Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have tried both the Kia Forte Koup and Mazda 3 sedan (both 2011), please post your opinions.

I have demoed them both a few times but just want to see if your opinions concur with mine.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
916 Posts
the grill and ass end of the Mazda 3 are hidious in my opinion and the interior is bland too, i just bought my Forte Sedan 2 weeks ago and had looked at the 3 also

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually like the Mazda styling, smile included. But I am more concerned on driving feel, handling, shock absorption, shifting smoothness and clutch feel. In other words, the driving experience. I'm not too concerned with features like heated seats/mirrors/bluetooth etc.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I feel like the Mazda 3 is "Cute", while the Koup is more manly.

also, when i demoed the Mazda 3, i didn't like the cabin room. It's tighter than the koup. I had to push the seat all the way back to be comfy and i'm 5'11. In the koup, i have at least 3 clicks to go

·
Registered
58 Posts
I test drove both when I was looking for a car. Honestly the Mazda 3 was a much better handling car than the forte but having a independent rear multi-link suspension vs a torsion beam system will do that for you. The gearbox (I test drove manuals) in the 3 was also more precise than the forte gearbox. In the styling department (I know it’s subjective but) I couldn’t get past that “smile” on the 3, it just wasn’t doing it for me (especially in the white I test drove),on the other hand I absolutely loved the way the koup looked. When comparing options between the two cars the forte blew it away, for the same money as my full loaded EX I was getting AC on the 3 and that was it! In the end I picked the Forte Koup due to its styling and having all the options I wanted. Personally if you’re looking for the best handling car (and can deal with that smile) go with the 3 if you willing to give up a little on the handling side of things I think the forte is the better option.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I actually like the Mazda styling, smile included. But I am more concerned on driving feel, handling, shock absorption, shifting smoothness and clutch feel. In other words, the driving experience. I'm not too concerned with features like heated seats/mirrors/bluetooth etc.
Personally I think the 3 would be a better option for you. The Mazda 3's handling was better when I test drove it and the gearbox "felt" better and was more precise.

·
Registered
314 Posts
At the risk of sounding rather strange, I just traded a Mazda 3 for a Forte (specifically a 'Speed 3 for an SX five-door).

For me, and this is a purely personal opinion, I just couldn't get used to the styling of the Mazda. Everything else about the Mazda was/is quite good. Actually, the Mazda should be better when one considers the price difference. If I had to criticize the Mazda (and this is a stretch), I'd say the mileage wasn't great. Crappy horn on the Mazda, too (another very minor quibble). The clutch on the Mazda took a bit of getting used to, but it isn't bad once you do.

My decision to trade wasn't based on logic, to be honest...

·
Registered
916 Posts
The handling and overall ''feel'' of the Mazda 3 is better and the same is said by all reviewers of both cars, so if thats what your looking for it would be a better car for you, I just see them everywhere here and dont like the styling or interior, particularily the grill.Ive only seen 3 Fortes and I've yet to see another Forte SX in town, not sure what to make of that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think in a couple yrs cars like the mazda 3, scion xb, and souls will look silly.. The Forte sedan and koup have long lasting looks

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Be more original and get the koup! I see 3's EVERYwhere! I work with 4 people who have them (might I add theyre all females) but I never see koups. Yes the 3 may have a little better handling and smoothness or whatever but it's not like the koup is BAD in those departments, just not AS good. The interior is an absolutely one sided discussion. The koups interior is rly rly nice and not bland at all! The features are better then any car in it's class and trust me u will get compliments on a daily basis cuz I sure do!

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Can't go wrong with either car. You shouldn't ask us about choosing a Forte Koup over a Mazda 3 because our opinions will be biased, unless you already have your mind set on the Koup.

What you should do is look deeper into the Forums and find out all of the issues users are having with their Forte Koups and what they don't like about it. If there's a Mazda 3 forum I would strongly suggest doing the same thing.

The Forte Koup is hands down a nicer looking car than the Mazda 3. I was originally debating on buying the Mitsubishi Lancer GTS or the Mazda 3, but then I saw the Forte Koup after test driving the Kia Soul Sport...

;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well Ditto on the Mazda's better over all performance comments. I did prefer the Style of the forte. I went with the Forte due to the better value to match the SX features would have cost 4-5 K more and the performance difference was not worth the additional $. It was a choice based on overall value ( warranty and they threw in 5 year oil changes) I am confident in my choice. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i sold my 3 gt for my koup and I don't regret ! sure the koup dont have independant suspension but overall for me the 2.4 from the koup is enought for me on the mazda I got a lot of engine problems, power steering pump, belt tensioner, etc... plus my wife just got the new 2011 sportage , im a bit jealous, she got independant suspension and its feel better than the koup but im ok since Im gonna drive it too hehe!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is there a reason you aren't comparing the forte5 to the 3? They are both hatches. Maybe you should compare the rx8 lol. I can't speak for the koup because we have the 5 door. We did cross shop the Mazda 3 but the price difference was extreme. Almost $5k difference for the same trim, and that was with all the Mazda incentives as well as the Kia ones. That's a major factor, but you do get better performance, and an established platform to mod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a 3 for 5 years...hated everything about it. piece of junk i had to put in at least 8k in repairs. Transmission lasted less than 70k miles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i haven't tried the Mazda 3, but I'm havin trouble puttin a sedan and 2dr in the same category. if you ain't buying for looks or style, go for the 3, but since my opinion is biased(i have a koup), go with the Koup!(just plain "balls out"). Mazda 3 is keepin em in.
lol.........just my opinion.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Based on looks and rarity alone i would choose Koup. Throw in solid performance, tech, price and Kia's warranty and you've got a no brainer IMO.

The Koup may not sell as well as the Mazda3 but Kia as a brand outsells Mazda worldwide hand over fist.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would compare the Mazda 3 GX (sedan) to the Kia Forte (sedan) but I find the Koup is the way to go when it comes to the Forte.

I see a lot of the posts here have been about looks. For me, that has a certain weight but I honestly like the looks of both cars.

I know guys that have had the 3 for years and never did anything on them except oil changes. Stories vary from owner to owner. I think both cars are solid. The 3 does drive extremely nicely though. Now that I've test driven it again, I honestly feel jealous when I see one because I know how much fun it is to drive.

I've not driven the Kia for a few months so am looking to test drive both cars on the same night hopefully.

Kia Koup advantages: looks, features (heated seats, bluetooth etc), warranty.
Kia Koup disadvantages: shifting, clutch, steering feel, poor resale value, creaks, and the dreaded crease issue.

Mazda 3 GX advantages: driving dynamics, handling and steering feel, smooth shifting/clutch, 4 doors
Mazda 3 GX disadvantages: warranty, possible rust problem (should be fixed, but who knows....)

Pricing is not really an issue since both would come out to almost the same price (with Kia having the edge in features though). The difference in price is there if you want to add things like heated seats/mirrors, fog lamps to the Mazda 3. But those are not necessities for me.

Will re-evaluate after my next test drive. I am also test driving the Ford Focus soon.

BTW I've read and posted on other forums like the Elantra forum. People in general tend to be quite objective even if they own the car. The Elantra is still in the game too but I'm slowly losing interest in it due to the choppy ride. Otherwise it seems like quite a good car for the money. They are having no problems selling those.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts