Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we have an idea when this may see the light of day? I'm looking into getting a turbo done ASAP, and I'm trying to decide between waiting for a set-kit or having one custom done.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would wait for turbokits to do their kit, it takes alot of time with tuning and getting everything just right so that its "plug and play"

why not wait till its absolutely perfect before putting it on your car?

BW

·
Registered
708 Posts
the hardest thing about turboing any car is 1 knowing what they can take and 2 tuning.. and those are tied and the problem now is people don't know either so it's dangerous to venture by yourself .. at least if you have one or the other (prefereably both) you can know how much you can do and size things accordingly

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have turbo'd nearly every car I've ever owned... the process isn't new to me. What I want to know is how long it's going to take TurboKits.com to get one built. If it's going to be a while I'll just have one custom done and start trial/tuning.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
maybe ready by next summer maybe sooner depends

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have turbo'd nearly every car I've ever owned... the process isn't new to me. What I want to know is how long it's going to take TurboKits.com to get one built. If it's going to be a while I'll just have one custom done and start trial/tuning.
it doesn't matter if you've turboed every car you've owned.. you of all people then should know theres alot of things to take into account.. how many cars have you turboed that haven't already had some sort of turbo kit or something?

personally i'd say wait till phoaroh koup dynos with his nitrous so you at least know that will hold. i'm not trying to be a dick but seriously turbokits has made it clear its going to be a bit.. hell a well thought out and developed kit will take at the very least 6 months so that way they know everything will hold up and such.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it doesn't matter if you've turboed every car you've owned.. you of all people then should know theres alot of things to take into account.. how many cars have you turboed that haven't already had some sort of turbo kit or something?

personally i'd say wait till phoaroh koup dynos with his nitrous so you at least know that will hold. i'm not trying to be a dick but seriously turbokits has made it clear its going to be a bit.. hell a well thought out and developed kit will take at the very least 6 months so that way they know everything will hold up and such.
In reality, it's not that complicated assuming it's done properly. People have a bit of a stigma toward boosting a NA car simply because of the hysteria that exists around it. Hundreds of dopey people have half-assed it, resulting in blown motors and people proclaiming "aaaah, it's complicated".

No, it's not. The process is simple:

1) Find reputable tuning shop to work with.

2) Lay out specs for car and what outcomes are desired.

3) Purchase necessary equipment (turbo, BOV, IC, injectors, engine management, etc.)

4) Custom machine manifold and other hardware required to physically mount turbo + associated piping.

5) Install engine management.

6) Tune for desired boost levels and octane available.

7) Dyno-tune continuously to ensure appropriate air/fuel levels, knock (or lack of), etc.

8) Profit?

The only components I'd be concerned about would be the clutch and transmission, since those are currently unexplored. People forget the 2.4L is also found in the SRT-4 (not identical, but similar).

For me, it's a cost factor. If I can have it done properly myself this year for $6,000 or less I'll do it. Otherwise, I'll wait for someone to have a set-top kit. I figured since TurboKits is a sponsor they'd be able to provide an answer, but as of yet they have not posted in this thread. I'll take the estimate of "next summer" as what we know.

Keep in mind that TurboKits (and other kit manufacturers) have constraints that individual tuners do not. They have to build a "plug and play" kit, whereas mine only has to work with my car. In that sense, I can have something set up that is much more time efficient by comparison.

My power goals are quite achievable: I only want the Forte to have the 225whp that it SHOULD have had leaving the factory. A GT28RS should be more than capable of doing this. As well, if there's room in the engine bay, I'll be using a side mount intercooler as opposed to a front mount so I can maintain the stealth look. All this assumes that I decide to have a custom kit created. If that's the case, I'll do a full write-up of the process here.

I love voiding warranties ;)

PS - One of the projects I'm particularly proud of was a 1996 Ford Taurus V6 that we turbo'd. The car itself was a joke, but strapping on an extra 45whp was pretty hilarious. That little jelly bean flew!

·
Registered
708 Posts
you can do a fmic and pain it heat dispersion black you can find it at home depot and such.. it's what i did .. people have no idea I have a FMIC ..

the thing is though the srt4 has a "similar " world engine no one has an idea of construction of the internals .. for instance all the ecotec motors are the same block.. different heads and different bores and strokes (basically the same setup as the world engine) but the 2.2 have powder metal rods and can't handle over 250 wtrq while the 2.4 and 2.0 can run up to 400+ whp and dd it no problem.

so just because they're similar doesn't mean ANYTHING inside is the same

i'm just saying before you jump headlong into it .. just make sure ..

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you can do a fmic and pain it heat dispersion black you can find it at home depot and such.. it's what i did .. people have no idea I have a FMIC ..

the thing is though the srt4 has a "similar " world engine no one has an idea of construction of the internals .. for instance all the ecotec motors are the same block.. different heads and different bores and strokes (basically the same setup as the world engine) but the 2.2 have powder metal rods and can't handle over 250 wtrq while the 2.4 and 2.0 can run up to 400+ whp and dd it no problem.

so just because they're similar doesn't mean ANYTHING inside is the same

i'm just saying before you jump headlong into it .. just make sure ..
If you want to make an omelette, you gotta crack some eggs :) I haven't done *anything* yet, but I just got a big tax refund ($4,600!!!!) so now I'm REALLY itching.

Try sending a private message to TurboKits or go to TurboKits.com and send them an email or give them a call if you can.

Strictly out of curiosity, what's the hurry (if you don't mind me asking)?
The hurry? This car SHOULD have had AT LEAST 200HP. I understand that it didn't for pricing concerns (etc. etc.), but the styling and driving dynamics suggest that 200HP+ would have been a real riot in this car. I didn't buy the car because it was cheap, I bought it because it was fully loaded, gorgeous, and had everything I needed. The aftermarket should be able to provide the extra "oomph" I'm looking for.

Plus, I live 5,500 feet above sea level... adding things like intakes/headers/exhausts don't do much thanks to how thing the air is. A turbo is a more much practical mod here. If I could have 200whp for the summer months thatd be a hoot!

·
Registered
487 Posts
based on the dyno's I have seen so far I would guess I am running about 210-215 to the wheels while I am on the bottle. I will get around to dyno at some point. With work and honey-do spring lists its low on my priority list. Once I get rid of the generic spectre intake and put the Turbokits intake I would guess to be around 220 ish maybe 230 with thier exhaust. But again Im just guessing based off teh stock dyno's I am seeing. I may bump up to the 75 shot for one dyno run for kicks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you want to make an omelette, you gotta crack some eggs :) I haven't done *anything* yet, but I just got a big tax refund ($4,600!!!!) so now I'm REALLY itching.

The hurry? This car SHOULD have had AT LEAST 200HP. I understand that it didn't for pricing concerns (etc. etc.), but the styling and driving dynamics suggest that 200HP+ would have been a real riot in this car. I didn't buy the car because it was cheap, I bought it because it was fully loaded, gorgeous, and had everything I needed. The aftermarket should be able to provide the extra "oomph" I'm looking for.

Plus, I live 5,500 feet above sea level... adding things like intakes/headers/exhausts don't do much thanks to how thing the air is. A turbo is a more much practical mod here. If I could have 200whp for the summer months thatd be a hoot!

ahh yea a 4600 refund would kill me as well.. thats a ported / built head for me lol and then money to pay off all my bills lol and then some

well if you want help with anything let me know I'm always up for something new..

i wish you were closer to me I have some small shops that would LOVE to do the work on a forte

·
Registered
130 Posts
did anyone forget that there isn't any engine management for this car yet. I think turbo'n that thing will be much more than $4600. You have a lot of fabing and ecu to think about.

·
Registered
708 Posts
did anyone forget that there isn't any engine management for this car yet. I think turbo'n that thing will be much more than $4600. You have a lot of fabing and ecu to think about.

theres always engine management if you wanna go with a standalone/ piggyback

and yes you could EASILY make a turbo kit for 4600 or less really what it comes down to is research.. once you get the manifold .. you have to figure out turbo size. (i recommend a 2860rs) or a s252 FMIC and piping are easy,and the downpipe just requires and elbow or a full downpipe which any good performance shop can do

honestly though i'm hoping your ECM code matches with the srt4, evo, ralliart, genisis or something so you can get someone to crack your ecm asap

·
Registered
487 Posts
To be honest if I had that sort of money to blow I would look heavy at the turbo setup for the Scion TC this car has been turbo'd for a while now. It hase a 2.4L version I have seen compresion ratios reported at 9.6:1 and 9.8:1 so it isnt to far off. Turbo kits has a kit that is using 8 pounds of boost and getting 300 whp on stock internals. If I was a hard core do it yourselfer I think that kit would be my starting point but without engine management I wouldnt even consider it. Might be something for you to consider...

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
honestly though i'm hoping your ECM code matches with the srt4, evo, ralliart, genisis or something so you can get someone to crack your ecm asap
No sure we will have somethimg soon!!! Here's an anwser from RRM about engine management/ecu flash....
WE are working ti but not going forward with it till we see better
sales in the KIA market. SPread the word to get guys buying RRM parts.
If not then we will likely drop our whole lineup of KIA parts. Thanks
RRM
:(

Hope TurboKit won't let go too

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can get a manifold fabbed for about $1,200 (talked to a machinist yesterday). Already have a "disco potato" I can put on it. All I need is the flange to make it fit.

As far as engine management, going stand-alone is the only real acceptable route as far as I'm concerned.

In regards to RRM, what do they expect? The Forte Koup has been out for less than a year. Give it a year or two and the sales will be there. A fully loaded car for ~20k? You know it's going to sell well.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
In regards to RRM, what do they expect? The Forte Koup has been out for less than a year. Give it a year or two and the sales will be there. A fully loaded car for ~20k? You know it's going to sell well.
I don't think they talk about Kia car but their Kia stuff: lightweight pulley, SRI, strut bar etc....

Care to tell witch standalone you're looking??

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think they talk about Kia car but their Kia stuff: lightweight pulley, SRI, strut bar etc....

Care to tell witch standalone you're looking??
Going to use emanage I think.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts