Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here

Just wondering if there's a tutorial for a DIY oil change for a 2019 KIA Forte LXS?

I found some older one's DIY Oil Change however I think the newer Forte's make it harder to do the oil changes because there's some under panels I need to remove and I'm not sure which one's? Was wondering if anyone could kindly point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
72 Posts
You don't have to take anything off other than the oil drain plug and oil filter. Kia has holes in the undertray to access these.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
If it has the plastic "skid plate" like my 17, the access panels for the filter and drain plug are clearly marked. Remove them and have at it. It's a simple job. So simple, even a caveman could do it! LOL

·
Registered
2019 Forte FE
73 Posts
Yeah you don't have to remove any panels. Best to have a "socket type" oil filter wrench to access the filter with a ratchet & extension. I also suggest using a sharp ice pick or similar to poke a hole in the bottom of the filter before removing it to let it drain. I didn't do that on my 1st change (2019 FE) and the filter tipped as I removed it, pouring oil all over the inside of the bottom panel, which I then DID HAVE TO REMOVE (doable) to clean it!

·
Super Moderator
199 Posts
I also suggest using a sharp ice pick or similar to poke a hole in the bottom of the filter before removing it to let it drain. I didn't do that on my 1st change (2019 FE) and the filter tipped as I removed it
I wouldn't really recommend hitting your filter with anything while it's still on the car. I guess it wouldn't do damage but just doesn't seem like the best idea.

The wrench should be used to crack it free and then loosened and removed by hand.

·
Registered
2019 Forte FE
73 Posts
I wouldn't really recommend hitting your filter with anything while it's still on the car. I guess it wouldn't do damage but just doesn't seem like the best idea.

The wrench should be used to crack it free and then loosened and removed by hand.
It's not a matter of "hitting" the filter, you're merely punching a small hole to allow the oil to drain. Commonly done on trucks with large capacity filters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts