Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
I checked the plugs on the bottom of my clock-spring and I could find three different harnesses. I could only see one that fit the description (12 pins) but it had all cables except pin #9, just like the image on the previous post (the harness was to my left because I did not remove the clock-spring from the car). So maybe these cables connect somewhere else first, then to the ECM?

If the connector fits the description (especially including the missing pin), then that should be the correct one. The right/left orientation will depend on the direction you're looking at it from - and KGIS doesn't specify which way they're orientated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced it is the correct connector. Just thought that cables 12 and 11 would be missing from the clock-spring too. And that it would be a straight connect to the ECU.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here is a pic of the clock spring off the vehicle.

So are we to guess the ground is already hooked up, we're just missing ECU(30) to Spring(11)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
From the picture you posted, you need to connect to the pins from the right port.

So are we to guess the ground is already hooked up, we're just missing ECU(30) to Spring(11)?
You have to connect ECU(30) to Spring(11) and ECU(15) to Spring(12).

At least on my car, the ECU is missing both ground (15) and switch (30) wires. But my clock-spring has all cables already connected, so I don't know if the 11 & 12 pins go elsewhere before actually connecting to the ECU, or if they are just connected to the harness, but get cut off and go nowhere at all.

From the diagram posted by @nitebleu it looks like it is a direct connect, but I'm not 100% sure after looking at my clock-spring.

If its not much trouble, maybe you could take a look at your clock-spring harness and check out if pins 11 and 12 have wires already.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
From the picture you posted, you need to connect to the pins from the right port.

You have to connect ECU(30) to Spring(11) and ECU(15) to Spring(12).

At least on my car, the ECU is missing both ground (15) and switch (30) wires. But my clock-spring has all cables already connected, so I don't know if the 11 & 12 pins go elsewhere before actually connecting to the ECU, or if they are just connected to the harness, but get cut off and go nowhere at all.

From the diagram posted by @nitebleu it looks like it is a direct connect, but I'm not 100% sure after looking at my clock-spring.

If its not much trouble, maybe you could take a look at your clock-spring harness and check out if pins 11 and 12 have wires already.

I'll try to take a look tomorrow but I think I'm busy all day. The clock spring I took picture of is from the EX model car. Our's should be a little different, or at least it is a different model number.

The cruisecontrolstore has a diagram of how to hook up their cruise control switch but I doubt it helps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is it legal to put a wheel that does not have airbags? I saw an Acura RSX which had one that is removable. Obviously those are the ones that Momo and Sparco make so I doubt they have airbags to the best of my knowledge. His car was pretty raced out. Big wing, lowered, kind of gutted interior and racing seats with harnesses. I think it may be a track car for the street, i.e he couldn't afford a dedicated track car so it's his 365 day car.

I thought there was a law stating that you can't take a steering wheel out and put in one that doesn't have airbags if your car originally came with one. I'm pretty sure the RSX when it debut in 2002-03? had airbags.

Not really interested in doing it unless I was going the whole nine yards with Recaro, racing hardness and roll cage, but just out of curiosity. I'm also a big fan of smaller diameter wheels being a small guy.

Eventually, Sparco / Recaro seats may be in the plans. I just don't like losing the safety of side airbags, but we'll see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the problem not in the clock spring . I found the one on my Forte Koupe ( without cruise ) is the same as the Koupe ( with cruise control ) . I am talking about the part No .

as my car has a GAMMA 1.6L engine . after searching I found that may the ECU dosn't support cruise control . I don't know about the 2.0L Theta engine's ECU . but I believe that if you have everything wired correctly it will work . so compare a cruise control ECU part No with yours !

·
Registered
3 Posts
2012 forte lx add on cruise control wiring problem can anybody help

I also have the same dilemma with my 2012 forte lx usa version my rear wire plug going to the spring clock has the signal wire and the ground but no power wire the aftermarket kit from ebay appears to be wired correctly but the wires from the plug at the back of spring clock disapear in wiring bundle and do not return to the ECM anybody got any ideas or what clips to buy to insert into ecm wire bundle and route pin 15 and pin30 up to back of spring clock also is it a bad idea to cut the wires that disappear and add the new wires p.s. sorry for being long winded new to this and would like to keep the factory look thank you any input would be greatly appreciated !!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
So, bad news to report. I ordered the clock spring from an ex model (934902M610) and replaced my current clock spring (934902M410) hoping that would give me cruise control, but it did not.

I'll keep looking into it, but I'm not sure what other parts there would be.
I have cruise control with a 934902M410 clockspring on a Kia Forte EX with no fuel economy package, model year 2010. I replaced the clockspring myself.

Check that the buttons work if you have access to a multimeter:
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/do-yourself-articles/69138-anyone-acces-kgis-kia-s-service-info.html

Schematics available on request, send me a PM.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Is it legal to put a wheel that does not have airbags? I saw an Acura RSX which had one that is removable. Obviously those are the ones that Momo and Sparco make so I doubt they have airbags to the best of my knowledge. His car was pretty raced out. Big wing, lowered, kind of gutted interior and racing seats with harnesses. I think it may be a track car for the street, i.e he couldn't afford a dedicated track car so it's his 365 day car.

I thought there was a law stating that you can't take a steering wheel out and put in one that doesn't have airbags if your car originally came with one. I'm pretty sure the RSX when it debut in 2002-03? had airbags.

Not really interested in doing it unless I was going the whole nine yards with Recaro, racing hardness and roll cage, but just out of curiosity. I'm also a big fan of smaller diameter wheels being a small guy.

Eventually, Sparco / Recaro seats may be in the plans. I just don't like losing the safety of side airbags, but we'll see.
I don't know about illegal, but it can cause your insurance to deny a claim since you have removed safety equipment. Same goes for replacing a lot of seats as most cars now have seat mounted side impact bags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I already have a 12 pin clock spring as i have paddle shifters while do not have cruise control and pin 10,11 and 12 are coming to the back of clock spring
Also checked ecm socket and saw that pin 15 and 30 are wired ( not dummy wires )
Tried with an avometer to see if they are directly connected and it seems not
There must be a relay or a fuse that is in the middle that makes an open circuit
I really want this to work and i now have a steering wheel with all buttons but cruise control is not working

I also tried another switch from an old sportage steering wheel and it is the same issue
So it is not a button issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
I already have a 12 pin clock spring as i have paddle shifters while do not have cruise control and pin 10,11 and 12 are coming to the back of clock spring
Also checked ecm socket and saw that pin 15 and 30 are wired ( not dummy wires )
Tried with an avometer to see if they are directly connected and it seems not
There must be a relay or a fuse that is in the middle that makes an open circuit
I really want this to work and i now have a steering wheel with all buttons but cruise control is not working

I also tried another switch from an old sportage steering wheel and it is the same issue
So it is not a button issue
I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts