Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of noise at idle from the valvetrain on these engines, sounds like a diesel at times. I've listened to others. I guess we have to just assume a lot of clatter and light knocking is normal. Although the knocking comes and goes.

Variable valve timing possibly? Although other makes with VVT don't seem to be unusually noisy like the Kia(Hyundai) 2.0 and 2.4 engines.

My engine is nice and quiet while driving and doesn't use any oil...still at full mark from last oil change.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Seems to be common on these cars

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have this problem with little to no notable difference in oil level between changes

·
Registered
41 Posts
A lot of noise at idle from the valvetrain on these engines, sounds like a diesel at times. I've listened to others. I guess we have to just assume a lot of clatter and light knocking is normal. Although the knocking comes and goes.

Variable valve timing possibly? Although other makes with VVT don't seem to be unusually noisy like the Kia(Hyundai) 2.0 and 2.4 engines.

My engine is nice and quiet while driving and doesn't use any oil...still at full mark from last oil change.
Same with my 2013 EX. 74k, all routine maintenance done, and runs like a champ.. other than the "noise.."

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Weird Engine Noise

Hi, I'm quite aware of the 2.0L cold start valve train noise. My 2011 Forte makes noise aswell which I'm used to, but now it started making a whining noise when up to temp. The noise it's coming from the block, if I loosen up the oil cap build up pressure escapes and the noise stops. The only mods I have are a K&N Typhoon and a solo cat back exhaust. Can anyone please help me out with any info? Thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
...The noise it's coming from the block, if I loosen up the oil cap build up pressure escapes and the noise stops. ....
Pressure is negative (vacuum) at the oil cap, so 'built up pressure escapes' makes no sense to me. Whining sound is usually caused by something related to the serp belt, one of the pulleys, power steering hydraulic, or auto tranny-related noise. The only thing I can think of to correlate the noise and the oil cap is a change in vacuum and RPM when the cap is removed , which might be just enough to stop whatever noise is coming from the serp loop. I've read some threads about A/C compressor failures on Fortes, so that might be the first thing to consider.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sorry, for lack of a better word I used whining, but it's more like the noise coming from a tea kettle when it comes to a boil. It's not constant like a kettle it is chopped up, only when up to temp and at idle. I had the Kia dealer and two mechanics check the pulleys, but nothing. The last mechanic said it was internal, but could not tell me until it was opened up. Went back to Kia but they charge an arm and leg for everything, car is under warranty through a third party but I don't want to get stuck with the bill if they don't pay up. Oil level is good only done at Kia, when the car is running or over 2k rpm the noise goes away. Cold start is the usual noises, the car runs great and no dash lights are on. It is only the fact that there is something wrong I can't figure it out and it makes my car sound like a clunker at every stop light. Btw the car has 65,000 miles, it's an auto and I do not abuse it. Thanks for taking time to respond I really appreciate it.

Reactions: mattillakk

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
....but it's more like the noise coming from a tea kettle when it comes to a boil. It's not constant like a kettle it is chopped up,...
So it's more like a broken whistle sound? If so, that could certainly still be a belt loop noise.

...I had the Kia dealer and two mechanics check the pulleys, but nothing....
Did they say exactly how they "checked" the pulleys? Very skeptical, and read below for additional information on this.

... The last mechanic said it was internal, but could not tell me until it was opened up. ...
NEVER allow that to be done for just a noise which has no performance-related symptoms. Only a hack or a ripoff artist would suggest "opening it up", in order to find the source of a noise.

... Went back to Kia but they charge an arm and leg for everything ...
Now that's something totally unexpected, and comes as a huge surprise to me :wink2:

Yes, I'm not a big fan of stealership service, and sadly stories like this are far too common. I DIY everything possible, and use an independent shop for what little I cannot do myself. However, it sounds like you don't DIY, which is far more common than those of us who do. Based on what you wrote, IMO you have 2 possible choices.

You could do nothing now, and just await further developments. The noise may go away (it does sometimes happen). But if the noise gets worse, or something else happens, action would likely be required at that point.

The other choice (if the noise bothers you that much) is to find a good independent shop that will do what you request. Ask them to remove the serpentine belt, and start it up with you present and listening. This would need to be done with the vehicle fully warmed-up, in order to duplicate the conditions of the noise (assuming of course the noise will always happen). The vehicle can be run without the belt for a minute or so with no issue. If you don't hear the noise with the belt off, then it's definitely coming from somewhere in the belt loop. If so, the mechanic can also examine the pulleys for play/noise. Although I may be wrong, I don't believe the stealership did this test.

You would of course have to pay for this work to be done. If you feel like this is something you want to do, first request a quote from the shop for removing the serpentine belt, doing the test, and reinstalling the belt. Then you can decide if you want to proceed with it, based on what the cost will be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts