Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First time post. Nice to meet y'all.

Make/Model: 2014 Kia Forte EX, 4 cylinder, 2.0L, GDI, DOHC
Mileage: 77,300

I am going to be replacing my valve cover gasket (22441, Parts Diagram 2). I checked with dealership service advisor to see how they do this job. Turns out that they also replace the following parts every time they replace valve cover gasket:

(1) High Pressure Fuel Pump Gasket (31822, Parts Diagram 2)
(2) High Pressure Fuel Pump Bolts x2 (1140KB, Parts Diagram 1)
(3) High Pressure Fuel Line (35340, Parts Diagram 1)

What are y'alls thoughts on NOT replacing the High Pressure Fuel Line at all? What about using non-OEM?

The fuel line is almost 270 bucks OEM (seems like maybe they only sell the whole fuel rail as a unit). But just the line itself is only 40 bucks on RockAuto as a non-OEM.

Parts Diagram 1: https://www.kiapartsnow.com/resourc...0a820e65/6bfccaed7445cfaf753a99048e0b6a80.png

Parts Diagram 2: https://www.kiapartsnow.com/resourc...26af6fbb/a14d66804011b852ba1f7ea0e4458705.png

Rock Auto Part:
2014 KIA FORTE 2.0L L4 Fuel Line / Hose | RockAuto

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,144 Posts
Welcome to forteforums!

If you have to remove the high pressure fuel pump in order to remove the valve cover, common sense says you should replace the fuel pump gasket - and it is not unusual to replace bolts if they are "torque to yield" meaning ONE -TIME use. As for the High Pressure fuel line - remember this line holds @200 PSI - a very high pressure - so it may be practical to replace a removed line because of leak potentials.

I cannot find an online service manual that includes the GDI engine to verify the need to replace these parts - see next post!!!

Did you buy your 2014 EX new? I would think an oil leak should fall under the 10 year 100K limited power train warranty if you did!

Let us know how this turns out.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,144 Posts
Reactions: Chuzz

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Check your prices!

Reactions: Chuzz

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
441 Posts
Being the cheap bas....I mean frugal man that I am, I'd mark the high pressure line AND lock nut and try to reuse them. Why? Because I'm on a fixed income and have to make smart choices. The reason the tech gives is because there's no guarantee you'll line things up back where they were. If you mark it, I don't see why you can't line things back up. BUT, I'm NOT a mechanic, so don't take my advice. I suppose if you don't get things lined up correctly, there could be an engine fire. At my age, I don't care, but if you're a young man, you probably should care.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cannot find an online service manual that includes the GDI engine to verify the need to replace these parts - see next post!!!

Did you buy your 2014 EX new? I would think an oil leak should fall under the 10 year 100K limited power train warranty if you did!

Let us know how this turns out.

Good Luck!
I did not buy new. I bought prior salvage. So I gotta do this shit myself! :)

As for a full service manual online for GDI 2.0L ... I bought mine from tradebit.com. Its totally legit. 15 bucks to download it.

·
Administrator
586 Posts
Did you replace these at the same time or just the valve cover gasket?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you replace these at the same time or just the valve cover gasket?

I did replace them all following the procedure outlined in the FSM! Replacing the high pressure fuel line required a 3/4 in crow's foot socket head (was tipped off by someone on a forum somewhere or a service advisor from a kia dealership).

Felt really great when I had just what I needed for the whole job (screw your "special service tools", FSM!). I didn't need to "go make a quick trip" after running into an unforseen obstacle. I'd say I did a pretty bang up job for my first time doing engine repair.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L
7 Posts
Lol I didn’t realize this was the 2014+ 2.0L section. My post is for a 2010 SX 2.4L. I don’t know if my experience and post applies to the 2014+ 2.0L models. Sorry guys!!

Today I swapped out my spark plugs and decided I might as well fix the oil leak that I’ve had from the valve cover gasket. DO NOT USE THE FELPRO BRAND GASKET!!! It’s the wrong design, doesn’t even fit!! Every auto parts store in my town only carry the Felpro brand. I had to cut this new Felpro gasket I just bought and use gasket maker to make it fit as a temporary solution while I order a MAHLE.
Hood Blue Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Tire Automotive tire Light Blue Motor vehicle

I didn’t have to mess with the fuel pump to change the gasket so I don’t know anything about that. I’m not sure what brand Kia recommends for valve cover gasket, but I just wanted to share and spread the word not to use the Felpro brand!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Felpro gaskets are terrible. Autozone can get oem parts through a supplier they bought out several years ago. Note on the high pressure use parts- reuse of the high pressure feed pipe is one of the 3 reasons for the engine fires

1 - 12 of 12 Posts