Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure but the botton from my keyless remote must be getting hit when putting in pocket the last couple days I have come out the trunk lid has been up. Anyone having this problem? Looking at changing the the keyless remote system and installing a alarm. I thought this was an alarm too already installed but after having a hit a run on my car found out it was not when it did no alarm sound. Anyone have any suggestion on what alarm system I should purchase? Thank you

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
This has happened about 6 times in the time I have had my car. I was gonna rig the trunk with a bungee cord so it would open all the way when I hit the trunk button, but to many accidental openings discouraged me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
This used to happen in my old car. I unplugged the electronic switch. You can still open it from the floor lever and with a key but not remotely.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Try using your second key FOB and see if it continues...as for the alarm...what is the purpose of that besides making an annoying sound? I hope you don't think it will actually prevent a criminal from doing anything.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
ya as soon as they break the window, there's really no turning back. they might only grab and go since its alerting the owner vs taking their time w/o an alarm but there's really no way of preventing a break in. i was going to get an alarm but figured it was just a waste of money so i bought a camera that sits in the corner of my window to watch my car at night

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have come across this problem a few times as well. I noticed that whenever there is another KIA around I will get the this. I was once at the KIA dealership looking at the 2011 Koups and the guys there tried to unlock the Koup's on display for me to have a look. Next thing I know when I went to the parking my trunk was open. I think there could be a transmitter overlapping or something similar.. am not into electronics at all. But its definitely interference with other FOB remotes...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
This has happened about 6 times in the time I have had my car. I was gonna rig the trunk with a bungee cord so it would open all the way when I hit the trunk button, but to many accidental openings discouraged me.
one day i did that bungee cord set up. the second day, the trunk was all the way up after i went shopping. i took them off immediately.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Anybody know if they can change the transmitter frequency for the car?

We found my wife's sedan's trunk open so many times I disconnected it (I think someone's garage door opener is close to the same frequency as her car's). Neither my Koup or my Daughter's Koup has the trunk opening-by-itself problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This used to happen in my old car. I unplugged the electronic switch. You can still open it from the floor lever and with a key but not remotely.
Thank you for your suggestion of disconnecting the electronic switch, I have the same problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure but the botton from my keyless remote must be getting hit when putting in pocket the last couple days I have come out the trunk lid has been up. Anyone having this problem? Looking at changing the the keyless remote system and installing a alarm. I thought this was an alarm too already installed but after having a hit a run on my car found out it was not when it did no alarm sound. Anyone have any suggestion on what alarm system I should purchase? Thank you
Hi! I was wondering did you ever figured out the problem with your vehicle? I have a Kia Optima 2012 EX and for about a week now my trunk opens on its own like every two minutes. I will go outside and close it and then come in and go right back out to check on it and it's open again. I tried calling the Kia dealership but they weren't able to tell me anything. I haven't driven my vehicle since this has started so my key fob is hanging on a keyring thing. Last night, I went to look in my car for something and the battery was dead and I had to jump it off. Please Help!!!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Do you have a fobs or smart-keys? (the are different)

First thing I would do is remove the batteries from the 2 fobs or smart-keys and see if the problems still happens. If the problem goes away then the fobs/smart-key are the problem.

If it continues to happen, take the car somewhere else (parents home, girlfriends house, the mall, whatever) far from home and see if the problem happens there. If it goes away then there might be something in your neighborhood that has a similar signal causing the problem. (another Hyundai/Kia remote, a garage door opener, etc)

If it continues to happen away from home then you might want to disconnect the wiring to the latch mechanism so it doesn't open the trunk. You can still get in the trunk with the manual lever in the footwell of the drivers seat.

Do some investigation and get back to us with your findings.

Reactions: Acura_Kal
1 - 17 of 17 Posts