribute my story with a trailer hitch incident.

I used to have a 2000 Chevy Silverado that was used to tow my snowmobiles. It was at the end of the season and I hadn't removed the drop hitch yet from the receiver.

Any way, I was sitting at a red light and it was raining out. Behind me there was a kid in his 1991 Honda CRX racing his engine. ( I actually could hear it hitting the rev limiter). This goes on for about 15-20 seconds when I hear a thud and my truck kinda lerches forward. I then feel the truck being jerked backwards.

I say "WTF!!!" put the truck in park, get out and go to the rear of the truck.

Low and behold I see the CRX has impaled itself onto the receiver and the dip$hit is now stuck. He gets out and says. My foot slipped.

I say, well ding dong it you did have it floored. You probably would have been fine. I tell him to get back in the car and put on his brakes.

I get back in the truck put it in drive and floor it. I hear some carnage as I pull away from it. I get back out and see the front bumper cover is now on the ground and the radiator is now spilling it's green goo on to the pavement. He is upset and asks me if I'm going to call the cops to report it. (He wanted too).

I asked if he was serious about telling the cop how that he rear ended me. He replied with "I guess that's not a good idea."

I then left him in the middle of the intersection with his wounded CRX bleeding in the street.

So yes...the receiver hitch does server it purpose, however I don't think you would get the same result with it being on the Forte 5.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are other manufacturers that make hitches for the Forte. At the time Curt was the only one the place I ordered from could find in stock. They said I'd have it in 5-7 days, as it had to go from Curt, to the place I got it from, to me. 2 days later, UPS delivered it to my house, shipped direct from Curt. Don't remember who I ordered from. All I can find is the packing slip from Curt. I think e-hitches.com, or something similar.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Do forte's even have the power to move trailers around? i was looking at this to put a 14ft Jay boat on, id get scared of the chasis bending cuz theres too much weight on it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
any approximate on towing capacity? other than a 580-600 lb example?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
GVWR is 3700lbs (max allowable weight) and Since te curb weight is around 2700, I'd say you could tow 1000lbs legally, including your weight, gas and fluid. I do not know if the engine can pull an extra 1000lbs though. It labors a lot when I have three other people with me...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If anyone cares to read their owners manual...you know the thing in the what you ma call it in front of the passanger seat.....joking...

Page 5-45 says...
TRAILER TOWING

We do not recommend using this vehicle for trailer towing.

Just wanted to point that out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well the Forte being not rated for towing is more a case of being in the wrong country then it is the cars ability to tow. American stupidity and lawyers always leave american cars with lower or no tow rating even though the vehicle is perfectly capable. In australia the Kia Cerato 5 Door is rated as follows

............................................. M/T......A/T
Towing capacity unbraked (kg).....550..... 500
Towing capacity braked (kg)......1,200....1,000

Download maximum on towball (kg) 75

Or in american units thats
..............................................M/T......A/T
Towing capacity unbraked (lbs)....1,210....1,100
Towing capacity braked (lbs).......2,640.....2,200

Max tonque weight (lbs) 165

That's with the "2.0L Petrol" engine

Reference: Cerato hatch > Mechanical Specifications | KIA Australia

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm sure it could tow something small, I'd be more concerned about how the car handles and stops while towing. I want to get a hitch on my Koup but the primary use will be to hold a bike rack. If I keep my motorcycle I may see if I could find one of those front wheel tow dollies but that is the most I would put on it.

For those that have the hitches what size receiver do they have? Common is 1.25" and 2". I'm guessing it will be the 1.25"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts