Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the beginning but first a disclaimer... Yes, I know you are not supposed to pull a trailer with a 2015 Kia Sedan, so why did I install a trailer hitch? I will use this hitch to pull a small 12 foot boat trailer once a year..... and don't plan on going that far nor climbing any mountains with it.... That being said, I found and installed a category 1 Curt trailer hitch.... Easy enough for me but I understand why some people would struggle. I watched the You Tube "how to" video a couple of times for my exact model.

Next up was the wiring kit I needed to install for the trailer lights and again, there was a video and it was perfect, and everything was fine, until I tried to find the exact Curt wiring kit number they used in this install.... I looked everywhere.... and finally got enough replies, that stated simply that this kit number was no longer made, nobody has it in stock and it is superseded by a new kit number from Curt....... The question is "Why?" I think I know the answer now, but....

The new custom number stocked for this installation is Curt 56410. It is almost double the cost of the first kit they made for this car and looks identical. So I found my best deal and ordered it. When it arrived, I watched the installation video again that used the first edition of this harness.... and the installation of this one was identical..... remove panels as needed for access, unplug existing connectors and insert the T connectors on both sides...... screw in the ground wire as the first video showed with the self tapping (drilling) screw.... put all the panels back and you are good to go....

Wrong.... I know my son had to run a dedicated power wire back to the wiring harness on his Mazda..... The You Tube video did not run a dedicated power wire (provided) back to the control unit of the wiring harness... and his trailer lights worked fine.... Mine... don't...... I used a plug in wiring tester and it indicated that none of the electrical functions worked.... No running lights, no brake, no turn signals... nothing..... I then got out my continuity tester to manually check for these functions..... nothing.... none of them..... I walked away....

So... my suspicion and I will write to Curt and ask.... I suspect the first harness they sold did not use the dedicated power wire they provided and I would be the farm that it worked just fine for a while and then I would bet the harness started to fail causing them to end the production of that harness number and created a new product that would not work unless the dedicated power wire was in place running from the battery..... and that is where I am at today....

Has anyone else installed the 56410 harness and got it to work without running the power wire from the battery? PS... My son was lucky in that there is a "cigarette lighter" way in the back of his Mazda Five... and he simply tapped into that circuit and did NOT have to run a wire from the battery.... It worked fine....

Suggestions? Next stop? Curt support and I wonder if they will be honest about this and tell me? By the way... I don't need to get this wiring working yet.... Hard to use a boat to troll in Minnesota in January.....

Thanks...

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
528 Posts
My son and I installed a trailer hitch on his 2019 Corolla and the kit we had for the wiring had a dedicated power wire that I had to run under the car and directly connect to the battery. It sounds to me like you don't have a good ground connection. Maybe try running an extra ground wire under the car to the frame. How are you running your continuity checks? Some of those damned harness connectors are a pain in the ass to get a good probe connection on. You really have to stick them sometimes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been there; done that.... We rarely drive this car so the ground was made to the exact same spot as the video showed... I also grounded my continuity tester in several places including the frame.... still nothing with either the pro plug checking deal and the manual everyday lighted continuity checker.... I can wait to get my trailers out of the snow bank this spring but I did write to Curt Manufacturing and hope they tell me what I pretty much know will be true.... Their first kit for the Kia didn't hold up on the electrical circuit as shown in the video and I suspect they had a lot of problems.... I need to check to see if there is some kind of other power source, like a cigarette lighter, near the back seat of the sedan... I have never seen one but then again I have never looked either.... I have the box with the directions but never bothered to read the part about the dedicated power wire because I never thought I would need it.... but I guess it is time to do some reading about that and wait for an answer from Curt Manufacturing... I thought the reason for the dedicated power source was because later Kias used LED tail lights that demanded more electricity??? Mine are NOT LED lights.... so ???? Maybe I do need to check the ground and it is simple to do.... takes just a few minutes and might save a lot of grief.... Thanks...

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
320 Posts
Been there; done that.... We rarely drive this car so the ground was made to the exact same spot as the video showed... I also grounded my continuity tester in several places including the frame.... still nothing with either the pro plug checking deal and the manual everyday lighted continuity checker.... I can wait to get my trailers out of the snow bank this spring but I did write to Curt Manufacturing and hope they tell me what I pretty much know will be true.... Their first kit for the Kia didn't hold up on the electrical circuit as shown in the video and I suspect they had a lot of problems.... I need to check to see if there is some kind of other power source, like a cigarette lighter, near the back seat of the sedan... I have never seen one but then again I have never looked either.... I have the box with the directions but never bothered to read the part about the dedicated power wire because I never thought I would need it.... but I guess it is time to do some reading about that and wait for an answer from Curt Manufacturing... I thought the reason for the dedicated power source was because later Kias used LED tail lights that demanded more electricity??? Mine are NOT LED lights.... so ???? Maybe I do need to check the ground and it is simple to do.... takes just a few minutes and might save a lot of grief.... Thanks...
Check the grounds for sure, and read through the instructions completely to make sure you didn't miss something small and silly. Been there, done that. Also, the LEDs on the later ones use less power than the incandescent bulbs, not more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are so right about the LEDs on power..... but there was a disclaimer on one of the sources of information on this that suggested the dropping of the first version of this harness was due to the fact that LED changes were being made so ????? this was one of the reasons they suggested that caused this second edition harness being created... who knows.... the first harness kit install has an excellent video on how to install produced I think, by U Haul Trailers..... they seem to do a real good job explaining, showing, don't drink beer on the video, belch, and someone is doing first class work on the camera angles and lighting..... and I have installed several of these harnesses with plug in T connectors... The biggest headache can be the panel removals to get to the wiring..... I installed this harness exactly as the video showed..... and it does not work so let the troubleshooting begin.... and I will try a few interventions this week... number one is simple... put a jumper wire from the self drilling ground screw to the actual metal in the trailer hitch and then try the tester... That should tell me if that ground is acceptable.... If that still does not rectify the situation, the next plan is to run a power wire OUTSIDE the car, temporarily, from the battery up front back to the "power converter" as shown in the second set of instructions for this harness... They give you basically the first page and tell you that the power converter probably would not need to be installed... so do the T connectors, ground, and you should be good to go... This morning I read all about wiring the converter.... and Curt MFG does supply the wire so it will be fairly simple to just use alligator clips to check this out.... I am still using both a continuity test light and the professional lighted LED trailer plug tester both.... and this probably won't happen until next week now.... I have time.... boat trailer and sure don't need a boat trailer in MN in January..... Have a good one.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS ..... Just took a look at the You Tube video on this again to see if I missed something.... and read the directions which tend to be a little bit of a challenge.... Here is the link to the video if you want to see how easy this is supposed to be and my installation was identical to this one...

I then went to Curt MFG and downloaded the application chart to make sure I had the right kit (harness) and yes, the 56410 in the new updated number..... so that is right... Next is to try to find the video that shows a complete installation of the 56410 but I suspect it is so new, that there is not one... Also, on the original video above someone has deleted (as far as I can tell) the entire comment section below the video that used to be there.... I suspect because that part number is now obsolete, that they are just trying to downplay this a bit.... I still have the installation question at the Curt website but think I am on my own on troubleshooting this one..... Two more interventions to try though.... so here's hoping...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PPS.... Upon further review.... This is just an FYI with a link if you are curious... but I googled Curt 56410 and came up with the actual listing and details of this hitch.... and they again say "simple installation" but then get just a little further down on the instructions and say this....

Notes:
  • Vehicle battery connection required
  • Includes fuse holder, battery connection wiring and other necessary wiring components
Let's just say that the "simple installation" wording probably should be removed in the sales pitch although this is still not a world class installation problem... just time.... and be careful about where you route the wire..... I would like to route the wire INSIDE the car and not under it.... is that possible? Suggestions appreciated...

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
528 Posts
If your rear seats fold down, it shouldn't be all that difficult. I'd just run the wire from under the trunk lid, beside where the seat folds down and then tuck the wire along side the back seat cushion and down the side beside the back seat driver side door. I'd pull up the scuff plate on both the front and back door and then run it under the carpet and up beside the driver side foot rest. From there, find a grommet in the firewall you can remove and run the wire under the dash and out of that grommet hole and up to the battery. You might have to drill a hole in the firewall or you could simply run it up from the scuff plate to inside the door and in the door gap to the fender/hood gap to the battery. Just a suggestion or two. We ran it under the car on my sons Corolla because he was impatient and didn't want to take 45 minutes to an hour to do it the way I suggested. The car is gone now and the hitch is STILL sitting in my garage. I think I'll put it on craigslist and see if I can get a hundred bucks for it. I've asked him to do that several times and he's ignored me. So, if I list it and sell it, I'll keep the cash.

·
Registered
'21 GT Manual
108 Posts
Even easier than running a dedicated power wire from the battery: Take the bare 12V+ wire from the trailer light box and put a cigarette lighter plug on the end.. You said you only need it once a year, tuck the wire away somewhere when you're not using it, then when you need it pull it out and plug it into the cigarette lighter. Keep us updated on your solution!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
528 Posts
Even easier than running a dedicated power wire from the battery: Take the bare 12V+ wire from the trailer light box and put a cigarette lighter plug on the end.. You said you only need it once a year, tuck the wire away somewhere when you're not using it, then when you need it pull it out and plug it into the cigarette lighter. Keep us updated on your solution!
Great idea, Chevrasaki! I like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts