Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Velossa-Tech Big Mouth Intake clearly works at providing air to your engine filter - for both turbo and non-turbo cars. Obviously, air gets packed into the intake and increases the faster you go. Kia put a plate in the way of incoming air - and for a reason: dirt avoidance.

Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle

After installing the Velossa-Tech Big Mouth Intake I became aware of my hood insulator getting dirty above the filter while using the aFe Takeda Stage 2 Intake:

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

I do not drive off road or on dirt roads. There are some roads that have sand on them. Even if you drive through someone mowing a yard you'll pick up grass clippings. A closed filter (factory or Takeda Stage 1, for example) will still get the dirt in it.

If you use the Velossa-Tech Big Mouth Intake, be sure to check your filter more often. You'll be surprised how dirty it can get now! I was!

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
977 Posts
The Velossa-Tech Big Mouth Intake clearly works at providing air to your engine filter - for both turbo and non-turbo cars. Obviously, air gets packed into the intake and increases the faster you go. Kia put a plate in the way of incoming air - and for a reason: dirt avoidance.

View attachment 88475

After installing the Velossa-Tech Big Mouth Intake I became aware of my hood insulator getting dirty above the filter while using the aFe Takeda Stage 2 Intake:

View attachment 88476

View attachment 88477

I do not drive off road or on dirt roads. There are some roads that have sand on them. Even if you drive through someone mowing a yard you'll pick up grass clippings. A closed filter (factory or Takeda Stage 1, for example) will still get the dirt in it.

If you use the Velossa-Tech Big Mouth Intake, be sure to check your filter more often. You'll be surprised how dirty it can get now! I was!
Nice write up. Been considering this for my 2.0L because CAIs are so expensive

Reactions: ForteGT2

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, Wagner-Tuning Intercooler, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice write up. Been considering this for my 2.0L because CAIs are so expensive
THE BIGGEST problem with the 2019-up Fortes with the 2.0 is that Kia is now using a MAF sensor - first Kia I know of that does. I always liked that Kia used a MAP so I could benefit from an aftermarket intake. The MAF sensor prevents an aftermarket intake from providing a big change because the amount of air flowing through the MAF is the same regardless of intake you use (currently factory, AEM or personal mod) - you could put a 4" tube on it but the air HAS to go through the MAF "bottleneck". I think the Velossa-Tech Big Mouth intake would benefit the 2.0 at speed - not off the line - but once you get going the ram effect will help get air through the MAF from a pressure wave.

Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2020 Cerato GT
796 Posts
Great write up. You're not wrong about the extra dirt.

This is my filter after about 6 months of use:
Waste container Waste containment Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt

After a cleaning this is what it should look like. And did look like after 12 months of use without the snorkel.

Automotive tire Tread Camera accessory Gas Cylinder

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Your pictures give a better example than a write-up does!

Owners using the Velossa-Tech snorkel/intake need to be aware that their filter will get dirty faster - and to check it more often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts