Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks I have returned from a day of Motorsport testing!!!

1st: There was a $150hr Dynojet session that netted five runs--including my custom designed spectre system intake, reverting back to 100% stock on the intake side, and running with a drop-in K&N. The folks debating a drop-in K&N--I have some news for you!

2nd: A second gear romp with an Integra R. (how the car did..)

3rd: Reconfiguration of the coupe (What I did after the dyno runs...)

Last but not least, are the next steps in the development of power.

Tonight or tomorrow I will be posting some very cool pix and a dyno run on video via youtube. Our cars sound great with intakes and exhaust!

I am hoping we can get a completely stock auto Koup dynoed. I am contemplating returning the Roxy (Coup-auto) to stock and doing 2 runs on the DynoJet if no-one volunteers.

Stay tuned... moving and uploading files... It's Friday!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'd be more than happy to volunteer, but I don't move to San Diego till September... Dang.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well folks I have returned from a day of Motorsport testing!!!

1st: There was a $150hr Dynojet session that netted five runs--including my custom designed spectre system intake, reverting back to 100% stock on the intake side, and running with a drop-in K&N. The folks debating a drop-in K&N--I have some news for you!

2nd: A second gear romp with an Integra R. (how the car did..)

3rd: Reconfiguration of the coupe (What I did after the dyno runs...)

Last but not least, are the next steps in the development of power.

Tonight or tomorrow I will be posting some very cool pix and a dyno run on video via youtube. Our cars sound great with intakes and exhaust!

I am hoping we can get a completely stock auto Koup dynoed. I am contemplating returning the Roxy (Coup-auto) to stock and doing 2 runs on the DynoJet if no-one volunteers.

Stay tuned... moving and uploading files... It's Friday!!

ok ,now you got me drooling :D
I was thinking doing the drop-in K&N filter , can't wait , come on, come on
what's the news?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm trying to decide on the drop in filter as well, can't wait to see some actual numbers!

·
Registered
298 Posts
come on..........lol:p

When I clicked on this thread i was hopping to see numbers (drop in K&N) Can't wait to see the post and vids.

Also thanks for doing this!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK, I will break this into a few posts..Here is the first dyno run

First let me set the stage on the dyno:

Dyno Run One: Best run of the day with Spectre System 151.61whp
(Keep in mind that this is a open hood dyno at 70 degrees with fans blowing cold air on the motor.)

Dyno Run Five: Completely stock intake system with Charcoal filter installed. This is bone stock.

*Please note that I have an exhaust on the car (including a 2nd cat delete) and this is helping the numbers improve over a completely stock car.

We will calculate true WHP using 3 drivetrain losss percentages (20%--low loss, 25%--High loss, and 23%--Predicted)

Stock HP Calculations:
>Crank HP: 165 (CA Model)
>Calculate Low WHP 20% Stock=134.8WHP
>Calculate Predicted WHP 23% Stock=127.1WHP
>Calculate High WHP 25% Stock=123.7WHP

20% low drivetrain loss Indicated WHP/WTQ: 151.6whp / 145.7 wft lbs
181.2BHP / 174.8 ft lbs

25% high drivetrain loss Indicated WHP/WTQ: 151.6whp / 145.7 wft lbs
189.5BHP / 182.1 ft lbs

We feel that 23% is more likely so...

23% Predicted drivetrain loss Indicated WHP/WTQ:
151.6whp / 145.7 wft
186.5BHP / 179.2 ft lbs

Predicted Difference from Stock quoted HP:
(186.5bhp-165bhp)= 21.5bhp (or 16.8 WP)

I can feel this difference in the way the car pulls with the intake and the sound!

Here is the Dyno Run Video--enjoy that intake and exhaust note!

Hi Res pic on the dyno:

K&N When I get back from Coffee...

·
Registered
696 Posts
No one can drink coffee this long.... :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dyno Update #2--Is there a difference in a drop-in K&N?

There was a small measured gain between K&N and stock. The car get's the best mileage with this setup.

I am sure that the numbers for Dyno Run one (151WHP Short RAM) would probably lose 3-4 HP due to intake temps in the real world. Any intake for the Forte must be a CAI to ensure these gains are realized. You simply don't drive around with your hood open and this needs to be taken into consideration when dyno testing short rams. Using that logic this is the best "real world" solution due to good gains from flow and cold air.

Dyno 3 is K&N
Dyno 4 is bone stock.

The gain isn't huge but the motor is more responsive with the K&N drop-in. You can see this with close examination of the seperation of the lines across the band

Final thought--It's worth the money in my opinion and a cheap way to get better mileage and drivability. I reverted to this setup and will be rigging a ram air to the car.

A ram air scoop is something I am considering for the stock airbox to force air into it's chamber. It would probably be a small HP jump and improvement in flow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
soar4fun , first of, thank you for doing this report it's very helpful to decide which way to go
question:confused: : in your set up, do u think that if you had kept the airbox and placed the filter downward into the box by adding a 90degree , you would have got more cool air coming from the front ?
also did you replace your pulley with a light weight one ?

once again thanks a million

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
soar4fun , first of, thank you for doing this report it's very helpful to decide which way to go
question:confused: : in your set up, do u think that if you had kept the airbox and placed the filter downward into the box by adding a 90degree , you would have got more cool air coming from the front ?
also did you replace your pulley with a light weight one ?

once again thanks a million
The only way to do it right is a sealed airbox or get the filter out of the engine bay. Under the foglamp would work for a remote filter.

Big News--I have been contacted by AEM. I will be working with them on a CAI and exhaust.

PS: Yes, I have a lightweight Crank Pulley. No true HP gain but faster revving of the motor.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Interesting results ! Some observations :

It isn't all about the peak hp# , area under the curve across the band is important . The K&N showed really nice torque gains down low , you would feel this in everyday driving on the street . The sri showed good hp & torque gains up top where you would expect it but seldom are in daily driving and actually may have lost a little torque down low .

It is hard to tell where the a/f ratio is at tip in from closed loop to open loop but it appears at wot to go very rich at @ 10:1 from stoich 14.7 . That is pretty rich for a n/a car which should be around 12.5 - 13.5 wouldn't you think ? It could be that the ecm can't adapt quickly enough to the airflow changes .

·
Registered
142 Posts
soar4fun : what are you contemplating with this 'ramair' idea , a hood scoop of some sort , maybe a shaker ? The gains you achieved were impressive , i wonder how much could be attributed to the exhaust mods , maybe 50% or do you think more ? Do you think a non-Cali spec car would show the same overall #'s .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey felllas,

Sorry I took Sunday/Monday off.

ForteSX2.4:
Its hard to remember this stock but it was waaaay slower, less efficient, and a night difference in useful HP. You can feel it in the wayy the cars feels zippy now. Zippy is fun

I think you would see the most bang for the buck is the k&n and exhaust for anyone wanting some go fast an economy mode fun.

On the TCS--It was off.

H

1 - 20 of 57 Posts