Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I mentioned this in a different post but thought it might fit better here.
I have a 2.0L Koup that I love. I've notice though that passing between 4000-4500 rpm that there is some sort of metal clattering, but it disappears either side of those rpms. I'm trying to eliminate possibilities and I noticed that on the back side of the block there is an aluminum cover for what I believe is the exhaust manifold. This cover is a loose fit, and I'm thinking if I were to put some type of heat resistant shim (rubber?) in a few spots around the cover this might help.

I know this is a bit specific but has anybody noticed this or have any opinions on whether this might be harmful? Am I wrong in thinking this is just a cover?

I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about tomorrow when its daylight out.

-H

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have the same noise but mine is only when the engine is cold and goes away after a minute or two...I went to the dealer regarding this and they said it's a characteristic of the car and there's nothing to worry about. His exact words: "you've got plenty of warranty, don't worry about it." so he makes a point cuz if there is something wrong then it will be taken care of for free but if your hearing the same noise I am then it's a "characteristic" of the car. If there's a solution to get rid of the noise altogether then I'm more then ready to do it! Any suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Folks,

I have a 2.0L Koup that I love. I've notice though that passing between 4000-4500 rpm that there is some sort of metal clattering, but it disappears either side of those rpms. I'm trying to eliminate possibilities and I noticed that on the back side of the block there is an aluminum cover for what I believe is the exhaust manifold. This cover is a loose fit, and I'm thinking if I were to put some type of heat resistant shim (rubber?) in a few spots around the cover this might help.

I know this is a bit specific but has anybody noticed this or have any opinions on whether this might be harmful? Am I wrong in thinking this is just a cover?

-H
If you mean that flexible alum shroud at the top rear with the o2 sensor coming out of it, just try flexing it a little instead of putting in shims. But my guess is if that lightweight piece is rubbing anywhere, it would make more of a buzzing sound. The rattling is more likely to come from a heavier heat shield, such as around the downpipe or cat...or an exhaust support point.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the same noise but mine is only when the engine is cold and goes away after a minute or two...I went to the dealer regarding this and they said it's a characteristic of the car and there's nothing to worry about. His exact words: "you've got plenty of warranty, don't worry about it." so he makes a point cuz if there is something wrong then it will be taken care of for free but if your hearing the same noise I am then it's a "characteristic" of the car. If there's a solution to get rid of the noise altogether then I'm more then ready to do it! Any suggestions anyone?
You mean at cold idle? If so, my 2.0 has that noise too and it goes away after several seconds. It's heard when the fast idle speed first begins to drop down on a cold start. Gotta either be a noisy pully or VVT, IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the noise only happens on the way up through the gears, so it will start around 4000-4200 rpm and stop around 4500-4700 rpm. I have been lucky and haven't had any of the clicking/tapping/clatter noises at idol that I've seen questions about (maybe due to being in a very warm climate?). Sorry to say ShaksForteSX that I think we might have different issues, but I am certainly far from an expert. I'm just being picky:p

If you mean that flexible alum shroud at the top rear with the o2 sensor coming out of it, just try flexing it a little instead of putting in shims. But my guess is if that lightweight piece is rubbing anywhere, it would make more of a buzzing sound. The rattling is more likely to come from a heavier heat shield, such as around the downpipe or cat...or an exhaust support point.
Thanks Silver2010, I will check the cat and downpipe tomorrow, it is so hard to describe these metallic sounds, but I would rank it as a buzz or a very fast light rattle... lol. I'm going through the engine bay and trying to find any other shields/stuff that might be loose and causing the noise, but when I go into the dealer next I am planning on getting them to tighten up one of the bolts on the manifold shield because it is a bit loose. If that doesn't do the trick I may try a second washer on the loose side. Either way I'll be under my car tomorrow checking things out! lol

-H

·
Registered
243 Posts
Actually the noise only happens on the way up through the gears, so it will start around 4000-4200 rpm and stop around 4500-4700 rpm. I have been lucky and haven't had any of the clicking/tapping/clatter noises at idol that I've seen questions about (maybe due to being in a very warm climate?). Sorry to say ShaksForteSX that I think we might have different issues, but I am certainly far from an expert. I'm just being picky:p

Thanks Silver2010, I will check the cat and downpipe tomorrow, it is so hard to describe these metallic sounds, but I would rank it as a buzz or a very fast light rattle... lol. I'm going through the engine bay and trying to find any other shields/stuff that might be loose and causing the noise, but when I go into the dealer next I am planning on getting them to tighten up one of the bolts on the manifold shield because it is a bit loose. If that doesn't do the trick I may try a second washer on the loose side. Either way I'll be under my car tomorrow checking things out! lol

-H
Okay, a buzz or fast rattle is definitely resonance related, meaning that you're right in assuming that something is vibrating or rubbing at that RPM.

So, you're saying that one of the bolts on that thin aluminum heat shield on top of the exhaust manifold is loose? That is most likely the source of the noise, especially since you said earlier that you had isolated it to that area. Why not just tighten that bolt yourself? It's probably a small 10mm bolt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks,

-H
I have the same vibration noise. Yesterday I noticed that the aluminum heat shield is loose, I believe it's the exhaust manifold shield. I was thinking of getting some felt washers to put on both sides of the bolt holes that hold the shield in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts