Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I recently purchased an LX model even-though it did not have cruise control. I went home and started looking to see if I could add something after-market.

To my surprise it looks like it might be easier than I expected.

Following this thread and another thread about a RIO it appears the gas pedal is electronic and not mechanical. It also appears that all the electronics are there, its just missing the buttons.

I'm aware that if I do this and it works, without any further mods the main cluster will not illuminate when cruise is on and I'm find with that.

My real question is, I found a steering wheel from a 2012 Forte EX that was in an accident and the airbag deployed. Do you think this will be a safe steering wheel to use? Since I will be using my own airbag there shouldn't be any issues with using this current steering wheel, correct?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just put it on and sadly it did not work. I'll have to do some more troubleshooting but I basically just swapped the entire steering wheels out and there is only 3 plugs Two for the airbag (one is horn I think) and the big white one which connects to all the modules.

Hopefully the cruise control module just came unplugged or something.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is for the 2014+ but it should be very similar if not the same. Part numbers will be different but maybe you can find the info ya need to figure out what you may have missed.

Look here - http://www.forteforums.com/forums/sedan-general-discussions/39906-air-bag-removal-adding-o-e-cruise-control-non-equipped-car.html
Thanks, that's what I was basing it off, but I did not read the thread carefully. I missed the clock assembly part.... Now I have to try and figure out if a 2014 clock assembly will work on a 2012 because I have access to car with a smashed front end.

If not I'll just get one on ebay. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, you really give me hope AVG, I used to be as adventurous as you but when it comes to swapping out airbag equipped steering wheels and cruise control I'm more inclined to put in a few extra hours at the plant and use the overtime money to pay someone else to do dat stuf.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clock spring will probably be different. But they are pretty affordable.
Darn, could have gotten one for free. I was looking on Ebay and all the clock springs there seem to only have the orange wire (airbag) whereas mine also has a block wire, which I assume is for the horn. Is this expected? or are the parts I'm looking at slightly different?

Wow, you really give me hope AVG, I used to be as adventurous as you but when it comes to swapping out airbag equipped steering wheels and cruise control I'm more inclined to put in a few extra hours at the plant and use the overtime money to pay someone else to do dat stuf.
So far it's been a fairly easy mod. I'll let you know whow easy/difficult it is when I get the new clock assembly in. Removing the airbag and steering wheel are pretty easy though. Two torx screws an one large nut, then just use a steering wheel puller and voila its off.

After this is all done, I'll try to make a tutorial for the 2010-2013 models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, bad news to report. I ordered the clock spring from an ex model (934902M610) and replaced my current clock spring (934902M410) hoping that would give me cruise control, but it did not.

I'll keep looking into it, but I'm not sure what other parts there would be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also installed a steering wheel face with the cruise control switches on my LX which does not activate cruise control either. I did an online search for clock springs and all I found was two different types; with or without paddle shifts, so I'm guessing this may not have to do with activating cc on 2010-2013 models (2014 owners are lucky). It would be nice to find a way to activate it but KGIS does not seem to have much on cruise control. Maybe it needs to be activated in the computer? If anyone has a clue please share... I'll keep searching on this to see if I can find a way to get it working.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Okay, after some research and checking my own car I found out that our non-cruise control vehicles simply do not have the wiring from the ECM. If you unplug the the smallest harness from the ECM and look at pins 15 (CC Ground) and 30 (CC switch) you will see that there are two white dummy wires instead. I did not check, but the larger harness possibly has pins 89 and 90 missing too, which are for the cruise control indicators on the instrument cluster.

I emailed a KIA parts vendor and was told that the missing wires have to be added to the harness all the way to the bottom clock-spring harness to get the OEM cruise control working.

NOTE: If you are going to unplug the ECM on your car to check if you too have missing cables, please don't forget to disconnect the negative cable from your battery first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, after some research and checking my own car I found out that our non-cruise control vehicles simply do not have the wiring from the ECM. If you unplug the the smallest harness from the ECM and look at pins 15 (CC Ground) and 30 (CC switch) you will see that there are two white dummy wires instead. I did not check, but the larger harness possibly has pins 89 and 90 missing too, which are for the cruise control indicators on the instrument cluster.

I emailed a KIA parts vendor and was told that the missing wires have to be added to the harness all the way to the bottom clock-spring harness to get the OEM cruise control working.

NOTE: If you are going to unplug the ECM on your car to check if you too have missing cables, please don't forget to disconnect the negative cable from your battery first.

What do you mean by ECM? So far I've tried getting cruise to work with the new steering wheel and clock-spring, but that did not work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What do you mean by ECM? So far I've tried getting cruise to work with the new steering wheel and clock-spring, but that did not work.
I was referring to the Engine Control Module. It is located under the hood behind your battery, left to the fuse box.

For cruise control to work, the signal from the switch on your steering wheel has to get to the ECM, but since the required cables are missing from the LX, nothing happens when you tap the cruise button.

Apparently you would have to add the two cables from the ECM all the way to your clock spring. You can find the diagrams for the ECM harness at kiatechinfo, but I don't know where exactly on the clock spring this should be connected, since there is no diagram for the clockspring that I could find.

Maybe someone else in the forum can find the diagrams for the clock spring or figure this out. I'll still be looking into this and if I find more info I will be posting.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Anyone who has added aftermarket fogs with the OE signal stalk/fog switch has had a look at the clock spring. That's where I'd ask first. @nitebleu may also know. He's kinda the wiring guru around here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the info s.f.c.hooligan, will surely ask.

Also, while searching online I found a pdf for performing a similar wiring of the ECM to clock spring to add cruise control on a Toyota vehicle that also does not come pre-wired. I am thinking this is pretty much what has to be done. Still have to figure out what pins on the clock spring have to do with cruise control.

If anyone who knows a little more about the Forte wiring wants to take a look at the PDF, you can see it here (from page 6 on). It might work as a generic guide to what has to be done to get this working.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Hey guys, @juser asked about connecting the ground and signal ports on the ECU to the lower connector in the clock spring - hopefully enabling cruise control on LX models. Here is the diagram I found.

The CC ground on the ECU (#15) connects to pin 12 on the right side connector on the multifunction switch:

The switch wire from the ECU (#30) connects to pin 11 on the same connector.

I didn't notice anything else that would prevent the cruise operation assuming the ECU is provisioned for its' operation.

DISCLAIMER: Please, PLEASE remember to disconnect chassis ground and disconnect the ECU before making this type of modification. The ECU internal grounds are extremely sensitive - and that is not a cheap replacement part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The CC ground on the ECU (#15) connects to pin 12 on the right side connector on the multifunction switch:
I checked the plugs on the bottom of my clock-spring and I could find three different harnesses. I could only see one that fit the description (12 pins) but it had all cables except pin #9, just like the image on the previous post (the harness was to my left because I did not remove the clock-spring from the car). So maybe these cables connect somewhere else first, then to the ECM?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts