Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try to finally take out the CDV
someone (I think Ossie) did a little write up on the aussie one, but our cars are laid out differently..

I got the car to school and started to take out the airbox, because this is how the people on the tibby forums did theirs, then realized it would actually be easier (though still kind of uncomfortable) to get to from the bottom
We lifted it up so I could walk under it, and there the release cylinder ("slave cylinder") was, right behind the fan, basically centered, near the bottom of the transaxle assy

before you do this you need a metric socket set (I think I only used the 16, but can't remember for certain), a magnet or magnetic screwdriver, a 10mm crescent wrench, and something to let the brake fluid drip into.

you will see the clutch arm and the push rod going into the slave cylinder from driver's side of the car
on the front is the union bolt, directly under the bleeder nipple
union bolt attaches the clutch arm and all to the slave cylinder, so the bronze nut or whatever from the clutch arm is between the union bolt and the slave cyl
take the union bolt off CAREFULLY, making sure to hold the clutch arm and the washer on the end on (there are two washers, one on either side of clutch arm attachment
make sure you have the washer on the end of the union bolt
with your magnet, get the spring out of the hole the bolt came out of, should come out with the valve on the end, like a cap
it's TINY so be careful not to lose it if you think you'll possibly want to put it back in
after you get the cdv out, simply put the union bolt back in, making sure the clutch arm is still attached and the washer is on the end
after you get the bolt in pretty tight, bleed the clutch like normal, then it's good to go!

To me, it makes a marked improvement in take off and during all shifts, definitely worth it
you can probably do it with just the front end jacked up, too, btw;
it'll just be a little more uncomfortable

So there ya go, I think I'm the first north american forte to actually do this?
lol

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics...
Hard to picture if I'm trying to do this
I'm going to get under my car tmrw and take a few pictures of where the slave cylinder is and circle the bolt and the bleeder screw
couldn't use camera in school, and I was working on it almost all of the three lab hours trying to figure out how to do it easily, teacher helped a lot with that..

if you look under the front of your car there is a bolted on plastic shield, look above that and to the center and you'll see the slave cylinder
looks pretty much like this:

you see something that looks similar, bolted onto the front of the transaxle assembly, directly behind the fan and that's it
the bleeder screw and the bolt are both on the front of it, bleeder above the bolt with a rubber cap on it
the clutch arm (long thin metal rod) and the push rod (the thing in the rubber boot) are both on the driver's side of it
idk if this works for the 2.4 though it's been said that yours is inside the bell housing, I guess to save space since you have a bigger transaxle

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any chance you ever took those pictures?? I really want to make this modification to my 2.0L 5-door with the 6spd manual....should be the same process I think?
dunno if the new six speed is the same as the old one but supposedly they had an internal slave cylinder (inside the bell housing), which would make this a lot more of a pain to do.
If you have ramps or a decent jack and jackstands, lift your car and look for a slave cylinder down there in front of the tranny, there'll be a line going into it and out, and ours looks pretty much like the one I posted above. I'm off tomorrow so I will try to remember to post the pictures.
It's very easy though, once you find the slave. The hard part is bleeding the clutch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 6 spd SX model and I took a look at the slave cylinder today in an attempt to do this modification. It is in fact inside the bell housing and therefore would require you to remove the bell housing (there is no inspection plate that I can see)

Huge pain in the ass, I will do it once I nuke this clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts