Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nope, doesn't sound like lifters or anything else that I've heard it a motor before. It's not loud, just a lot of ticking sounds. Is this normal? Only got 2k miles on it. Hell, it runs great. May something to do with VVT?

·
Registered
215 Posts
dealer says it's normal - i.e. all other Fortes seem to make the same noise - when I brought mine in for warranty check.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dealer listened to mine, called it 'normal'. I get heavy 'clattering' between 2500 - 3000 until it's totally warmed up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine too...not noticable with the windows up though. It of course got louder when I put on the SRI and took out the intake damper.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Nope, doesn't sound like lifters or anything else that I've heard it a motor before. It's not loud, just a lot of ticking sounds. Is this normal? Only got 2k miles on it. Hell, it runs great. May something to do with VVT?
Hey Dwells how many miles on your car?

If I recall my car got real noisy around 5,000 miles I'd start it and scratched my head at how loud the clatter was, but a few thousand miles later and it seemed like there is much less clatter or I'm just used to it now lol

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the same noise at 4300 and 4500 rpms gets really annoying only 8000 miles on it time to tale to the dealer sounds like a pulley is going bad or something. Hopefully Kia can find the problem and get it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Mine too...not noticable with the windows up though. It of course got louder when I put on the SRI and took out the intake damper.
did you need to put in some kind of bung or something to plug up the hole where the intake damper was? I've been wanting to do this for a while but haven't looked too much into it

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,845 Posts
Kia Forte Engines 101:

According to the engine specs found on KGIS, the Forte's engines use solid cam followers -- not hydraulic followers. What this means is the valves are adjusted with some clearance to account for heat expansion -- there is no slack take-up as in engines with hydraulic followers (lifters). The clicking is normal -- like solid lifter cam-equiped cars. I think EX owners will notice it more than SX owners because the SX comes with underhood insulation that probably quiets it some.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, no worries then. Yes is does quiet down after it warms up. Solid lifters...intersting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts