Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the forte can use 87 and it will be ok, but will it be better if it used 94 instead? i drove down to seattle recently and filled up with 94 instead of the regular 87 i put in my car cause it was cheaper to fill my car with 94 in seattle than to fill 87 back in vancouver. i found out that it did run smoother, but it didnt get more mileage. im getting roughly 400km per tank of gas, would that be average?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,830 Posts
You probably would have saved even more if you had filled up with 87 octane in Seattle...LoL

When I first bought my Koup SX for the first few months all I ran in it was 91 octane. My wife's sedan SX always got 87 octane. My wifes sedan SX beats my Koup SX off-the line so I went back to using 87 octane in my Koup! Runs the same with 87 octane as it did with 91 octane!!! Save your money!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use diesel :p

·
Registered
444 Posts
I found performance wise 87 vs 91 there was no difference, but I do get way better mileage on 89. Like 550 highway on low/high grade and close to 700 on mid. No performance difference though.

Edit: kilometers, not miles.

·
Registered
318 Posts
unless you got the turbo =D

·
Registered
973 Posts
tuned to 87 from factory: run 87
running turbo or built motor, or just have a bmw=] : premium
it's that simple
all the higher octane does is decrease the risk of knock, though we have high compression, interference engines, I'm assuming they strengthened internal components or retarded timing (prob strengthened internals or our engines would be super inefficient lol) so we can run 87 or 89 instead of premium. translation: run what the book (and the gas cap too, I think) says to run

·
Registered
135 Posts
the forte can use 87 and it will be ok, but will it be better if it used 94 instead? i drove down to seattle recently and filled up with 94 instead of the regular 87 i put in my car cause it was cheaper to fill my car with 94 in seattle than to fill 87 back in vancouver. i found out that it did run smoother, but it didnt get more mileage. im getting roughly 400km per tank of gas, would that be average?
Honestly man I would just stick with whatever your car is tuned for. Its tuned for 87 octane and I would use 87. Maybe 89 but 94 would be a waste unless you are tuned for it or if your boosted with a tune. That's my experience with octane.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
The higher the octane rating, the higher the combustion temperature. Over time, if running higher octane than what the INDIVIDUAL PARTS are rated for (not how it is tuned), the sooner you will degrade the specific parts that are not designed to handle the higher burn temperature. Always run the lowest octane rating needed unless you are a person who goes to the track and already performs regular part swaps and maintenance due to racing degradation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The higher the octane rating, the higher the combustion temperature. Over time, if running higher octane than what the INDIVIDUAL PARTS are rated for (not how it is tuned), the sooner you will degrade the specific parts that are not designed to handle the higher burn temperature. Always run the lowest octane rating needed unless you are a person who goes to the track and already performs regular part swaps and maintenance due to racing degradation.
Isn't it true that the higher the octane the more ethenol or alchole the fuel has?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Running higher octane on an engine that was made to handle lower octane doesn't really hurt the actual parts of the vehicle internally. The parts that would be affect a car would be oxygen sensors and lil things like that. If u had an engine designed to run 93 oct or even 110 octane and then used 87 octane then Yes the engine will or can be damaged by pinging and detonation. 93 oct fuel in a 87 oct engine can also make ur car run slugish or slower.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,830 Posts
Isn't it true that the higher the octane the more ethenol or alchole the fuel has?
This is not really accurate. Octane boosters are additives put into gas...lead was one of them (but not anymore).

You'll notice down here in FL that all three levels of octane fuels have the same amount of ethanol -- 10%...so it's not the level of either one of them (ethanol or alcohol).

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
about 750km per tank highway for me. Probably can get 400km doing only city. Only use 87 octane.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
about 750km per tank highway for me. Probably can get 400km doing only city. Only use 87 octane.
are u auto or standard? pics or gtfo!!!

seriously im only getting at most 500km on the highway....and roughly 375 when its city....and honestly i dont drive like a speed demon or anything...keep the rpm low....and no lead foot! so what am i doing wrong?!?!?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not saying you're doing anything wrong, but here are a few things you can do to get the best possible MPG:

Keep your car empty of trash, bags, books, etc. Anything that weighs anything.

Keep your tires inflated between 32 - 35, and make sure all tires have the same pressure.

If you don't need the A/C, make sure it's off. (It runs anytime the selector is on Defrost, or floor / defrost).

Use the correct grade of engine oil & follow your maintenance schedule.

Change the air filter when needed. It is possible to have a dirty air filter BEFORE the recommended change interval, so don't hesitate to take it out and look at it.

Buy gas from a Top Tier retailer Top Tier Gasoline

Keep your foot out of it. Coast whenever you can. If you have an automatic, leave it in automatic mode. The computer will shift at the appropriate time to achieve maximum performance and economy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Keep your foot out of it. Coast whenever you can. If you have an automatic, leave it in automatic mode. The computer will shift at the appropriate time to achieve maximum performance and economy.

Good luck!
This is the problem i have. I'm only getting 400ish km to the tank. Averaging 9-10L/100km which isn't that great. Mostly because i love back roads and like pretending i'm in a race car.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
That number is from my last couple of excursions over 800km's away. I have the EX 2.0L manual 5 speed with TK CAI. When highway driving I set the cruise and don't look back. I maintain a 120km/hr speed. That was with 38psi in the tires. Get a little less with 32psi but slightly softer ride. I keep tires at 32psi when not doing those highway runs. I mainly am a 99% city driver. Only have 10500kms in 10 months.

·
Registered
283 Posts
usually 87 and 600km per tank or arround 75km per line on dash fuel ,tryed 91 and not a difference:cool:...525km on traffic mode every day 20-40 km/h 75% of the way

1 - 20 of 21 Posts