Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll bet that will be the turbo we will see in the koup.

According to the enthusiasts site Hyunda-Blog, the Korean automaker will unveil a turbocharged version of the Veloster at the fast-approaching New York International Auto Show. Following its New York debut, the turbocharged Veloster will arrive on dealer lots with a 2012 model year designation.
Like the naturally aspirated version of the Veloster, the turbocharged version will displace 1.6L, but output will be raised from 138 horsepower to 208. That power will put the Veloster just about on par with the MINI Cooper S and Volkswagen Golf GTI.
No performance figures were leaked, but we expected the Veloster turbo’s performance to be pretty brisk. Despite the added performance, look for the car’s EPA rating to be near the 40mpg mark.
Check back for more details when the New York show kicks off on April 19.

Report: 2012 Hyundai Veloster turbo to debut in NY, pack 208hp

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
I bet your right. I hope Kia confirms a turbo version of the Koup at this show so we can stop speculating and I can start getting real about making plans of trading up!

·
Registered
708 Posts
depending on turbo size, dp size and catback size.. i bet that thing could be made pretty fun with a tune and bolt ons...

hell the chevy cruze picked up like 40whp and 60 wtrq with just a tune lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
I bet your right. I hope Kia confirms a turbo version of the Koup at this show so we can stop speculating and I can start getting real about making plans of trading up!
Exactly. I'm in the same position. I'm actually excited about this Veloster Turbo. I wish KIA can stop being so tight lipped on their plans with the Koup. I'm also keeping my eye on the rumored turbo KIA Rio Hatch.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i wouldnt never settle for the lowest grade kia... no matter how fast

Exactly. I'm in the same position. I'm actually excited about this Veloster Turbo. I wish KIA can stop being so tight lipped on their plans with the Koup. I'm also keeping my eye on the rumored turbo KIA Rio Hatch.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i wouldnt never settle for the lowest grade kia... no matter how fast
There is nothing wrong with fast turbo'd sh!t boxes ;)

I would really be suprised if Kia came out with a boosted Koupe. Most everyone will be trading in, and Kia wont be making as much money.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'll bet that will be the turbo we will see in the koup.

No performance figures were leaked, but we expected the Veloster turbo’s performance to be pretty brisk. Despite the added performance, look for the car’s EPA rating to be near the 40mpg mark.
Check back for more details when the New York show kicks off on April 19.

Report: 2012 Hyundai Veloster turbo to debut in NY, pack 208hp
chevy's got a new hatch about to be unveiled with a 1.4 turbo ecotec and 6 speed manual. The bowtie is finally getting things right again!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
hopefully kia can install that turbo on mine..probably not.

thats one sexy rio!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We will have the same 1.8 gdi as the new Elantra for the base engine and the 1.6 gdi turbo for the SX,we will see next year, if i am right.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also means,if you want 300hp,turbokits is the way to go an the cheapest to,it will cost you much more and have less hp to exchange for a 2012.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I doubt a turbo put together for the 1.6liter Veloster would be shared with the larger engine in the Forte.

Though this and the Toyota/Scion FT-86 have me intrigued enough to continue putting off my purchase until I have a chance to compare those to the Forte.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^ If I could have waited for the FT-86 I would have.
I'm curious about the new re vamp they did and if they put the right motor in it I'd be thinking dam it should have waited ;)

As far as this turbo kia rio I like the idea of a small car with a turbo
but sorry I'm not in awe of its styling but each too there own ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Honestly the best bet for a Forte Koup Turbo is to just run a smaller/quicker turbo and the GDI 2.0L engine. There is already a set up for a turbo on the engine they just have to slap on a smaller turbo and run a lower PSI, you can get 230-250HP for a Koup that would be rockin. A tune on the stock set up would net 30-50 HP and there is always the option to buy the bigger and badder turbo from the Optima and have an OEM "Stage II" for the Koup. Then with parts and tune you can have a 300HP Koup.

That is how Mitsubishi set up the Ralliart, it is just an Evo engine with a smaller turbo and less PSI.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts