Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are yalls thoughts on underbody and wheel well lighting? Ive been considering doing some, but not until i do a few performance add ons (I have none yet! :eek:)

2,213 Posts
youre going to have to have a custom bracket made for the back light bar. really isnt any place to install it. the shop is charging me $100 for install but im waiting for after winter. i got the 1 million color change one. came out to like $170....but its got a remote control!!! lol

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooh you have a red Koup just like me... what colors are you gonna run? Aidensgrand recommended white to me and I kinda dig the contrast now that I think about it. Where did you order from?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..... and everyone called me weird when I did mine... :/
youre not weird! I actually kinda got the idea from seeing your koup, mines red as well! So there, you were my inspiration :)

2,213 Posts
mines a million diffrent colors!!! lol i can change the color t anything! diffrent patterns too! this is actuall an led kit, i used to run neons on my other car but i like this one better, i got it from ledglow.com

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yeah mine are installed in the back, but no I don't have a pic.

youre not weird! I actually kinda got the idea from seeing your koup, mines red as well! So there, you were my inspiration :)
So I'm your inspiration, hmmm? lol Plz, just don't make an exact replica of mine... :/

2,213 Posts
well take a pic! lol theres only one mounting point in the back, and its right on the tow hook, so im having them make a bracket from one side of the car to the other. you guys can be twins!!! aww how cute! ;) lol

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha Im not gonna copy yours, im actually thinkin about doin the multicolor kit like KIA is doin just so i have the options lol. Post pics when you get it in!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'll try to take a pic tomorrow morning. I've gotta wash my car for a cruise tomorrow anyways.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I've always wanted to get an underbody led lighting kit, and have it hooked up so that it works everytime i turn my car off, and turns off when i turn the car on. Kinda like an alarm led, and i want it to kinda like scan or imitate the mood lighting (dim to bright). I've just wondered if an LED kit drew so little power to keep it running for a day (max) without it killing the battery. I kinda want it to be like the whole alarm led deterrent thing.

2,213 Posts
I've always wanted to get an underbody led lighting kit, and have it hooked up so that it works everytime i turn my car off, and turns off when i turn the car on. Kinda like an alarm led, and i want it to kinda like scan or imitate the mood lighting (dim to bright). I've just wondered if an LED kit drew so little power to keep it running for a day (max) without it killing the battery. I kinda want it to be like the whole alarm led deterrent thing.
i dont know if i would do that. now youre drawing unwanted attention to your car and some prick might go up to it and start effin with it. its more fun to drive arund and flash the lights lol

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yeah, its fun. I had a cop give me a thumbs up when I accidentally forgot to turn my lights off. Fun stuffff. Tho the red sometimes looks pink on whiter concrete... that's my only regret.

2,213 Posts
I have to order a new connector box for my kit...we did a mock set up, and I accidentally left the box in the engine compartment...that was last week...just realized it today and sure as shit...it ain't there! lol oh well

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
here's your pic... a lil bit of the light is obstructed, but its still functional and fine.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It might just be me but it looks like you don't have a spot for a spare tire.?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
i dont know if i would do that. now youre drawing unwanted attention to your car and some prick might go up to it and start effin with it. its more fun to drive arund and flash the lights lol

I wouldn't do it for that reason alone, but there's a better reason not to do it. While LED's draw very little power, a full underbody kit is a lot of LED's. Some of the cheap kits that aren't super bright might not kill your battery in a day, but I bet one of the good kits with really bright LEDs will. Even if they don't kill your battery in a day, your alternator will be working overtime everytime you start the car, as it will be trying to run the car and replenish a low battery. Not only will that eat up alternators, but batteries don't like charging and discharging a lot and you'll eat barreries faster than normal too.

Your best bet is to just wire it up to a switch on constant power so you can turn it on whenever you want, driving or not, car on or not. I just wouldn't recommend leaving them on for long periods of time with the car off on a regular basis.

Whatever you do it is always a good idea to separate your aftermarket electrical accessory circuit from the rest of the car. It's never a good idea to just tap into the fuse box or stock circuits to get your power as it can possibly overload some systems or cause other problems. If you want a constant power source, run a wire directly to the battery and put a fuse on the battery end and a switch for the accessory. If you want to run off a switched power source, run the same constant wire, get a relay, then get your switched power source for the relay from the stock fuse box or wherever. The source for the relay is just a signal, and therefore won't add any strain to whatever circuit you tap into.

We did a relay on our Koup that is run off switched power, and that relay runs our LED driving lights, LED headlight trim, and interior LED's. It will also run our underbody kit when we get it. From that relay, we can run to a number of different switches to turn whatever we want on or off.

I can't tell you how many people blow fuses because they run all their accessories in one wire to a stock fuse for the radio and they're drawing 15 amps with the stuff they added through a 20 amp fuse. They then decide to stick a 30 amp fuse to keep from blowing fuses and burn wires to the point of catching their car on fire because they're pulling too much juice through the system.

If you understand how car fuses work (OEM prong style), 1 side of where the fuse plugs in is power coming in from the underhood power/relay/fuse box, the other side is power going out to whatever circuit that fuse is regulating. If you hook your accessory wire after the fuse, it's still probably pulling too much juice through the system and could cause problems like blowing fuses or worse, but at least it's fused. It's when they hook it to the other side, before the fuse, that things get really risky. Then your accessory power is unregulated and unfused and not only draws too much power through the circuit, but also has a greater chance of burning up your wiring. Running a relayed power circuit will take either of these problems out of the equation.

2,213 Posts
so i shouldnt do an add a circuit from the fuse box to the underbody kit?? the underbody kit comes with a in line fuse already. i was going to run it thru the radio.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts