Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what kind of filter i should get? I wanna get two filters, but don't know which one it is to fit onto my CAI?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Are you saying you have the TK CAI? Or you wanna get it? Theres really no point to a dual air intake other than looks (I could explain but it would take a while to go into detail)

Honestly, I would just stick with the kit from Turbo Kits (TK) which comes with a filter.

NOW, if youre talking about having just a single CAI but with 2 filters on it then I would suggest looking into a pre-filter. Pre-filters go over the original filter cone to help filter out more junk.

Wasnt sure what exactly youre talkin about so I just touched bases on all different angles :) hope it helps!

·
Banned
203 Posts
livereckless, could you explain why a dual isnt worth it? i was thinking about making one like a guy on here, mainly because i thought you were putting more air into it? thanks

·
Registered
769 Posts
It WILL make it easier for the engine to pull in air BUT depending on where you place the 2 filters you wont have a CAI. If you place one filter where the TK CAI normally sits (behind the fog light on the drivers side) and the other say, where the factory air box was, then you will be pulling cooler air (from behind the fog light) AND warmer air (from the middle of the engine bay) which completely defeats the purpose of a CAI (which is to increase performance AND mpg)

However, with a warm air intake (which is equivalent to the top filter that replaces the airbox), you would get a boost in mpg and MAYBE a slight boost in hp.

My opinion is that any kind of intake modifications should increase hp AND mpg which logically would be cooler air intake.

Also, with ANY less restrictive intake system you lose torque, im not entirely sure but it seems as if with a dual air intake that you would lose more torque than you would with a single air intake. In any case, there are tunings available to fix the torque loss BUT you lose a SLIGHT bit of hp.

All of this is a mix of facts and my opinion, what you wanna do is what you wanna do. My personal task is just to make you think and decide based on the facts :)

Hope I didnt cause any confusion, I feel like I kind of rambled through that.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that the factory airbox serves as a cooling system for the car's ECU, and thats one thing that you DONT want to have overheat and shut down! lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha i meant just the filter.. I want two just for a backup one. Do i have to order the filter from tubrokits or what?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
haha i meant just the filter.. I want two just for a backup one. Do i have to order the filter from tubrokits or what?
It's a branded K&N filter that they use. You can just send them an e-mail asking the part number. They have good support, so should respond quickly. You can also bring in your TK filter to a parts shop to match it. Any 3" ID cone filter will fit on the tube, it is the area that the filter sits that states what size you need to fit in your car. I believe it is one of the smallest 3" ID filters that K&N carries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts