Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey There,
Noobie Here!

I recently purchased a 2011 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6-Spd 274,000Km. I took it to a mechanic before purchase and he green lit it as a good deal for its condition. I bought it as a beater to put a little less wear on my financed vehicle since I've been driving a lot lately.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered its a super fun car to drive!

There's just one problem I've noticed; first gear is very difficult to select while stopped.
Here's what happened when I first noticed it:

I stopped at a red light facing slightly uphill. It's a long light so I shifted into neutral and released the clutch to give my leg a little break and simply held the footbrake. I tried selecting first gear when the light began to turn and the shifter didn't accept the position. I tried again and it moved into position with a fair bit of resistance. While shifting into second after takeoff it resisted me again but far less than before.

I pulled over in a nearby parking lot and parked. I then pressed the clutch in all the way and attempted to move the shifter into first gear and it resisted me again and needed to be "forced" into position. After the shifter accepted the position I could move in and out of the first and second gear positions with the clutch still pressed in, like a knife through butter. After releasing the clutch pedal in neutral and attempting it again. The above scenario happened exactly the same. First resists, then can be moved easily until the next time the clutch is released. I do occasionally feel a little resistance with selecting third and fourth gear as well, but it is not nearly as pronounced.

Anyone experience this issue, or know what the likely culprit is? I got a wicked deal on the car and can spend a little money, however recently things have been much tighter around here, as I'm sure it is for most.

Thanks,
Dylon

EDIT: I should add that I don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge. I possess a basic understanding of maintenance requirements and I'm logical and intelligent enough to do most tasks that don't require specialized tools or diagnostics equipment. If it can be done with just a couple wrenches under an open hood, I can probably get it done.

·
Administrator
582 Posts
All cars do this once in a while but if yours is doing it that frequently there might be an issue.

Any other weird issues? Like popping out of gear, grinding, chattering in neutral, etc?

I would suggest first checking the shifter bushings on top of the tranny under the hood. Mine were completely finished at 240,000KM and replacing them made a world of difference. They're hard to see so you might need to rely more on feel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it.

Any other weird issues? Like popping out of gear, grinding, chattering in neutral, etc?
Popping out of gear, and grinding have both happened but, I'm certain it was driver error. I'm still new to driving a manual transmission and have very little practice. I'm self taught with a little help from YouTube. The grind, I was certain was my fault but I couldn't say for sure since it was during a downshift and I floored the clutch the instant I heard it. When I popped out of gear it was after a downshift into third on the highway and its possible I didn't have the gear properly engaged. It happened very fast cuz I heard the rpm roar way too loud. It's very possible it was just a miss.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I, too think, it is related to the shifter cables, bushings very probable. Not a biggie.
But try this next time, 1st gear won't engage: Back to neutral, release clutch, press clutch, re-engage.
Do NOT force it, that will only exacerbate the shifter cable/bushing problem, or worse, may bend the mechanism inside the gearbox.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Ranger after it hit about 50K miles. Try moving the shifter towards second a little before moving it into first. Fixed my issue, guessing it was wear related.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I, too think, it is related to the shifter cables, bushings very probable. Not a biggie.
But try this next time, 1st gear won't engage: Back to neutral, release clutch, press clutch, re-engage.
Do NOT force it, that will only exacerbate the shifter cable/bushing problem, or worse, may bend the mechanism inside the gearbox.
Thanks for this tip. Force is probably a strong word for what I needed to do, but it was still a far cry from simply sliding into position.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
All cars do this once in a while but if yours is doing it that frequently there might be an issue.

I would suggest first checking the shifter bushings on top of the tranny under the hood. Mine were completely finished at 240,000KM and replacing them made a world of difference. They're hard to see so you might need to rely more on feel.
I need to look at mine. Are those better bought from a kia dealership/website or can I get them from Ebay?

Anthony

·
Administrator
582 Posts
I need to look at mine. Are those better bought from a kia dealership/website or can I get them from Ebay?

Anthony
From the dealer they only come as a complete assembly including the cable. From my research there's only 1 aftermarket company still selling replacement (upgraded/solid) bushings, and that's Torque Solution, which I had used previously so I had no problem trusting their products:

One of my bushings was so loose I could take my fingers and just flap it around in its retainer. No wonder I had a sloppy shifter.

If you want OEM though, you'd have to order the whole assembly (expensivo) or take 'em from a junker I guess.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
From the dealer they only come as a complete assembly including the cable. From my research there's only 1 aftermarket company still selling replacement (upgraded/solid) bushings, and that's Torque Solution, which I had used previously so I had no problem trusting their products:

One of my bushings was so loose I could take my fingers and just flap it around in its retainer. No wonder I had a sloppy shifter.

If you want OEM though, you'd have to order the whole assembly (expensivo) or take 'em from a junker I guess.
Thanks Acura Kal, gonna check torque out.

Anthony

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey There,
Noobie Here!

I recently purchased a 2011 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6-Spd 274,000Km. I took it to a mechanic before purchase and he green lit it as a good deal for its condition. I bought it as a beater to put a little less wear on my financed vehicle since I've been driving a lot lately.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered its a super fun car to drive!

There's just one problem I've noticed; first gear is very difficult to select while stopped.
Here's what happened when I first noticed it:

I stopped at a red light facing slightly uphill. It's a long light so I shifted into neutral and released the clutch to give my leg a little break and simply held the footbrake. I tried selecting first gear when the light began to turn and the shifter didn't accept the position. I tried again and it moved into position with a fair bit of resistance. While shifting into second after takeoff it resisted me again but far less than before.

I pulled over in a nearby parking lot and parked. I then pressed the clutch in all the way and attempted to move the shifter into first gear and it resisted me again and needed to be "forced" into position. After the shifter accepted the position I could move in and out of the first and second gear positions with the clutch still pressed in, like a knife through butter. After releasing the clutch pedal in neutral and attempting it again. The above scenario happened exactly the same. First resists, then can be moved easily until the next time the clutch is released. I do occasionally feel a little resistance with selecting third and fourth gear as well, but it is not nearly as pronounced.

Anyone experience this issue, or know what the likely culprit is? I got a wicked deal on the car and can spend a little money, however recently things have been much tighter around here, as I'm sure it is for most.

Thanks,
Dylon

EDIT: I should add that I don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge. I possess a basic understanding of maintenance requirements and I'm logical and intelligent enough to do most tasks that don't require specialized tools or diagnostics equipment. If it can be done with just a couple wrenches under an open hood, I can probably get it done.
Interesting. I have similar issue on my newly purchased 2021 Forte GT 6 SP. The car is perfect in every way, except maybe once out of every 5 to 7 times, it doesn't easily slide into first gear. I've been a manual driver all my life and I know it happens from time to time on all cars, but it's noticeably happening more frequently on this car. And of course, it always seems to happen when I'm in the middle of the intersection turning left, hehe.

Usually, disengaging the clutch real quick would quickly solve the issue with other cars I've had in the past, but it doesn't seem to work as readily on this car. Will see how it goes... hopefully it either gets better or worse. Right now, it's at a stage where it's not really enough of a problem to take back to the dealer. But if I do take it back right now, it'll probably start "behaving" properly and I'll have wasted my time.

Every other gear can be engaged smooth as butter though and the friction point on this car is as easy as it gets and I'm loving this car in every other way.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Interesting. I have similar issue on my newly purchased 2021 Forte GT 6 SP. The car is perfect in every way, except maybe once out of every 5 to 7 times, it doesn't easily slide into first gear. I've been a manual driver all my life and I know it happens from time to time on all cars, but it's noticeably happening more frequently on this car. And of course, it always seems to happen when I'm in the middle of the intersection turning left, hehe.

Usually, disengaging the clutch real quick would quickly solve the issue with other cars I've had in the past, but it doesn't seem to work as readily on this car. Will see how it goes... hopefully it either gets better or worse. Right now, it's at a stage where it's not really enough of a problem to take back to the dealer. But if I do take it back right now, it'll probably start "behaving" properly and I'll have wasted my time.

Every other gear can be engaged smooth as butter though and the friction point on this car is as easy as it gets and I'm loving this car in every other way.
That might be because the car isn't broken in yet. If persists, I'd ask the service manager to have the cables adjusted. Usually, they come really good from factory, but not always, and when they prepare the car for customer, they'd realize if it's off, but as in your case, where it is only every so often, they may not have had that situation. Hope it settles in and no action is needed.

Reactions: TK421NotAtPost
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.