Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I recently ran into some trouble with my 6 speed automatic transmission. Well my check engine light came on so i was very concerned so i took my 2012 Forte LX to my local KIA dealer. The dealer troubleshoots the code by running a diagnostic and found that my transmission temperature sensor has failed. So they dropped the tranny pan to replace the sensor. Thank gosh all the labor and parts were covered in my powertrain warranty. All is good now. But i was wondering how common of an issue is this problem?? Have any of you guys have the same problem as me?? Thanks for your input guys. Much appreciated:confused:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
turns out the kia tech guy took it for a test drive and said the vehicle was shifting very harsh. Thank god its fixed now

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come on guys. I cant be the only one to experience this problem. Anyone else out there??

·
Registered
46 Posts
I haven't had this exact issue, my koup is automatic and when using the manual shift mode (+/-) sometimes the car would not up shift. I don't know if the problem is because of the shifter itself or the transmission. I was having the shifter installed yesterday but i guess the part sent was already broken so i got sent home (almost) with what i had already leading to my big story of yesterday.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The first time I've heard this issue, but its just a sensor and bound to fail right. No fault of Kia, just random sensor vendor.

The only Sensor issue I've had was a throttle position sensor that went out. I had the check engine light and power was cut in half- really worried me until I found out that it was just a sensor. Parts/labor all covered no problem.

I even had them replace my shifter knob b/c it was prematurely peeling and resurface the steering wheel for the same issue all under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gilsforte77 - You are not alone! Mine is going in on Wednesday for what I believe to be the same issue. Hard shifts into and down from all gears until the car is warmed up. Very jerky shifting. I took it in a while ago when it first happened and I was told (maybe because I'm a woman?) that the jerking was probably my anti-lock breaks and not anything to do with the transmission. I should have insisted right then and there that they look closer at it. It started again the other day and it's gotten worse. Once the car warms up, the shifting is fine. I have the same issues as you did. I'm glad I found this post!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HAPPENED TO ME AGAIN!!! CEL ON. SERVICE DEALER SAYS ITS THE TEMP SENSOR AND HARNESS...SAME PROBLEM AGAIN AT 74,000 MILES. KIA MASTER TECH REPLACES WITH UPDATED PART. APPARENTLY KIA DOES KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM IF THEY HAVE A FIX RIGHT? APPARENTLY WITH THE NEW TRANSMISSION PARTS AND FLUID ITS GONNA TAKE LIKE 20 CYCLES FOR THE TRANNY TO LEARN HOW I DRIVE AGAIN.. HAS THIS PROBLEM HAPPEND TO ANYONE ELSE??? iM SOOO HAPPY THAT THEY COVERED EVERYTHING UNDER KIA 10YR/ 100,000 MILE POWER TRAIN WARRANTY!!!YAY!!!2012 fORTE SEDAN

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
This sensor going bad has been a common issue on multiple KIA and Hyundai models. The reported symptom is abnormal shifting for a short time after a cold start, with the problem going away fairly quickly as the fluid starts to warm up.

However, this is the first time I've read of a replacement sensor failing. Based on what the tech said, it sounds like they used the original sensor on the first replacement job. Perhaps the updated sensor was not yet available when that job was done.

You're fortunate the second repair was covered under powertrain warranty because there have been multiple reports of stealerships denying coverage, saying it's not powertrain. (don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This sensor going bad has been a common issue on multiple KIA and Hyundai models. The reported symptom is abnormal shifting for a short time after a cold start, with the problem going away fairly quickly as the fluid starts to warm up.

However, this is the first time I've read of a replacement sensor failing. Based on what the tech said, it sounds like they used the original sensor on the first replacement job. Perhaps the updated sensor was not yet available when that job was done.

You're fortunate the second repair was covered under powertrain warranty because there have been multiple reports of stealerships denying coverage, saying it's not powertrain. (don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger).

yeah the last time was almost 3 years ago when this problem started. THANKS. IM VERY LUCKY they covered it under warranty. CUZ THE Asst manager almost didnt want to cover the trans harness, but he did when i complained that " i thought i was buying a reliable car" I assume fearing retribution of a negative review on yelp...the service manager cheerfully found a way to get it covered. I was very pleased with my dealer service dEpartment. BUT somehow i think they used the same sensor that they replaced the first time tho....AS STATED ON MY SERVICE WRITE UP...AS FOLLOWS

74296 verified concern and found P0711 trans temp sensor, tested circuits from PCM to trans connector and found no shorts, opens, resistance nor terminal issue, removed cover and inspected harness and found signal circuit terminal spread recommend replacing trans harness to updated part. Replaced main trans harness, clear codes and perform trans adaptive re-learn procedure at this time the vehicle is operating as designed. PLEASE NOTE CUSTOMER TRANS IS STILL RE-LEARNING DRIVING HABITS

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
... inspected harness and found signal circuit terminal spread recommend replacing trans harness to updated part. Replaced main trans harness....
Nothing in there about the trans temp sensor, only the wiring harness. Were there any part numbers listed on that paperwork?

·
Registered
4 Posts

So my question is if it is a sensor issue, is it or is it not suppose to be covered under the 100k miles powertrain warranty?? Mine is acting up (I have 90k miles now) but I haven't brought it in yet and I'd like to be armed with info before I do.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
So my question is if it is a sensor issue, is it or is it not suppose to be covered under the 100k miles powertrain warranty?? Mine is acting up (I have 90k miles now) but I haven't brought it in yet and I'd like to be armed with info before I do.
This problem has been posted far more often on the Hyundai side, and for both Hyundai and Kia there is no consistent, reliable answer to your question. If your stealership doesn't want to cover the repair, you can try opening a case with Kia Corporate, but I have no idea if that will bring any joy. If not, your only recourse would be to take Kia to court, but that's highly unlikely to work out well for you.

But backing up a step, what are the symptoms with your vehicle, and has a P071* trouble code ever been set?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Read your warranty.

The 10-year/100,000 warranty is only on the drivetrain (and only available to the original owner). The "drivetrain" is:

The items covered by the Power Train Limited Warranty include:
- In the Engine: Cylinder block, cylinder head and all internal parts, timing gear, seals and gaskets, valve cover, flywheel, oil pump, water pump.
- In the Transaxle: Transmission case and all internal parts, torque converter, drive shafts, universal joints, front hubs, bearings, seals and gaskets.
- In the Axles: Axle shafts and C-V joints (couplings), seals, hub and wheel bearings.
- In the Transmission: Transmission case, transfer case, torque converter and all internal parts, seals, and gaskets.
- In the Differentials: Front and rear differential assemblies, cases, all internal parts, seals and gaskets.
- In the Propeller Shafts: Drive shafts, universal joints.

As you can see, the sensors are not part of the "drivetrain". They would be covered under the 5-year/60,000 Bumper to Bumper warranty

Reactions: ronbusmc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Read your warranty.

The 10-year/100,000 warranty is only on the drivetrain (and only available to the original owner). The "drivetrain" is:

The items covered by the Power Train Limited Warranty include:
- In the Engine: Cylinder block, cylinder head and all internal parts, timing gear, seals and gaskets, valve cover, flywheel, oil pump, water pump.
- In the Transaxle: Transmission case and all internal parts, torque converter, drive shafts, universal joints, front hubs, bearings, seals and gaskets.
- In the Axles: Axle shafts and C-V joints (couplings), seals, hub and wheel bearings.
- In the Transmission: Transmission case, transfer case, torque converter and all internal parts, seals, and gaskets.
- In the Differentials: Front and rear differential assemblies, cases, all internal parts, seals and gaskets.
- In the Propeller Shafts: Drive shafts, universal joints.

As you can see, the sensors are not part of the "drivetrain". They would be covered under the 5-year/60,000 Bumper to Bumper warranty
But from what I've looked up the sensor IS inside the transmission case?? No?

·
Registered
4 Posts
This problem has been posted far more often on the Hyundai side, and for both Hyundai and Kia there is no consistent, reliable answer to your question. If your stealership doesn't want to cover the repair, you can try opening a case with Kia Corporate, but I have no idea if that will bring any joy. If not, your only recourse would be to take Kia to court, but that's highly unlikely to work out well for you.

But backing up a step, what are the symptoms with your vehicle, and has a P071* trouble code ever been set?
Engine light on, shifting is not as bad as what others have said but it is erratic. Also I had a buddy at a garage check the light with his diagnostic unit and he said it was the tranny sensor but I can't remember the code, I'll stop by on monday and have him check it again.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
But from what I've looked up the sensor IS inside the transmission case?? No?
They mean internal parts such as gears and other mechanical parts, not sensors.

Reactions: ronbusmc

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Engine light on, shifting is not as bad as what others have said but it is erratic. Also I had a buddy at a garage check the light with his diagnostic unit and he said it was the tranny sensor but I can't remember the code, I'll stop by on monday and have him check it again.
The code needs to be a P071* in order for you to have any chance of this being covered under the powertrain warranty. And yes, the sensor and wiring harness are located inside the transmission case, which is the reason it's been covered by some dealer service departments. I'd say it's much more likely they will deny coverage, but IMO it's worth a shot to push it with Kia Corporate.

Your best chance is to use the argument that this has been a systemic issue with Hyundai/Kia, and the automakers had to switch to a different part design (i.e. one piece sensor/harness), in order to resolve the issue. If they still won't budge, tell them you will file a complaint with the NHTSA, and will describe the details of the sensor/harness change. Hyundai/Kia has had LOTS of bad press in the past few years, primarily on the Theta nightmare, and IMO they are likely to cave, in order to avoid yet another bad report.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts