Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have searched for this on older threads with no luck. I have read about flushing-replacing transmission fluid. I have read some say 15,000 manual says 40,000 some say the fluid is good for 100k plus.......I am at 80000 with oringal fluid regardless wither im over or under I want to replace mine. The 1 questions I can not find is if there is an actual transmission filter on a 2010 forte 2.0 5spd A/T. If there is not I dont see the need to drop the pan and than have to reseal with RTV ran just drain from the plug and refill....but if there is a filter I would like to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well finally broke down and call the dealership....They said there is a filter but it is not supposed to be serviced however rock auto sales one for $12 looks like it is held to the trans by 3 bolts. I will move forward with just a fluide change but seems weird that thier is a filter but the OEM says it doesnt need to be changed

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe its a screen style.. Clean and replace.
the 5spd doesn’t have the same style filter as the 4spd. More than likely you are looking at a 4spd filter. The pan should have magnets on it that catch tiny little metal filingS over time. It’s a good idea to drop the pan and clean all that crud off. You should be doing a drain and fill every time you change your oil. I use synth and go every 10k on both with a KN oil filter. If it has been that long get about 12 qts. Drain fill, measure and replace only what came out, drive it a few miles around town so it does a lot of shifting and then drain measure and refill again, do this until you can drain clean red fluid out and then every 10k thereafter

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You drain and fill, change your transmission fluid every 10k miles???
Yeah, that's crazy! Like using expensive Royal Purple synthetic oil and changing it every 3,500 miles. Who would do that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Holy heck absolutely. The 5 spd especially not having a filter and as cheap as the ATF is and with how easy it is to change the fluid. Why wouldn’t you do it with every oil change? These trannies aren’t all that expensive to replace as far as trannies go but the thing only takes about 2.5qt and a 4 qt jug of Valvoline MaxLife is $18 at Walmart. Why not have super clean tranny fluid all the time?
Royal purple analogy no way haha that stuff even at Walmart is about $8-$10/qt. But even if I was running Amsoil ATF is probably go maybe 30k. I hate having an auto but I had to get one prior to my shoulder surgery and I’m not taking any chances leaving fluid in for 30k + ... that’s craziness to me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts