Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my boredom I decided to look around turbo kits website to see if they have done any 2.4L turbo kits already and guess what!!! someone has!!!
TurboKits.com Scion tC Turbo Kits & More - 2AZFE

looking at those numbers made me :D

I can only hope and wish to see those results for our fortes!

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
So in my boredom I decided to look around turbo kits website to see if they have done any 2.4L turbo kits already and guess what!!! someone has!!!
TurboKits.com Scion tC Turbo Kits & More - 2AZFE

looking at those numbers made me :D

I can only hope and wish to see those results for our fortes!
Well you don't have to look very far!
Caliber use about the same engine in it's SRT4 version
About 280 HP and 265 lbs torque....
Don't expecte more than 250 HP with an aftermarket kit withot internal change!

·
Registered
708 Posts

1st it's torque that breaks engines..

2nd .. no one knows how hearty kia made the internals.. if someone can get a spec sheet of the build materials that should help..

3rd look at my sig.. my engine and tranny are totally stock.. there are alot of cars that can handle some hefty boost .. it really all depends on what the company did inside

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well About 250 is what I was thinking or the most I thought could happen. I have read several threads on other sites about how much stock internals can handle and there is a HUGE debate. One thing I did find in common on most of the nitro/turbo/supercharger sites was not to go over 20 HP increase per cylinder on stock internals so when I saw they almost doubled that of the TC on stock internals (and it said that right on the link) I was a little shocked. I would hope that since KIA has let the cat out of the bag about next year's model coming with a turbo version pushing 280ish BHP that our internals are the same as it. Which puts the WHP number closer to your expectations of 250ish safely. I said on the original KIA forums site when I first got this car that 6 pounds of boost and about 250 WHP would be all that I could hope for. Looks like I might get my wish... or at least it looks more promising.

·
Registered
178 Posts
well About 250 is what I was thinking or the most I thought could happen. I have read several threads on other sites about how much stock internals can handle and there is a HUGE debate. One thing I did find in common on most of the nitro/turbo/supercharger sites was not to go over 20 HP increase per cylinder on stock internals so when I saw they almost doubled that of the TC on stock internals (and it said that right on the link) I was a little shocked. I would hope that since KIA has let the cat out of the bag about next year's model coming with a turbo version pushing 280ish BHP that our internals are the same as it. Which puts the WHP number closer to your expectations of 250ish safely. I said on the original KIA forums site when I first got this car that 6 pounds of boost and about 250 WHP would be all that I could hope for. Looks like I might get my wish... or at least it looks more promising.

any ideas on what the compression is on the turbo charged one???cause that also effects what you can push through stock internals.....i know that the motor that im getting for my 240sx project is the stock KA24de, which is a dual over head cam 2.4L engine and stock it comes with 160ish hp and 150 ish hp....and you can push 300-350hp on stock internals..many people have done it...not idk bout the 2.4 in our cars, it has a pretty high compression ratio but you should be able to get 250-280hp outta it on a safe tune and the correct fuel and ignition management...

·
Registered
708 Posts
any ideas on what the compression is on the turbo charged one???cause that also effects what you can push through stock internals.....i know that the motor that im getting for my 240sx project is the stock KA24de, which is a dual over head cam 2.4L engine and stock it comes with 160ish hp and 150 ish hp....and you can push 300-350hp on stock internals..many people have done it...not idk bout the 2.4 in our cars, it has a pretty high compression ratio but you should be able to get 250-280hp outta it on a safe tune and the correct fuel and ignition management...
this .. you can blow your engine on 2 psi with a tdo4 if you have a shitty tune.. and you can make your engine live well past what it should with a good one

·
Registered
973 Posts
I don't plan on turboing this car without at least getting new heads, and whatever else I can get to help lower the compression.
Compression is WAY too high to turbocharge these engines and still run pump gas, we could keep it 10.5 (as is) and push 8 or 10psi if we ran e85, but I don't plan on doing that.
And, for the 2.0 people here, at least, you should look at the new mitsu evo X for some numbers as to what we might be able to pull if we can lower the compression to about 8.5
4b11t is almost exactly the same as a theta engine, probably has different internals, and it has lower compression ratio because it is turbocharged...
300hp sounds real nice right now

·
Registered
51 Posts
250whp will make this car quick for sure.

I had a 1998 2.0L Jetta which I turbo'd to 218whp and 265ft-lbs. With a quaiffe LSD in the tranny, the thing was a tire roaster. That is about ~130hp more than stock, on a stock motor! It was turboed for 80,000KM's and never a problem!! I eventually sold it and its still running today. I'd have to say it was because of an awesome tune I had.

I would be happy with 240whp in this thing and an LSD. Would be a absolute hoot, and probably hit high mid 13's with some good tires. But again, this all depends on what inside this thing and how the strong the pistons/rods are. Head's really aren't usually an issue unless you're trying to squeek more HP through.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I don't plan on turboing this car without at least getting new heads, and whatever else I can get to help lower the compression.
Compression is WAY too high to turbocharge these engines and still run pump gas, we could keep it 10.5 (as is) and push 8 or 10psi if we ran e85, but I don't plan on doing that.
And, for the 2.0 people here, at least, you should look at the new mitsu evo X for some numbers as to what we might be able to pull if we can lower the compression to about 8.5
4b11t is almost exactly the same as a theta engine, probably has different internals, and it has lower compression ratio because it is turbocharged...
300hp sounds real nice right now
theta has cheaper pistons and rods
it is, however, the theta 2.0 that is in the turbo genesis, which runs about 210 stock, so it might be safe to say the 2.4 would run about 230ish
I plan on replacing some internals in prep for turboing it anyway, as soon as I can find the parts and such

in extreme anticipation for the turbo kit!
\and I was talking about heads more as a way of lowering compression, ideally to around 8.5:1 so we could run 8 to 10 psi, which is what I'm shooting for
but yeah, all that said, a good tune is probably the most important part of a setup like what were hoping for, and I'm glad to say I've got my people picked out already. My friend Nigel tuned My friend's Corolla S, running 10psi, to almost 320 WHP, it's really completely mind-blowing. He's been driving it daily like that for about 6 months and there hasn't been a single problem. TRD emailed Nigel to ask how he got that much horsepower out of it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts