Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased and installed my turbokits CAI a couple weeks ago. I really like the performance and sound.
I drove through a big rain storm on my home yesterday and decided to take a look to see if there was any water getting near the filter. When I looked under the hood I could see water on the pre-filter and water all around in the area the filter sits. So now I am having second thoughts on my purchase. Should I be concerned about it? I am thinking of reverting to the factory intake or installed an SRI. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you saw water on the pre-fliter, then it's doing it's job, keeping water away from your filter.

Also, your filter needs to be submerged for it to do any damage to your internals. The engine's internals are exposed to moisture from normal combustion anyways, so a few drops of water through the intake isn't going to change anything.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
dont scare me now. lol.. bought the TK cai 3 weeks ago. never drove through rain yet.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Not to scare anyone (too late) but there is a possibility of getting water in the engine by the TK CAI (due to the fact that the filter sits low, same goes for the INJEN CAI). This is not an attack on Turbo Kits or their products (I would personally buy a CAI from them if I had money) but a member in this forum did loose their engine when he drove in a deep puddle. NOW, this was probably a worst case scenario where the water reached the level of the filter (the driver mis-calculated the depth of the puddle) and sucked it right in. So the lesson learned is not to drive in big puddles of water.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yea I've driven in some bad rain storms and have hit invisible huge puddles at decent speed and havent had a problem. I believe that u have to be up to your fog lights (or where they would be on an EX) for it to suck in water.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did think about the fact that the pre-filter was doing it's job...but not sure if I want to let a 20 dollar part be the basis for my engine breaking. The storm was a typical afternoon summer thunderstorm and I do not want to be nervous about driving my car everyday.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I may order a prefilter before I install my CAI. Can't hurt to add that protection.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Crap! We could have gotten a free one!

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Maybe I'll have a surprise when I get mine in tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I'm gonna holdoff on a CAI till a kit with a bypass valve hits the market. The pre-filter does not offer the protection a bypass valve does, and hydrolocking does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling...

·
Registered
205 Posts
mine also came in with the special BLACK EDITION!
i did test out the pre filter with water ALOT OF WATER!.
the only way it broke through the filter is if dunked it water for more than like 3 seconds.
other than that i would splash water to it different ways and it would just roll off. so i think the filter works very well unless some how its in a puddle for very long which I dont think thatl ever happen since it doesnt even touch the ground

·
Registered
524 Posts
or your in a consistent flood zone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts