Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know what Kia has in place to achieve the 173 HP? The average 2.4 L DOHC has around 150 HP from other manufacturers. I'm sure that it is several things combined like cams, exhaust, intake and what not, but I am curious about this Variable Intake System. Mitsubishi used to put a 2.4 SOHC in their Eclipse and it output around 150 HP. That's the same as the motors with DOHC and I find it quite interesting. I know what the VIS does, but wonder how effective it is. Any thoughts or info on this would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
The 2.4L DOHC engine from GM is rated around 172 hp and the the 2.4L DOHC from Chrysler is rated at 173 hp. Its becoming a normal expectation to achieve this horsepower out of this size engine today.

·
Registered
973 Posts
eclipse's are super underpowered anyway, even though their owners would like to think differently
lol
according to one of my instuctors at UTI (we were just talking about my car one day, I didn't go ask him so I could post lol) The Variable Valve Timing has a lot to do with it too, most cars are going to some sort of vvt nowadays

·
Registered
708 Posts
look at any 2.4L with some sort of VVT they all have about 175 hp

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info thanks guys. My curiosity actually extends to the point of the acceleration of the 2.4. I have the 6 speed and it seems like the car only responds to throttle in a certain range. Example: Let's just say there is 6" of total pedal travel. Once you get past the dead spot at the beginning, only about 2" to 3" of pedal depression seem to make a difference. Anything after that seems to be useless. The VIS caught my attention as it appears to be vacuum operated, but I have not had time to thoroughly explore this theory yet. Just wanted to see what others thought about. Does anyone else notice the absence of throttle after reaching a certain point?

·
Registered
973 Posts
theres no more throttle after a certain point when, say, your in 5th gear accelerating from 40mph
drop it into 2nd or maybe 3rd and there is more throttle, its just gearing
you floor it in 5th gear at a speed lower than like 75 and you arent going to get much

·
Registered
432 Posts
Good info thanks guys. My curiosity actually extends to the point of the acceleration of the 2.4. I have the 6 speed and it seems like the car only responds to throttle in a certain range. Example: Let's just say there is 6" of total pedal travel. Once you get past the dead spot at the beginning, only about 2" to 3" of pedal depression seem to make a difference. Anything after that seems to be useless. The VIS caught my attention as it appears to be vacuum operated, but I have not had time to thoroughly explore this theory yet. Just wanted to see what others thought about. Does anyone else notice the absence of throttle after reaching a certain point?
I know what you mean, and it's annoying... :mad:

I like when you actually feel like you're controlling the engine with the gas pedal. IE: you give it half throttle, you get half power.

With the Forte (and a lot of electronic throttle equiped cars), it feels like the power is the same at 1/2 throttle and at WOT.

·
Registered
973 Posts
oooh and i did a write up on the cdv valve
lol
idk about the 2.4 slave cylinder location though (internal or external) anyone have a look?
2.0 it's straight behind the radiator, dead center
super easy to get to from under the car, pain in the ass to get to from above (probably have to remove the air box all the way and all)
it really helps a bit, less time your clutch is slipping the more time it's engaged!

·
Registered
161 Posts
i totally understand and agree with you. i have driven manuals before and this is the first car i have ever stalled more then once. the dead spot kills me LOL!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
.... it seems like the car only responds to throttle in a certain range. Example: Let's just say there is 6" of total pedal travel. Once you get past the dead spot at the beginning, only about 2" to 3" of pedal depression seem to make a difference. Anything after that seems to be useless. ..... Does anyone else notice the absence of throttle after reaching a certain point?
When the car first came out and the car magazines reviewed it, they all noticed that you got most of the throttle in the first 25% of pedal movement. I assumed that this was because of the 'drive by wire' setup. Am I wrong?

Is 'drive by wire' sort of like the mouse on my computer? I move the mouse and the cursor moves, but there is no direct physical linkage between the mouse and the cursor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.