Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/kiashortshifters/kiaforteshortshifters.htm

I was contacted a few days ago by TWM to be a tester for their Forte/Koup 6sp short shifter kit.

The deal was sealed on January 12th, they mailed the package the next day and UPS was here to deliver it on friday the 14th.

TWM sent me their short shifter kit, with their base and cable bushings kits, as well as a shift knob (Big Type R, satin finish, weighs over 600 grams!)

I got to work yesterday night at the shop to put everything on and try it out.

My impressions:

As you can see on the pictures, they include everything you need to perform the installation yourself without a hassle and everything is well-made. You can tell this is not a cheap kit.

They provide detailed installation instructions as well. They were very helpful.

My friend and I got to work at around 6:15pm and the short shifter/base bushings/shift knob installation was done by 7:30.

The cable bushings installation took only 15 minutes.

We followed the provided instructions and everything went smoothly. It's definitely something one can do at home with basic tools, a beer or two and about 1.5 hours of spare time ahead. :)

Once everything was done, I went out for a little drive. The difference is like day and night. The throw was reduced and the added weight improves shift feeling. The bushings make everything much tighter. You don't feel like you're shifting an old Mack truck tranny anymore. Also, the new reverse-lock system works really well.

I didn't believe it would make such a difference. I'm really pleased with the final results and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this product to anyone!

http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/kiashortshifters/kiaforteshortshifters.htm

Here's some pictures:

The box when it came in:

Its content:

Big Type-R shift knob with shift pattern engraving (Satin finish, matches
stock trims pretty well )

Cheezy stock shifter:

New TWM aluminum base bushings:

All aluminum reverse-lock mechanism:

Got a few parts out of the way now:

Center console removed:

Stock shifter:

Stock shifter out of the car:

OEM rubber base bushings (don't mind my extra-dirty fingers!):

TWM shifter is in:

TWM shifter:

Console back in (needed something to hold my beer):

Before installing the shift knob:

Tada!

Getting to work, installing the cable bushings. You have to remove a few
airbox parts to get there:

New hard bushings installed. It took only 15 minutes!

Final result. That's the Big Type-R knob. There are other models
available. I personally like a bigger shifter so this one is perfect.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wanted that shift knob very good quality. I bet it shifts like a totally different car now.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I was looking on kias website the other day and they actually offer an OEM short shifter now.. I wonder how that one compares to this one

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have a twm short shifter in my celica, ahh i love it, one of the best mods you can EVER do to your car..huge difference from stock..

you really cant go wrong with these guys, i mean c'mon this is what they do! im definatly buying this when i get my koup :)

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
So question, shift knob aside, is the short shifter making a difference, does it feel better or shorter when you shift?

·
Registered
211 Posts
i want this too and i know its better but does it stick anymore when i go into 1st then to 2nd its like pushing a square peg through a round one does not shift well at all. just wondering if you experienced this i have a 2011 sx 6sp

·
Registered
102 Posts
The shiftknob is 600 grams thats heavy!! You can pretty much push it with one finger and it should drop into gear.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So question, shift knob aside, is the short shifter making a difference, does it feel better or shorter when you shift?
The short shifter itself provides less travel between gears, yes.

On top of that, the bushings help make things stiffer.

i want this too and i know its better but does it stick anymore when i go into 1st then to 2nd its like pushing a square peg through a round one does not shift well at all. just wondering if you experienced this i have a 2011 sx 6sp
Hmm.. I don't know? My car doesn't do that...

·
Registered
3,919 Posts

I've had the same issue, the problem isn't the shifter, apparently the weather is so cold so the transmission fluid becomes a bit heavy, once the car warms up (running for a while) it goes away, and if the weather is over 40, it goes away.

I haven't noticed mine recently since i've been remote starting the car for a while now, but i believe it decreased a bit after a while (7000 miles).

One of the members changed their tranny fluid to synthetic and said it helped. (dealer quoted me $120.00)

·
Registered
211 Posts
"I've had the same issue, the problem isn't the shifter, apparently the weather is so cold so the transmission fluid becomes a bit heavy, once the car warms up (running for a while) it goes away, and if the weather is over 40, it goes away.

I haven't noticed mine recently since i've been remote starting the car for a while now, but i believe it decreased a bit after a while (7000 miles).

One of the members changed their tranny fluid to synthetic and said it helped. (dealer quoted me $120.00)"

well evn when my car is warmed up it does it the day i went in to the stealership they told me it was operating in normal ranges. im goin in friday to get my a/c housing replaced and i am gonna have them look at it again. i was hoping it was the shifter bushing or something super simple but now i am wondering alot more about as i live in florida.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Nice. I was a tester too. It's really a great setup. I have the same shift knob except flat black. :)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Hey guys I am about to order the short shifter from TWM but I'm more of an amateur when it comes to modding performance wise. Is this easy to install myself? What tools are required? And do i NEED to/should I buy the base AND/OR cable bushings?

Any info would really help cuz I really want this! Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys I am about to order the short shifter from TWM but I'm more of an amateur when it comes to modding performance wise. Is this easy to install myself? What tools are required? And do i NEED to/should I buy the base AND/OR cable bushings?

Any info would really help cuz I really want this! Thanks!
Everything you need to know about installing the short shifter kit is in the manual:

http://www.twmperformance.com/manuals/kia-forte-short-shifter-installation-manual.pdf

It is easy to install and you need only basic tools.

You don't NEED to buy the bushings, but I got 'em and I'm really happy. They stiffen up the whole thing and it makes shifting even better. I suggest you get 'em!

·
Registered
123 Posts
My only concern is taking out that rod using the vice grip/push. I don't have a vice grip so I planned to rig up a jig to do so. How hard was it to push out? Would it be too hard without a surface mounted vice grip?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My only concern is taking out that rod using the vice grip/push. I don't have a vice grip so I planned to rig up a jig to do so. How hard was it to push out? Would it be too hard without a surface mounted vice grip?
It was really easy to push out.. you need to put the metal piece they provide on two surfaces so you can get the bushing out with a punch.. really easy. you don't absolutely have to use a vice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts