Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never known much about cars despite a large interest. I'm trying to change that. So, I have a few questions for you forum lurkers.

-Would you prefer a Turbocharger or a Supercharger for your Forte?
-Why do you think your choice is better?
-Are they really that different?
-I've heard that Supercharger is better for a auto transmission than a turbo. Is this true? If so, why?

Interested to see what you guys have to say.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Twincharging! lol
I'd love to twin charge it honestly, but I have to go with turbocharger. A small turbocharger, so it doesn't take long to spool up, we wont be running a lot of boost on stock internals anyway, our compression ratio isn't ideal for a boosted car. We stand to make some serious power off of lower boost with higher compression, but normally ideal power is made from low compression (8 or 9 to 1 ratio) and high boost. But yeah, my ideal setup would be a smaller twin scrolling turbocharger, water to air intercooled (and thats what I'm going to be shooting for when I start really working on this car=]

Hoping to make about 250 whp on 8 psi (peak at 10) with exhaust, turbo setup, ceramic coating, lightweight pulleys, and a good tune (I've got the tuner picked out already of course, friend who is an automotive genius)
hope its pretty realistic expectations for the 2.0=]

·
Registered
459 Posts
The reason they say the SC is better for an ATX is the constant powerband. Whereas with a Turbo you get the nice kick of power around 3000 or higher depending upon the setup.

But either way, unless the transmission is built for power it won't told up very long. Just for an example a first GEN Mazda 3 SC'd 200 WHP is all the ATX is good for.

Until someone tries it you won't really know what the Forte can take.

·
Registered
202 Posts
TURBOCHARGE!!! ALL THE WAY!! LOL i LIKE TURBO CHARGE, i HAD AN INTEGRA WITH A TURBO AND DAMN IT'S FUN, i LIKE THE WAY A TURBO PULLS YOU

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having owned supercharged and turbo'd 4cyl cars....there are good and bads with both. Turbos offer more components that you can upgrade and increase power. You have the turbo itself, better piping, intercooler, bov/bpv, etc. Where as with a supercharger, the only thing you can do is upgrade the supercharger or get a smaller pulley. The good thing about turbos, is also the weakness...number of components. The more components you have, the more likely you are to have a problem. Turbos are finicky and the boost can be erratic. With a supercharger, your boost is always constant with your engine rpms, and simply more reliable.

Sorry for the lengthy response.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts